Alien food

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

How long can a Xenomorph Queen survive without food? Or the drones... And especially the hive! The Xenomorph hive is alive, right? So what does it feed on? And from where do the drones get enaugh nutrients from to make all that hive? And the eggs?... How can a facehugger survive inside an egg for so long? Hmm...

From the depths of the great Metal Sea we come to restore equality...

ChEsTBuRsTeD42, Undefined, 17 years ago

There has been talk about this a while ago, but we concluded: A LONG TIME.

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

The Xenonorph's main source of nutrients more than likely comes from their prey. Aliens have been seen eating the flesh of their kill from time to time (A3 for example). Most organisms are only subdued, & taken back to the hive to be used as hosts, but on certain occasions, they would be used as food. I imagine an Alien could survive quite a long time without eating, although I am not sure exactly how long, but facehuggers in their eggs are probably fed nutrients through the internal workings of the egg, much the same as a baby is fed while in it's mother's womb, to allow them to stay alive for long periods of time inside the egg.

thorndesignssig.jpg

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Nessecarily, Aliens do not need food, but they rarely ever eat. Most likely, they feed on prey and/or their birth host when very young, as seen in A3. Though the only one (to my information) ever recorded was a dog Alien, otherwise known as (to some people, that is) the Runner.

00Bloo_sig02.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the mental house just got caught."

hyroglphsarenice, Undefined, 17 years ago

well maybe food isnt needed to maintain life at all... i think it could be likly the only need to eat when they are in need of growth, or possibly if the do infact regenerate. i say this because i find it likly the the xenomorph would infact need the ATP energy from the food to do such growths.

new-Hyro-sigv2.jpg
"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster." ~Nietzche

Crow, Undefined, 17 years ago

Another thing you all might want to take into consideration is the possibility of hibernation...

We know that xenomorph facehuggers are fed by the leeching roots which their eggs develop after being dormant for an extended period of time.

Chestbursters are likewise fed by their hosts until birth.

Young xenomorphs, much like reptiles, most likely consume their skin as they shed and grow. As seen in the delted scene in Alien, young xenomorphs do shed when they grow, but they reach an adult size at an extremely rapid rate. They most likely consume their flesh for protein to promote further growth and to recycle nutrients.

We have seen adult xenomomorphs eat, and because they are organisms of such complexity and size, they most likely do need to eat very frequently. However, it is highly possible that they can enter a state of hibernation when food is sparse. This would also help explain why the xenomorphs were so dormant when the marines first entered the xenomorph hive in Aliens.

855989_3.jpg
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

OK so... for a long time... Hm... Really long time... They don`t really have such a high body mass like the bears, so they don`t have that much tissue that can be spent on feeding the internal organs for such a long time... but anyway, that`s why they`re called XENOMORPHS, i guess. OK thanks!

Mishmuf, Undefined, 17 years ago

Actually, they are called xenomorphs because the prefix xeno- means "strange" or "foriegn", and -morph means "change". So, in other words, a Xenomorph is a creature that undergoes a strange morph, or change. Which is what aliens do.
I don't know why I just said that. Guess I was bored.

Mishmufsig.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

Deathdrop, Undefined, 17 years ago

"Morph" means form, doesn't it?

deathdrop1.jpg

Mishmuf, Undefined, 17 years ago

My mistake, -morph is combination of "form" and "structure". So it's actually strange form.

Mishmufsig.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

I was saying they were called Xenomorphs because they`re still an unexplored form of life. Cause we don`t really know HOW they do what they do. Of course, as a mad fan of avp that i am, i`ve made my own history, biology, mutations and lots of stuff for the Xenomorphs... Just like head_hunter did with the predators...