ADI at fangoria.

tropic, Undefined, 16 years ago

this was posted on imdb by some guy called diablo rosso.he was there

I went on Saturday. Nothing was shown other than a promo reel with footage of ADI's past work including some stuff from the first AVP. Colin Strause showed up as a surprise guest along with Tom Woodruff, Jr. and Alec Gillis but they were very tight lipped about the movie. Colin did mention that there would be some CGI effects mixed with the practical work like the Alien tongue strikes, which apparently can't be done while a person is wearing the suit, and some chestbursting stuff. Someone did ask during the Q&A if the Predator's face would look better than it did in the first movie, which made some people in the audience laugh, and Alec responded by saying that this Predator didn't have any "romantic leading man" guidelines from the Strause Brothers, which made it sound like that particular mandate was made by Paul Anderson on the first film. Alec said that fans would be very happy with this Predator and that they were very much inspired by the designs from the first two movies.

There was an autograph session afterwards where I had the opportunity to chat for a few brief minutes with Colin Strause. I asked about the trailer and Colin mentioned that they were finishing up a few FX shots and that the studio may release it with one of the two big movies they have out this summer - the FANTASTIC FOUR sequel or the new DIE HARD. He also mentioned that they would have a much bigger presence at the San Diego Comic-Con this summer, which I will definitely be attending, and that the lack of information has had much to do with the Ain't It Cool script review. The people at Fox were apparently furious about that and have been very strict about what information gets released to the fans. Colin also mentioned that the script that was reviewed was an old draft that they never even read and that the movie they were working on was very different. I had to ask about the K-mart thing and he laughed saying, "there's no *beep* K-Mart!"

Other bits of interest:

Tom Woodruff, Jr. said it was the Strause Bros. who specifically wanted the ridged heads for the new Aliens. They are fans of that particular look (Tom actually sculpted the heads of the Alien Warriors in James Cameron's movie).

Colin said that the tone of the sequel was going to be similar to the first two Alien movies but that the pacing was going to be more along the lines of James Cameron's ALIENS.

Tom did mention that a new creature would be involved in a hospital scene in AVP II (also, the moderator of the Q&A slipped out the word "crossbreed" while telling the audience what the guests were limited to say about the movie). I think I like that term better than "Predalien."

Tom also mentioned that he and his partner, Alec Gillis, have yet to see any footage from the movie but that the Strause Bros. were going to screen a rough cut for them in the next few weeks

thanks man.

black_warrior, Undefined, 16 years ago

This is sounding great!

I am really likeing how they are wanting to stick or go along the lines of the First 2 Pred movies and James Cameron's ALIENS.

AND NO K-Mart! Although i think the idea was WalMart. Lets hope that isnt in there either.

Btw. Nice find!

City-Hunter, Undefined, 16 years ago

Sounds great. I am anxous.. I know I should know this for a Predator fan but weren't the Strauss brothers the writers of Predator?

no sorry

To me or to BW?

you u fool.jim and john thomas wrote predator,lol.

black_warrior, Undefined, 16 years ago

I am glad there is no Walmart or K-Mart scene is what i meant in my last post. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Stalker, Undefined, 16 years ago

Well from what I've been hearing in these interviews the movie definitely has alot of potential, it really sounds like the Strausse bros. are trying their hardest to make the best film possible, & that definitely deserves some merit. Let's just hope it lives up to expectations.

Ok, then who are the Strauss brothers? I gotta know them from somewhere.

-Bloo-, Undefined, 16 years ago

I think they directed another action movie but I can't put my finger on it. At first I thought I knew them but then I thought "Wichowski bros." and changed my mind.

I can't wait to see that "crossbreed".

Stalker, Undefined, 16 years ago

They've done alot of special effects work in the past, including both movies & music videos- everything from James Cameron's Titanic to Gatorade commercials. AVP2 though will be their first feature film.

As far as the "crossbreed" is concearned, it should definitely be interesting to see what they come up with, as no canon design for the predalien has yet been layed out, so the possibilities are wide open.

solo_pred, Undefined, 16 years ago

No offense to people who dont want a K-mart or walmart scene but i think that might be pritty cool like an alien in the store running around being hunted by a pred and they get in a huge fight killing innocent Bystanders... that would be pritty cool.

It sounds like it should be better from what tropic posted and some stuff iv read.

-Bloo-, Undefined, 16 years ago

Not really, because that would be a mockery to Predators everywhere; they don't kill innocent bystanders. And weilding a leaf rake does not make you innocent.

solo_pred, Undefined, 16 years ago

I didnt mean intentanly by predators bloo i ment by like nocking things of shelves hiting people in head busting things up and ya a garnen rake would make you not so innocent but they could get torn up by an xeno because they are stupid enough to try to kill the thing. besides its my opinion thats what i think and you think it wouldent be so cool but you know ill stick to my opinion.