Iseijin, Xenomorph, 19 years ago

Well, different storylines can't help but occur because not only are people stating from their own point of view but they could be achieving different goals or fighting.

Think of the RPG as a tree. There's the trunk being the main storyline but as the RPG continues it expands to different branches. All those sub-plots connect to the main storyline but they are taking a slightly different direction to approach it. It is not necessarily bad, many good books have more than one sub-plot, but I have to admit that if restrictions are not made then it could throw the entire flow off course.

That being said, maybe when you mods are thinking up the main storyline you can also start tinkering with sub-plot ideas. It would be a welcomed change of pace to the participants (many were left wandering around aimlessly or waiting for long periods of time) and that way they will have a lesser chance of negatively interfering with the main storyline if they are busy with another.

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg
~ No one is taller than the last man standing ~
~ Males conquer, females rule ~

WRITING POSTS (Lesson I)

Writing is a form of communication, don’t want to say primitive, but has been around long enough for certain standards to be created including grammar, spelling, and composition. Unfortunately many of these standards were not met during the RPG and have created unnecessary friction between the writer (what they intended to say) and the reader (what they interpreted).

Once again, I must stress the importance of a well thought-out post; it is NOT an IM conversation nor notes that you pass to your friend in class. Other people are reading what you have to say and it’s only polite to treat them with some eye-candy. Not only does this show that you respect your audience but it’ll be easier to grab their attention and hold it. Nothing turns off a reader more than a post that looks as if your hands were having a seizure while you were typing. Please leave your “leet†language and abbreviations for IM, class, or regular posts.

I am not an expert in grammar nor spelling but I am proud to say that I have very little of these errors in my posts; it makes the audience feel as if I have taken my time for them. It is unfortunate to see that even though some of your ideas are wonderful that your ability to communicate that understanding is weak. Although it may seem simpler I do not suggest writing the same way you talk. Nobody speaks with perfect grammar (or pronunciation), nobody.

Here’s a tip I use and highly recommend: write out your post on a blank Word document or any other writing program that offers grammar and spelling check. You would be amazed at how much it helps and you can correct and edit at your leisure. Then all you have to do is right click, copy it, and paste it on you post. I admit it takes a little more time but it allows you to check over your work (again, there’s absolutely no reason to rush) before allowing the whole Board to view it. There will be times when some words will be filtered out but that’s why the edit button and the thesaurus are my best friends. Again, this method is a bit time consuming so it’s only recommended for RPG.

From a quick overview of grammar and spelling we go to what to write in those RPG posts, or content. It is not a secret: if you want to write better, read more. Apply what you read into your posts. Books are a great source to draw out ideas and inspiration (comics, aka: “graphic novelsâ€Â, will probably show how to write good conversations but it’ll do little to compose setting). And what better books to read (and so fitting for the occasion) than a few AvP novels? Not only will you get a grasp of the setting for the RPG but also you’ll be better prepared to use that writing style to your favor and get an idea on how to use your character properly. (Less than $10 in Books-A-Million people, it's a steal!)

ACTION - When writing action please include you surroundings and situation. Unless you tell the audience, no one but you will understand what’s going on and you’ll leave your readers behind. It’s not enough to write, “Y kicked X in the head.†It’s dull and monotonous. Use your senses; add sounds and smells, anything to make it more realistic; that you are actually there. Applying some imagination and flair can change that sentence to, “Y’s heel connected with his enemy’s head. The crack of the impact drowned all other sounds as X reeled from the force and howled in pain; blood dripped from his wound, a large drop of crimson blood slid next to his eyes glistening in revenge.†See how much more interesting the second sentence was? It grabs the reader’s attention and makes them want to know what happens next. It’s like fishing; good bait attracts big fish, all you have to do is keep them hooked!

THOUGHTS - Even though thought is a form of action (after all, thinking is a verb), its outcome is different. It’s not only what you see and do but also how you convey it, what it means to you. People will take different situations and process its meaning to their own significance. For example: let’s pretend that an Alien and a Predator are seizing each other, one on either side of an arena. A large knife is on the floor right in the middle of the two. The knife represents two different things depending on who’s POV (point of view): for the Predator it means a chance at victory, a weapon to wield; for the Alien it could mean certain death, an item that must be disposed of. Now only one thing is certain between the two: don’t let the other grab that knife! From a situation comes thought to give it meaning.

