Did Anyone think that AVP was a little fair?

Alienation, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Don't say that I am not on Anderson's side, but I just watched AVP again and realized that the predator had more kills than the aliens.

How about rating this from 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10?

the dashes is like .5

I would rate it as 6.5 or something

ALienationSig.jpg

I AM THE WARRIOR ALIEN OF THE HIVE
.::MESSAGEBOARD RULES::.

black_warrior, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

lol I know. but it was the first thing i thought of when i read that.

new-Black-sig.jpg

THE EVIL FURBY IN MY SIG IS WATCHING YOU!!!

.:Message Board, RPG Rules & Information:.<--Click it

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

Stalker, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

That was a terrible pun m8, lol.

thorndesignssig.jpg

black_warrior, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I totally agree with Stalker on this one. Alot of things were changed that I just didnt like. I thought the longer wristblades were cool when i first saw them, but I just thought they were uneeded after awhile. I rate it a 6/10.

and lol Stalk "Wheras in AVP, they were nowhere near as impressive as their predecessors."

new-Black-sig.jpg

THE EVIL FURBY IN MY SIG IS WATCHING YOU!!!

.:Message Board, RPG Rules & Information:.<--Click it

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

Paul Anderson remarked that the dreads on his predators were known as "romantic dreadlocks" meant to look longer, have more elegance, etc.

I personally didn't like them at all, they looked far too excessive, completely engulfing Scar's upper body. Celtic's dreadlocks were shorter, & much better looking in my opinion, along with the dreadlocks on the predators from the first 2 movies.

thorndesignssig.jpg

Yeah, I did not like them either. Short hair(or original hair) would be more appropriate for him. It is Anderson made the movie when the dinosaurs lived meaning that he made everything longer.

And you know what I mean right about when the dinsaurs lived since there was double the oxygen back then which was how it got the creatures to be huge. Sorry, this is spam. :(

ALienationSig.jpg

Hey, Stalker, you know what I also noticed when you showed the original and AVP armor, I looked at the hair and it was pretty long from the original predator's hair.

ALienationSig.jpg

So I see now, most people rated it around the 6's. I will try averaging---- 6.44/10

This is the average.

ALienationSig.jpg

Unknown, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

i would rate it about 6.2 ish. and im not goin 2 say any thing eles.

In my eyes, Anderson viewed the predators in particular as being shallow. Everything about them in AVP seemed to be unnessecerily bigger & fancier. Take the wristblades for example. What once was a believable, compact close-quarters weapon, now amounted to little more than a pair of swords extending from the wrist gauntlet.

Here's a direct example: Wristblade comparison

The same goes for the plasmacaster. In the first 2 movies, it was a powerful, yet compact weapon, which was one of the predator's most useful & hunting tools. Yet in AVP, it amounted to little more than a plasma-spewing turret mounted on Scar's shoulder. In the one sequence of the film when we actually saw the plasmacaster being used (minus the flashback scene), all Scar did was sit at the end of the corridor, & fire off caster rounds at the aliens like a coward.

Another example is in their armour & body shape. In the Predator movies, the armour was designed to be not only extremely durable, but lightweight & maneouverable as well. Wheras in AVP, the predators looked like walking tanks wearing battle armour. Doesn't make alot of sense to me for a hunter to look like an armoured fortress.

AVP armour
Original predator armour

It's a shame really, as some more articulation & less horrible & excessive bulk could have actually made the AVP style work quite well.

There is alot more I could add to this subject, but I think what I've said so far explains it enough. Paul Anderson simply viewed the predators in a shallow light, & simply wanted to make them as large & dazzling as possible.

thorndesignssig.jpg

Voltage-3000, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

i was pissed when i found out the human survived

Voltage.jpg

Mishmuf, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. (Yay!!! An analogy using chickens!!!) Anyway, what that means is I wouldn't count AvP2 as a good thing until it's out.

