Aliens, Predators, Anime

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 17 years ago

Who likes the idea of Alien vs. Predator as a hardcore anime film? I think it would be brilliant if done correctly. Something along the lines of Gundam, Full Metal Alchemist, or Ghost in the Shell would be nice, and I don't mean a crossover or anything like that, I'm saying it'd be cool for A-v-P to go anime. I picture it with hardcore animated battles and gore, taking place in real world cities like Tokyo or Shanghai.

AVPFREAK.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~
http://www.freewebs.com/shanezilla

black_warrior, Undefined, 17 years ago

I wonder what the plasma caster shot and self-destruct would look like if they did it.

BWsig.jpg
Message Board, RPG Rules & Information

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

siliconsara, Undefined, 17 years ago

I keep pushing it, but it bears repeating: if you want to see some GOOD anime (I mean, the kind of anime that was given two big thumbs up by Siskel and Ebert...yes, S & E rated an anime two thumbs up) then please rent Ghost In The Shell. I wouldn't recommend Akira because the animation is a bit old and outdated by today's standards, but GiTS was a breakthrough animated feature because they were using computers to animate the camo sequences and other sections of the movie (something unheard of in 1995). GiTS was considered the turning point for all future animation, as major animation companies switched to the techniques that Production I.G. used, and is still used today as a staple. That's why I push I.G., because they would be the studio to bring you "groundbreaking" because they have done it in the past numerous times.

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

The most "hardcore" anime I've really seen, I spose would be the Tekken movie, & that wasn't great. It would need to be incredibly well-drawn & animated, not to mention well thought out in terms of storylines, events & characters to be any good, if they managed to pull off all those things then I, myself wouldn't hesitate to watch, but I mean that it'd have to be D@MN good

stalker.jpg

I agree that the human animation often looks dreadful. Of course I didn't get into Gundam for that; it was because of the incredible design work, from environments and landscapes, to the robots themselves.

The reason I would like anime AVP is that lately, Japanese cartoons have begun to get very hardcore. There are incredibly complicated fight sequences, often bloody (inked of course lol but still) and always engaging.

The humans also could actually look great, with the help of a very talented artist. Some of the stuff is just horrid though. I don't think many would be happy if the characters resembled Pokemon or Yugi-oh; they would need to be akin to Ghost in the Shell, only better. If not that, the characters would fall flat on their faces and just ruin the entire concept. If it was to be successfully pulled off, it would need to push anime, in fact, all forms of animation to brand new levels. We're talking about the Alien and the Predator, two cinematic giants. I adore them, however, I want to see them set foot and claw on new grounds. They've been seen in comics, video games, films, books, and toys. I have been desiring new things. The whole anime idea is for me an experimental "what if" to broaden the icons' content. They should always be fresh and exciting in my opinion.

AVPFREAK.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~

I just don't like Anime, as DD stated, the animation is poor, anime is always corny as hell, etc.

stalker.jpg

^You must be thinking of anime like Sailor Moon or Dragonball Z. I highly doubt people are wanting an AVP anime in the unrealistic and cutie anime styles.

But I have no idea why you hate anime. Is it because they don't move their lips very well? Is it the bad story lines? The cute "kawaii" anime girls? The hentai? Do the "otaku" fans tick you off?

I am not a big anime fan, but I am a Ghost In The Shell fan. If AVP was given the same care and treatment as the GiTS franchise, I have no doubts that some of you anime haters might raise your brows a bit in surprise of how good it could be.

It just dosen't jive with Alien or Predator at all.

Far from the truth! I don't know what anime you have seen, but the classics like GiTS and Akira show that AVP would fit perfectly as a anime. Anime is known as a corner stone for Sci Fi entertainment, and the wonderful artwork of many alien races gives full respect and care for them.

Kinda funny an AVP anime was mentioned. The AVP franchise was picked by the Anime Insider editors as a high candidate for a American franchise to be turned into a Japanese anime.

And FYI, I am a woman. Sara is a female name. ;P

EDIT: *sigh* word censor not fixed. Can't even say the word p*i***s*s.

Deathdrop, Undefined, 17 years ago

^ What he said. I mean no offense to anyone who likes it, but I just can't stand anime. I think it's an amazingly ugly style of animation and looks idiotic.

I imagine the Xenos, Preds, and backrounds would look great, but the humans would look awful. I wouldn't mind an animated AvP, nor would I care if a Japanese studio worked on it with Fox. But please, ditch the "animie style". It just dosen't jive with Alien or Predator at all.

deathdrop1.jpg

3 words- I. Hate. Anime.

stalker.jpg

solo_pred, Undefined, 17 years ago

That would be pretty awesom. but just keep to there own abilitys. Id searously watch an AVP anime It would probably kick A$$

you live you die if you die in the dark you were probably killed by me, Solo Pred Dark God of balatu.

Yes, the creatures would have to change to fit some storylines, but it would be horrible if they were changed too much, as Siliconsara said. I would like the film to be set in futuristic Japan, with a complex Tokyo motorcycle gang and the Weyland-Yutani Corporation subplot involved, but since that would be cliched, it would be better to have animated Xenomorph and Yautja facing off in Irag, or any other faroff and exotic desert-type place. And of course, the storyline would be required to be well written, with characters who make sense and are well developed. Yeah, I agree that a series would be cool; it would allow for more character dynamic.