EMOTION - Now thought and emotion go hand in hand. You can’t have an opinion on something if it’s not emotionally connected. Emotions are not limited to love, anger, or sorrow. While those are the three main types of emotions, there’s a large variety more from which to choose from. Kind of like a box of colored pencils, the three main colors are red, blue and yellow, but if you mix and match those three an entire spectrum of different colors will appear. In a way, emotions are your reasons why you think. Anything that affects you emotionally (whether positive or negative) is a motive to your thoughts, which affects your actions. I guarantee that many readers will take more liking to your character because – even though it’s fictional – you have proven that you can act, think, and feel.

(End of Lesson I)
(Questions, Comments, and Suggestions open for discussion)

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

The "one post a day" rule... What about fights? The action is automatically fast-paced, it would be a bit strenous for you and your opponent to each write one post only to wait until the next day. I know there's kinks to be worked out, but in my oppinion, it's a little farfetched.

I mean, it's a good idea. I agree that people need to be limited on how much they post and to force them to add more to one post; but in the old rules it said that to be killed you have to fight for at least four consecutive posts. That's going to be hard for one a day.

How about people have a limit of at least two posts if they are not fighting and three if they are? It's still an interactive RPG, too much limitations and it takes the interactivity away.

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

daveberg, Xenomorph, 19 years ago

Point i was trying to illustrate is, the stories and sub stories in the recent RPG were set and people were totally deviating from them. The whole point of the major story was for the aliens to find a host for their superfacehugger. You blink once and people are already saying that there's a queen and they've almost killed it. Same for the little sub story with the preds and rogue preds, everyone kept on trying to bend it and interfere, it's ridiculous. Patience is definately not an attribute to most people who tried to participate last time around. The moderators should start the next one off setting a main story with four sub plots, from there, the rest of the board should be able to follow smoothly.

DB.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
D & R webz

(Please continue with your current discussions if they are not finished. I do not mean to abrubtly cut off.)

LESSON II – TIMING

Timing, probably one of the biggest obstacles in the RPG. Understandably it is difficult to set a good rhythm when forces beyond our control (such as school, parents, social life…) beckon us away from the computer. In this quick session I will try to help you understand the importance of timing and how to correctly apply it. Once again, I do not claim to be an expert on RPG principles so please excuse any oversight.

IMPORTANCE – There’s been times when an RPG has been thrown off course due to bad timing. Bad timing can be anything from impatience (a person thinks you take too long so they write out the next sequence without your consent), accidents (you writing your own post in response to the sequence only to later find that someone has already changed the course), to negligence (person is absent and writes out the next sequence of events right where they left off without even checking the current situation). The first two mostly happen during fights. It is extremely stressing to return to your RPG fight only to find that your opponent has taken complete control without you and turned the tables to their favor; some going as far as killing you in your absence. If this is the case, I DO NOT recommend the “don’t get mad, get even†rule. It won’t make matters better and could create unwanted aggression between you and your opponent either during the remainder of the RPG or through regular posts. The second type (accidents) is mainly due to unlucky coincidence and little can be done about it. No one takes blame for that one and if you are the one that gets stuck behind the other person then please consider using that edit button and revising your work so that it fits with the current storyline. While negligence is due to conscious irresponsibility and has not excuse. Please take the other participants into consideration when timing. It’s hard to get the hang of it but if you just be patient then this obstacle can be overcome.

HOW TO – One of the trickier sides of timing. From what I observed in the RPG people do have a general understanding of pacing but every now and then a kink develops that threatened to throw a storyline off course. Fortunately, this very rarely happened in the main storyline, it usually arose during fights (above reasons) and has a generally simple solution: patience. If your opponent was taking too long and you have an itching to impale them with your weapon, take a few steps away from the computer and calm down. There is a reasonable explanation why your opponent went AWOL in the middle of your clash and you have no right to backstab them in their absence. Most of time, your opponent will inform you beforehand that they are going to be out. Yet if you are like me and like to take your sweet little time writing novel-worthy posts (lol) then I guarantee that more than once you are going to post only to see that someone else put in their two cents on the situation and took the storyline on a different angle before you. Simple solution: edit button. Do some quick changes that fit with the plot and no one will be the wiser that you did a mistake; though I suggest you do it promptly, if you take too long then someone else could post their piece after you from what you originally posted and then cause a chain reaction.