Mishmuf_02.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

nostromo, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

the long wrist blades takes the brazey out of close range combat. u can just stand there with ur wrist blades out and ur enemy would run rite into it. the effects looked good though, and if paul didnt ,make avp, we wouldnt have avp2(the movie)

To be honest, I think the first 3/4 of the movie was completely one-sided. Grid took out both Celtic & Chopper within 3 minutes. The only time when the preds started getting some payback was after Scar managed to retrieve his plasmacaster & shoot down about 4 aliens, which proves that in Anderson's eyes, predators are worthless without their weapons.

The creatures themselves (both preds & aliens) were too radically altered in the movie, & somewhat alienated most fans of the series, as the creatures which were portrayed were too different from the ones which they had originally known & loved. The predators went from being cunning, agile, deadly hunters, into giant gladiator-like figures stomping around with some fancy-looking blades. The aliens were also changed for the worse too, amounting to little more than extra-terrestrial raptors.

One of the worst changes which was made in my opinion was the decision to alter the predator's face to such a high degree. The predator is one of the most unique & recognisable creatures ever created, with such a unique & menacing look. Wheras in AVP, they were nowhere near as impressive as their predecessors. Scar's mandibles seemed to hang out at the side of his face, showing off his pathetic looking new smile & making him look like some Mr. Bean knock-off with dreadlocks. Tom Woodruff Jr. even stated that they changed the predator's look to give it more character &....... humanise it!! . A predator is not a damn human, & is not meant to be, maybe they should get that through their thick heads.

Overall, mostly because of the horrible creature work & lack of actual decent fights, I'd give AVP a 6/10.

thorndesignssig.jpg

so whatwould you rank it?

ALienationSig.jpg

shadowatching, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

i thought it showed the grace on fighting from both sides the alien and the pred.s it showed how each would react I would of liked more fighting but hay at least it showed the graceful fighting and i did not know they did not use c g i hmmmm i learned something new

Shadowatching_02.jpg

I want to hear you scream my name

Mishmuf, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I understand that they could add in some character into the preds, but they didn't just add character, they altered how the preds behave. They should've been cunning, stealthy hunters, but were intead the opposite. They were huge, bulkie behemoths that hardly used stealth. I can understand tryng to change it up a lttle, but they completely altered the formula.

And the reason the they didn't have the huge, stabe-jump in the first movies was because A) they didn't need to jump that high, and B) they didn't have the CG to do it . Hell, they didn't even have CG.

I'll admit, the mandible movements were much smoother, but the mandibles themselves were curved out of the way to show the predator's goofy teeth.

Looking at it from a totally non-pred fan point of view, it was alright, but it failed in it's very premise. There were only 2 fights major fights between the creatures, both of which only lasted a maximum of 5 or 6 minutes. I'll just give it a 6 out of 10.

Mishmuf_02.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

Kidd, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I'll give it a 7.5.

Even though I don't know too much about these two races, but what I learned by reading what yall posted, also, seeing the mistakes that yall pointed out in the movies. I have to say, it's really good.
The reason why I said it's really good, is because, look at that one scene. The Yautja did a really cool trick as he super jumped and impaled his spear into the Queen's head. You won't see that trick in the first two moves, so you have to put a plus on that. Also, look how the mandibles moved. They all seem to move independently, like a pair of human lips. So what about their size not matching the first two predators. It gives off a question that, they are part of a whole other clan, so I heard that they live like Tribal people or the like. You can't just say, they are disgraceful way to show a predator, for it is like saying, that all people on the earth should be White, or Black, or any other color, OR, they should only be fit. not too skinny, too fat, nor too bulky. You got to add some character to a race, right?
I know there are multiple mistakes in AVP, like the Yautja could've skinned those guards that were outside, gaurding the tunnel, but I assume that Anderson, didn't want to scare the children, so he only had them hang them up as the way they are, and THUS, making it a PG-13 movie.

Now to the Xenomorphs. From what I saw from Aliens, compare to the movie AVP. What they done, really made them come to life in MY oppinion, but also, my knowledge is limited about their movement, styles and behaviors.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In the moment of action remember the value of Silence and Order.
-Phormia of Athens