Alien3 - was the CGI really necessary?

daveberg, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

One of my favourite films in the series featured the well loved 'runner' (I hate that term) in my opinion, it was one of the best looking alien designs from any of the four alien movies and AVP.

Some key scenes in the movie saw Director David Fincher bring in the CGI props and small scale puppets. In my opinion this ruined the feel and flow of the cinematography. Scenes where the alien was running across the ceilings etc looked shabby and should have been done using a half scale puppet, more to the point, i would have prefered most of the scenes including the Xenomorph to have used a full scale anamatronic
model - (The fight scene between Grid and Celtic looked awsome thanks to the anamtronic puppets) just for added authenticity, the shots look far greater.

What do you guys think, are you for the CGI used in ALIEN3 or against it?

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

Unknown, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

lol, dont hurt me for saying this but i loved the CGI *Hides*

lol people dont realise the magnatude of what we got out of it, sure in comparrison to today it was sloppy as shit,But for the first time ever we got to see an alien running .. that in itself was a bold move back then . lol using that crazy minature ..... it was all very practical back then using minatures on strings , human error is always very likely.

Whos seen the special edition version of alien three ?

absolutely fantastic ... i rank it second, behind Alien . since i love the Gothic , dark merky feel to 1 and 3

Universal Affliction: The best site on the Web ;)
Liquid GFX:Graphics central of the Universe;)
Alienavp2siggsmallercopy.png

yeah ... glad someone agrees .. i remember a topic on here that slaughtered 3 .... ;(

yeah , great shot indeed ....

and a little amendment on the Dog alien concept

Universal Affliction: The best site on the Web ;)
Liquid GFX:Graphics central of the Universe;)
Alienavp2siggsmallercopy.png

The special edition definately owns mate, one of my best in the series too. I love the close up shot of the alien before it kills Dr Clemens!

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

The CGI was okay, but the alien generally didn't seem to have much sense of direction (It just sorta galloped in the general direction of the chosen prey). The scene were the alien was released and ran out, it looked so fake I winced. Now, I understand that it would be too hard to put a dog in a dog alien costume and expect it to leap aroundattacking whatever falls its way.

The CGI wasn't the best I've ever seen (I think that AvP has that title, unless I can think of another movie) but it was good enough.

Drenton.jpg
This is your life. Consumer. Animal. Hypocrite. Worthless.

dave i like make of alien3 us very smal dog in alien suit is very funny making of alien3 i dont if us GGI in alien3 dave

in Space No can hear you scream

bug-hunt, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Well when alien 3 came out cgi was sort of a new and big thing, it had been used in other films before like T2 but it was alien 3 where it sort of came into its own, imop i think alien 3 was a bit of a guinea pig test film for it. know if they could remake alien 3 i think today's cgi would be so good you would not be able to tell if it is cgi or anamatronic, getting back to the question in hand i feel they should of made puppets/anamatronic or even a guy in a suite, and for any one who has not seen alien 3 directors cut version go watch it know it is an awesome film, gives it a whole new light.

BughuntNewsig.jpg

celtic102, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

you got to admit some of the Cgi Sucked Ass although for then it was pretty modern and looked great

12thOCTOBERSIG.jpg

Well, for what they had done in other movies with CGI compared to this, you're right Celtic, it did suck ass.

Fantastic film though, special edition as Bug said, is the bomb, if you haven't seen it already - do it, NOW!

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Angus_Alien, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Agreed. I fully support Alien 3 above all films in the series par the original. Although generally underrated and misunderstood, I find it to be one of the most brilliant and emotionally moving films I've ever seen. The direction, cinematography, and score are all equally dark, masterful, and gothic.
I wish more people could see in it everything I do. Cheers guys.

00Alien_sig01.png

dave i like dog chestburster more then ox burster with dog alien see more blood coming out out body ox is not to bad

oh ok, any way... why did they cut the scene when the queen burster came out of riply as she fell, in the spiecel edition she just fell into the lava?

GigerDroneSig.gifA Creature of the Dark

Stalker, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

The majority of dynamic action shots involving the creature were done using a small rod-puppet. When implemented into the shots of the movie though it looked absolutely terrible & out of place. In my opinion it spoiled certain sections of the movie, as the actual suitwork was excellent, some of the best in the series.

In certain scenes, the creature didn't even appear to be running towards it's prey, but rather galloping on the spot & just growing larger & larger. Surprisingly, AVP was actually made on less of a budget than A3. Just shows how much more you can do with money these days.

thorndesignssig.jpg

i agree with stalker

i just watched alien 3 speiciel edition last week and it was great, although i thought you would see more of the super facehugger other than its shadow when the guy lifts it up. Also i loved the scene when it came out the ox instead of the poor doggy, lol it was almost the same size as the dog.

But i would of preferred animatronic puttets or a guy in a suite compared to that kind of CGI, though i suppose it was alright when it ran off as soon as it was born..

Anyway i have a question.. why did that guy slit the gaurds throut and let the alien out?

was he mental, or did he just want to be killed?

GigerDroneSig.gifA Creature of the Dark

When you read the book, it's almost like Gollic worshipped the alien, like some sort of Dragon god, he was 'hearing' voices from the toxic waste hold, that told him to release the xenomorph.

But to stop babbling - in a nutshell, the dude was crazy.

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Stalker, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

That was the only flaw I found in the Special Edition compared to the Theatrical Cut. The final shot of Ripley being chestbursted as she fell into the lead had been replaced by a shot where she simply fell in & that was it. In my opinion it removed a great deal of drama from the scene & a great moment from the movie. Why they changed it I still don't know.

thorndesignssig.jpg

you're all right a puppet or a guy in a costum wouldofe been better.

Scarefacesigrem.png

Well what i think. It's Not bad choice of alien Design choice. But Yea if you think about it in some Seen's the CGI couldnt of helped it look better even if it was done over and over again. to me it looks the same even with CGI affect's. But either then that The Design for the Runner Type Xenomorph it was pretty good. in fact i am gong to go watch it in about 5 min