In conclusion, timing is a problem that with tolerance and cooperation can be resolved. Be reasonable and fair, and practice patience where it is due. In battle, give your opponent a chance to defend/ attack. Don’t write more than two consecutive posts (double-posting) without allowing your opponent a chance to recuperate and strategize. It’s only fair. If you accidentally create a kink, try to fix it as soon as possible.

As a side note: I greatly suggest for all to start putting in your e-mail addresses on your profiles. That way, your opponent and/or friend can contact you with information and comments with greater ease. If you can IM each other, even better. Please consider.

(End of Lesson II)

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

IMPROVING YOUR RPG SKILLS

Topics to cover:

I. Writing posts
A. Grammar
B. Spelling
C. Content
1.Action
2.Thoughts
3.Emotions

II. Timing
A.Importance
B.How to

III. Etiquette
A.When to introduce your character
B.How to introduce your character
C.How to interact with other characters
1.Staying in character
D.Knowing your boundaries
1.Strengths
2.Weaknesses
3.Disabilities/ Natural handicaps from different characters
4.Weapons
E.Proper storyline intervening

IV. Fighting
A.Battle etiquette
1.Knowing your character’s abilities
2.When/ how to engage in a fight
3.Timing
4.Taking damage
a.How to deal with damage during/after fight
b.Healing
5.Attacking
a.Applying realism to attacks
b.How much damage?
6.Aliens/ Xenomorphs
a.Body as a weapon
7.Predators/ Yautja
a.Proper usage of weapons
8.Retreating from fights
9.Death/ dying

V. Strategies/ Interactivity
A.Going solo
1.Pros
2.Cons
B.Pairing up
1.Pros
2.Cons
C.Planning your strategy
1.Evaluating enemy
2.Best course of action for:
a.Solo
b.Pairs
D.Calling for help
E.Aiding others

VI. Other
A.Contacting others personally through RPG
B.Providing greetings and farewells
C.Miscellaneous

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

I am happy that you appreciate my work for this. Yes, it does take some time to get everything written (both on paper for the rough draft then typed) but knowing that others will benefit is rewarding in its own way. Even though I am no expert on RPG tactics and whatnot I still try my best to put anything I know into content. I'm applying experience with theory in order to bring a more stable foundation for future RPGs.

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

Oh, that's ok. I am not trying to force these tutorials down people's throats. It's here for when people need a reference to go to. I'm not expecting a medal or anything; just contributing what I know for the greater benefit of many. Besides, I volunteered to do it; a 'labor of love' if you will.

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

Your time and effort into producing these guides are much appreciated iseijin. Many thanks.

imgood.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
D & R webz

Quinn, Xenomorph, 19 years ago

nice Iseijin this is a good chance for rookies like me to learn how to do rpgs this must have taken a while.

"This Time Its War"

(Part II)

HOW TO INTERACT WITH… – Even though the RPG will contain a main storyline (and several sub-plots), the majority of the RPG the story will be seen through YOUR character’s eyes and whatever occurrences happen it is important that your character portrays them correctly and remains consistent. In other words, staying in character towards other participants and the plot.

Staying In Character – As yourself what your character wants to do. Does he/she want to conquer an enemy? Do they want to impress a potential mate? Is it personal or for the welfare of others? Were they forced to do it? Volunteered? These are just examples and there are many others. Just narrate whatever is it your character wants to be and do. Your POV should demonstrate how your character sees and thinks. Telling your story through his/her eyes will keep the story on track and the plot coherent. Individuality and personality are created from how the characters interact. Different methods of interaction will arise depending on what species you play as. Xenomorphs do not have a determined language but can communicate with sounds (hisses, grunts, roars, etc…) to reveal emotion and posses a wide variety of body language as well as chemical and electric signals for long distances. Yautja have a slighter advantage of being able to converse with their fellow Hunters verbally yet what is unfortunate is that many did not utilize it to its full potential. They declared – for example – that they opposed to someone’s idea; but without applying the proper grammar rules, the entire phrase (both the narration and speech) was one long sentence. Please apply quotation marks for speech.

