1st Law

hyroglphsarenice, Undefined, 17 years ago

for those of you who dont know what 1st law is, it is the law that no synthic person cant let a live one come to harm. for instance bishop was under these rules. but i have a question was ash under these rules? cause he kinda tried to kill riply, but i thin i remember somthing about ash being to old of a model or something...

also cant this law become a paradox? i mean what happens when a synthetic is caught inbetween to human opposing forces? because according to the law he cant let either be harmed.

Hyro_01.jpg
"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster." ~Nietzche

Skystalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

Since you quoted Isaac Asimov's first law, here is my arguement. The 1st law states: "A Robot may not harm, or by omission, allow a human being to come to harm." The Second law of Robotics states: " A Robot Must obey any and all commands given to it by a human being, unless this conflicts with the 1st law." "The Third law states: " A robot must protect its own existence at all costs, except when this may conflict with the 1st or 2nd law." All these laws came into conflict with one another, but there is one law that, unless you are completely into Isaac Asimov's robot novels, you will not know, is the Zeroith law. " A robot may not harm humanity, or through omission allow humanity to come to harm." My point in case is that, Ash's programming may have had an alterior motive in researching the Alien, of course you could just argue that Weyland-Utani just wanted to create an army of aliens, but what if there was a more say pure motive behind finding the Alien? Perhaps they needed to study it to learn how it operates and in case one ever comes to earth they could effectively learn how to fight the alien or aliens, as the Zeroith law overrides all the other laws programmed into the robots brain at the time.

All this of course hypothizing the robots in the Alien movie timeline are programmed to the specifications the robots on Asimov's novels.

*edit* Sorry about the text dave, i fixed it, one of those things that slip by me again.

Yautjasig2.png
I Am The Shadow On The Moon At Night
Filling Your Dreams To The Brim With Fright

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

Ash had probably been tampered with by Weyland Yutani. His strict objectives were to bring back the Alien, & "crew expendable" was clearly on that list. To that extent, they probably tampered with him & allowed him to be able to violate the 1st law. Bishop also remarked that Ash's model was always a bit twitchy, although I have a feeling it had more to do with tampering from the beginning than just a simple fault or glitch.

thorndesignssig.jpg

daveberg, Undefined, 17 years ago

Synths can't alow harm to come to a human beings on someone elses part either.

Bishop quote:

'It is impossible for me to harm, or by mission of action, alow to be harmed a human being'

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

Crow, Undefined, 17 years ago

If I recall, the first law specifies that the synthetic human can't harm an organic human. Two organic humans can still hurt one another in front of a synth and not violate this law.

Ash, as Bishop explained in Aliens, was an extremely unstable model of synth and malfunctioned. That's what lead him to disregard the first law and try to kill Ripley.

Crow_04.jpg
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

Ash was a plant. Pure and simple. Weyland programmed him specifically to bring back the life form at any cost, the crew meant nothing in the grander scheme of things.

Listen to Burke when he talks with Ripley about bringing back the Aliens;

'These specimens are worth millions to the Bio Weapons division...'

That's all the company ever wanted from the aliens, a unique, deadly war machine, capable of wiping out any and all enemies.

Skystalker - please ammend your sig, only three lines of txt are permitted beneath a signature image. Thanks.

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

Okay, let me put it this way. Bishop said that he'd had the 'behavioural inhibitors' placed in him, those would've had Aismov's rules on 'em, and as Ash was an older model, he probably didn't have the inhibitors, so he probably wasn't programmed with Aismov's rules at all.

0.jpg

Ok when were the 'Robot' commandments implemented? I'm sure Ash had just been modified by the company 'protocol' to achieve their ultimate goal, that of bringing back a xenomorph for financial gain towards placing the aliens in global combat for the Bio Weapons division.

(No worries about the sig skystalker, thanks for that.)

www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

CuteFaceHugger, Undefined, 17 years ago

I think you thinking about Irobot and ash system messed up he couldnt control himself

CuteFaceHuggerGif.gif
MessageBoard Rules

Proud to be of The Hive
RUNNERS ROCK!