Ripley?

god_of_blades, Undefined, 17 years ago

I only just found this out but Ripley was supposed to be played by a man.....

GOB.jpg

MessageboardRules

^click here if new^

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

I would belive that because wen i was little i bought a alien toy and it was ltn.Ripley and a alien but Ripley was a man!

( I hope thats rite short for for loutenant(and good spelling))

Scarefacesigrem.png

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Well, it's true, for one.

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the mental house got caught."

Angus_Alien, Undefined, 17 years ago

Yeah, I heard about this a few years back. On the 1997 DVD, I believe.

Alien was actually a milestone film, in that it featured the first successful female hero role. Ellen Ripley is actually somewhat responsible for other women hero-like characters in movies, such as Elektra, however the same effect has never been duplicated.
I think part of what makes the Alien franchise so iconic is due in part to Ripely, the women, not man, who saves the day. It's empowering, and different. It works... it works well.

Angus.jpg

Exactly why I just came up with the message 'female lead' instead of giving the guy's name. I don't think ALIEN would be the same with a man. And don't get me wrong, I like DOOM and Halo as much as the next guy, but...

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

This particular bit of info is no news to me, it's something I've known for quite a long time. The role was originally intended for a man, although to avoid the cliche' of a male action hero, & to make the role more interesting, they searched for a female lead instead. The name of the actor who was originally going to play Ripley escapes me at the moment though.

thorndesignssig.jpg

god_of_blades, Undefined, 17 years ago

Yes i could'nt imagine Ripley being a man....

GOB.jpg

MessageboardRules

^click here if new^

Yes, she WAS intended to be male. Yet they wanted something out of the ordinary -- a female hero. And Ripley sounds more like a female lead to me.

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

Well i dont know if this bit would have anything to do with it but i remember reading somewere that they were trying to add an element homosexual intimacy between all there charcters, which in my oppinion was most portrayed in alien ressurection by Page and Ripley. Once again i dont know if that would change any of it though.

ash, Undefined, 17 years ago

lol were did you find that out, and if you think about it, she is a bit like a guy as the movies went on, i.e the bold head in number three lol

if ur an alien fan then you can come to me and ask to join our clan