For example (Yautja): “When his Leader’s words ceased, he was left with his blood frozen. Had the Leader gone mad? Surely his ‘plan’ would end up being a suicide mission. With a deep bow, he stepped forward. “Excuse me saying Leader, but certainly you have determined that not only is this strategy unreasonable it would danger the entire pack and –†But before he could finish, his Leader’s backhand crossed his face to silence him.â€Â

Note the quotation marks!

Example (Xenomorph): “The drone swiveled his head back and forth, hissing in anticipation. He sensed the Hunters approach and all he had to do was single out the weakest of their pack to be pregnated. With a low growl he turned to the rest of his comrades amidst the foliage. Some curled their tails, others extended their secondary jaws, and all were just as excited.â€Â

Note the lack of vocals does not hamper emotions or the idea of the phrase.

KNOWING YOUR BOUNDARIES – As human beings we have physical boundaries as well as psychological ones. We cannot run as fast as horses or retain a migratory pattern in our minds like birds but we can all do these things pretty well. Same with your character, they are bounded by their own abilities as well as disabilities.

Strengths – Mainly, physical strength, but strength also comes from your character’s attitude and personalities. Human beings have unlimited possibilities and unpredictability. That can be a weak point but it is also a strength. It makes characters more “human-likeâ€Â. Think about those aspects that cannot be unanticipated. Considering which species you play as, different strengths will arise that you can mold into your personality and exploit. Yautja are naturally strong, yet depending on your Yautja character you may possess different degrees of strength. Predators who focus on physical prowess will undoubtedly have greater strength than those who are leaner, yet maybe the lean ones sacrificed strength in order to gain speed. Other strengths include higher intellect, ability to track down opponents/prey, and mastery over a variety of weapons, as well as many others. Xenomorphs – despite their lithe physique – are quite strong in their own right but not as much as their Yautja opponents. Their strengths rely on camouflage (surprise attacks), speed and agility, and numbers. Again, depending on your character’s individuality you may find yourself having to sacrifice one feature for the other.

Weakness – Every positive aspect has a negative not too far behind. For Yautja their weakness could be their large size. Sure, it may have intimidated humans but it’ll do little to deter an experienced Xenomorph. Also, by being larger their agility is hampered and thus in a fight they will have to focus more on counterattacking and blocking rather than dodging. Communication could be their downfall too; Yautja will have to use loud sounds to communicate, giving away their position should a Xenomorph hear it. On the other hand, Xenomorphs could be far from being ‘perfect’ if taking into consideration their loyalty to their Queen. Xenomorphs have been known to stay still, while the Hunters killed them off, in order to not bring danger to the Queen. Participants playing as Xenomorphs are more intelligent but must be reminded that they are being submitted to every will of their Queen, no matter how ludicrous. The exoskeleton, though strong, is not bullet-proof; a Xenomorph can only take so many hits before going down for the count. These are only a few examples; please consider what you posses and what you lack to create a more believable character.

Disabilities – It will only be manner of time before you find yourself with a missing limb or two. RPG fights are known to be brutal and many consider themselves lucky to give up an arm for their life. If your opponent managed to sever a limb, don’t be disappointed; it is unfortunate but nothing to fume over, just an obstacle to adapt to. Make sure, above all, to take care of your wound; remember that a badly infected wound can lead to blood poison and eventually death (this applies more to Yautja than Xenomorphs). Take time to get used to your new disability before going out again, you don’t want to be caught unprepared. There is no preferable limb to be detached but if it had to be determined then I would say than an arm is better to lose than a leg, speed is probably more important. If you prove that you can take your handicap with maturity, you will be seen in a much more respected light than if you whine and complain. Please remember that it is important to keep these things in mind so that a more realistic RPG setting can be created.

Weapons – The proper use of weapons will be reserved for Lesson IV (Fighting) but this will touch the subject of different kinds of weapons. Yautja have been known to have the most unique weapons for Hunting and not all are for killing. Nets are great to subdue prey and can be used for long-range, not many Hunters used nets when fighting and would have proven useful to deter attacks. Spears can be used for both offensive and defensive maneuvers, extendable blades for closer attacks, while the burner can finish up the job. Armor will provide the most protection but will do little against a piercing blow from a Xenomorph’s tail. Xenomorphs are not known to carry weapons but that won’t stop them should they decide to take a Yautjpear for a few rounds. Be aware that weapons have limits too; not everything is acid-proof and can only take so much force before breaking.

PROPER STORYLINE INTERVENING – This mainly is revised from character introduction so little else can be said. I greatly stress the fact to read previous posts and get an idea of what’s going on, reread it if you have to and make sure you understand current events. From there you must take the appropriate action depending on the situation. Mods will inform from time to time what is expected from their members for the storyline to continue smoothly. Please, if a mod says not to interfere with the plot, by all means don’t try to meddle, wait until the appropriate signal has been given.

(End of Part II)

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

(Note: This lesson will be divided in two parts)
(Part I)

LESSON III – Etiquette

Etiquette defined: “The forms, manners, and ceremonies established by convention as acceptable or required in society, in a profession, or in official life.â€Â

Now the word I would like to highlight from that phrase is “acceptableâ€Â. The RPG caused a few to create misdemeanors, many of them unacceptable caused by inexperience and negligence; from badly written sentences, to one-liners, to plot intrusion, to everything in between. Understand that the RPG has a certain standard of etiquette and all that is asked of the participants is that they comply to and apply them. Though this lesson is sub-divided into smaller categories its main idea will be the correct usage of your character with proper etiquette.

WHEN TO INTRODUCE YOUR CHARACTER – Your character is an extension of yourself, an RPG allows you to fully exploit that extension in ways that is only limited by imagination. Ok, so you have your character and you are ready to indulge into the RPG, but WHEN to start? Most participants will start at the beginning of the RPG; the first few being “greeting posts†– as I like to call them – where one can properly introduce the character without affecting pace or plot. Yet some participants will find themselves farther into the storyline before their first post. If this is the case then I suggest you read the previous posts and get an idea of the storyline and current events; believe me, others WILL know by what’s in your posts if you’ve read beforehand. Be sensible in your posts. Don’t just appear out of the blue in the middle of the story if you previously had nothing to do with it. It’s rude and it’s proving your negligence and disrespect. Instead, I suggest you take the time to properly introduce your character from the sidelines then gradually weave yourself in until you too are part of the storyline. Test the waters before going swimming. By slowly pacing yourself then you have a better chance at avoiding kinks and be faster at fixing them should you bump into one. Start OUT and work your way IN.

HOW TO INTRODUCE YOUR CHARACTER – As I stated before many of you will start posting at the beginning of the RPG thus avoiding many of the problems the “late-bloomers†had to face. Like meeting someone for the first time introductions must be made. Considering individuality and personality, decide traits first. Have in mind the traits of your character to bring out the interesting points, and illustrate (write out) your character in different poses to realize them more strongly. The manner of speaking, the movements of the body, possessions, etc, all have their own characteristics. Remember, that unless you have already participated in previous RPGs and have established a reputation, then others will have little idea of who you are. I suggest starting with a little bit of background history first to explain to the reader where you come and what you have to offer. Participants playing as Yautja will have to be a little more creative in their backgrounds than their Xenomorphs combatants and their “humble†beginnings. As with a story, include setting with your introduction.

For example (Yautja): “There were times when he abhorred the rain; its inconsistency in its falling pattern, the way it drenched all it touched…he knew that he would have to dry his armor as soon as it stopped before they began to rust (he laughed at the irony, acid-proof armor but not rust-proof). Yet this time he felt different towards it; there was a beauty it the tiny droplets, they reminded him of home, of all the hard-earned trophies in dense, humid jungles. The rain washed away insecurity from his mind and body. He was ready to face what this planet had to offer. To confront and emerge victorious. They had teased him about tackling such a task, him being smaller than the average Hunter, but that only made him more determined to succeed.â€Â

Note how without bluntly saying so, I have already gave him a physical and a personality description. From reading alone, one has already come to the conclusion that this Yautja is of smaller-than-average size but his determination and courage more than makes up for his lack of stature. Work with this when introducing your characters.

(End of Part I)

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

That's ok. Your post doesn't have to be something that can win a Nobel Prize in literature. As long as you get your main ideas through and make your audience understand your position then you have succeeded.

My suggestion: Take your time. Have in your mind what are the main points and write them out as they come (the whole Word document hint). Then you can rearange and edit until it reaches your satisfaction. Believe me, it's easier than it sounds. Once you get the hang of it you'll be amazed at how well it reads.

What I do sometimes is take a little notebook to class and if an inspiration for a cool-sounding sentence or a neat action scene pops in my head I just write it down and use it for later.

I guess I have to take a little bit of blame for writing too much, but it was mostly during setting not action scenes. I'll make sure to limit myself in the future. Those who like to flaunt how powerful they are just proved that they are truly weak.

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

bug-hunt, Xenomorph, 19 years ago

Thanks, ... when reading your first post it looked like you were gona go through the roof over what i did lol, what i will do is just tidy it up from time to time ounce any new questions have been answered and the subject has moved on myself or dave will delete them for you.

moving-sig-res.gif

Been living on borrowed time so feck it if i die!

bug-hunt, Xenomorph, 19 years ago

Ref missing post's they were deleted by me last night reason being there was a couple of bad posts and as i looked through the rest of the topic i was seeing a great piece of work filling up quickly with one liners, yes all comments and compliments which we had all seen and responded too, i did not want to see this topic fill up with loads of pages, wanted to keep this topic simple and all for you Iseijin as one big essay for people to read over, if there was loads of pages people will not look through it all to find the posts in subject. How the topic should look, is like the list you have on the first page. Would like to say that NONE of your work was deleted and important comments stayed there as well. I did leave a post explaining it all last night but is not here (think i disconnected from net before it got posted) If you want me to stop and let this topic fill up? of course i will not delete any more posts (will still delete bad posts)..... :)

moving-sig-res.gif

Been living on borrowed time so feck it if i die!

we have to work out a way of catering for everyones needs in the RPGS. we need to develop a decent system which alows the storyline to progress smoothly without getting out of hand, i'd suggest limiting the amount of posts is a good idea but have the limitation set to around 4 posts per day, the previous RPG (THE HIVE VS HUNTERS MOON) ended up going fairly well and didnt have the abundance of pages that the recent one possesed, we need to formulate a stratagy that others will be able to stick to.

thealphaalien.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron

I'm sure it depends on what the other posts were like, i presume either deathdrop or bug-hunt were logged on in the evening, i'm thinking the posts could have been lees than average and if that were the case, were probably removed, they wouldn't have been deleted for no reason.

weyland.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
D & R webz

Saw the rules for the RPG Daveberg. Nicely done. It's set without being restrictive. Four posts a day is a generous offer. Ok, seems like everything is going in a positive direction; so far, so good. Lets hope that the whole 'storyline mixup' just becomes another memory in the Board's history and that it doesn't repeat again.

I appreciate that you (and the rest of the members) enjoy my 'tutorials' for RPG skills and etiquette. I'll be done with all six lessons way before the next RPG so people can have a chance to check it over and still ask questions.

With that note, I inform that Lesson II (Timing) is ready and will be up later today.

Iseijinsig.bmp.jpg

heheh, yo go girl, definately shows something positive to everyone to use as a yard stick to follow during the RPG.

The RPG rules are basically just at a mock up state right now, i'm sure as opinions change and different ideas are grafted the rules will be adapted and even extended.

DB.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
D & R webz

Ok, i myself think that one post a day would be a little unfair, especially to people such as myself and Topdogg who are here during the day (UK time) but we should ensure that posting is limited, when everyone posts at once there is an abundance of different storylines flowing which confuses some members and makes the RPG veer off track, we need a sensible amount of designated posts a a day to ensure the smooth running of the stories. Also we need to stipulate the rulings to members who post a few comments then never come back for days that they should not post at the start if they know they will not be able to finish up, if that makes any sense (sorry, it's early and i'm tired.)

I'd like to write more but my brain is still half asleep.

DB.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
D & R webz