AVPFREAK.jpg

hajou3, Undefined, 17 years ago

H E double hockey sticks yeah lol(not what siliconsara said in his/her second paragraph tho). Id watch that, ive watched like every show that is like gundam and loved them shows, and i still watch them(i think i have like all of them recorded they probably got recorded over tho)

Hajou3.jpg
The only thing in space that can hear you, is the thing making you scream... Me

While it's no longer uncommon for American media franchises to be re-made for Japanese audiences, I would really hope that if such was to happen, that it would still keep the feeling and basic guidelines of the original movies.

Last thing I need to see is an AVP movie with Predators who can summon ki blasts from their hands and carry swords that are twice their size and Aliens who have secret telekinetic powers and spawn tentacles that like to rape women. *snicker*

But, I wouldn't want the film in question to be set in Japan. Not that I don't like Japan (far from it), it's just that 90 percent of all "real-life-like" anime is set in Japan, and it gets cliche-ish after a while.

I would love for Production I.G. to get the permission from Fox to do a series or a movie. They are responsible for the animation of the Ghost In The Shell movie as well as the PS video game and the television series "Stand Alone Complex". It would probably be more proper to even have the anime in the same style as the GiTS television series, because the concept of the optical camo worn by Motoko Kusanagi is exactly the same as Predator camo. And Production I.G. knows how to animate that camo mirror effect perfectly.

Well, it depends. I'm not really certain about what is anime and what isn't, it's kind of a broad definition, but I know this. It definitely wouldn't work if it was as pathetic as Dragonball Z, Pokemon, or Yugi-Oh. The final nail in the coffin would be if the creatures did nothing but say their names, and if one befriended a human like in Pokemon. It would be utterly atrocious. But something like Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist, or anything like that would be cool. So yeah, pretty much I'm talking about the anime style in general. It just has to be done right.

AVPFREAK.jpg

Sorry to ressurect this, but I wanted to continue the discussion. Now, what definition of "animie" are we talking about here? A japanese cartoon, or the "animie style"? If it's just a cartoon that happens to be made by a Japanese studio, then I would be all for it.

"The hentai? Do the "otaku" fans tick you off?"

Those two things are certainly contributing factors.

deathdrop1.jpg

Jed-Chrizt, Undefined, 17 years ago

I hope this never happens EVER.
Anime will slaughter both franchies.

W/e

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Really, the best animations I've seen out there are -

Ghost in the Shell
Before Crisis: FFVII (And not because I'm a fan of FF. It's because the animation is really, really done good)

And probably that one about that dude who finds a magical stick or something.

Heheh some of these are funny. I aagree with Siliconsara, whatever they do, the last thing we need to see is Predators with swords almost three times as long as their bodies (Examples: The Masamune - Sephiroth), power-blasts coming from their palms (Examples: However you spell Goku's trademark blast), and slug-bestial-tentalce things that like women a lot.

But something like Ghost in the Shell or BC:FFVII would be tight. Being set in the future, that has a 50-50 chance of messing it up or saving it.

I actually did a doodle-picture of what an Alien, Marine and Predator would look like in Manga... (It has to be said. Manga is anime' style comics, while Anime is anime' style-animation cartoons) I agree with you all.

It would be really cool, but it being set in Japan would set it off of the original settings. Maybe somewhere in a militant base or something.

And actually, this is the news you all wanted to hear:

Yugioh is not popular anymore than Carebears.

In RobotChicken, Squirtle and Pikachu kicked Ash's a$$.

DragonballZ is actually getting more realistic.

Well, as for Pokemon, I actually still like the RPG games. The Pocket Mosnters don't alway their names; they make kick-a$$ roars or screeches, such as Groudon's or Blaziken's. Now, I'm not a real fan of the actual franchise, but the RPGs and the noises? In my opinion, those RPG games are the reason Pokemon is still alive.

The only Pokemon really saying his name in the games is Pikachu, and I'm ok with that.

00Bloo_sig11.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the Mental House just got caught."

I've looked at a few pics from Ghost in the Shell, and I gotta say, it didn't look all that bad. The problem? Eyes, nose, mouth, and hair. Fix that and make the animation more realistic, and it might come out pretty cool. A snag, however, would be the story. It would need to be Alien or Predator-ish. Avoid that cyberpunk kind of stuff. Possibly have it take place between the movies?

deathdrop1.jpg

Jed-Chrizt, Undefined, 17 years ago

No! Anime + Alien/Predator will never mix, ever.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If the animation is good (and not all animie-ish) and the story and voice acting are uip to snuff, then I wouldn't mind an animated AvP. Basically, if it benifits the franchise, Fox won't do it. If it hurts it, they will. Because they >:)

deathdrop1.jpg

I've looked at a few pics from Ghost in the Shell, and I gotta say, it didn't look all that bad. The problem? Eyes, nose, mouth, and hair. Fix that and make the animation more realistic, and it might come out pretty cool. A snag, however, would be the story. It would need to be Alien or Predator-ish. Avoid that cyberpunk kind of stuff. Possibly have it take place between the movies?

Err, which GiTS did you look at? There's three different kinds!

The movie:
gits15.jpg

The Television Series (Stand Alone Complex; my favorite of all time and the one I think they should build up on and improve for AVP):
kidoutai.jpg

The Playstation (version 1) game has the more animeish big eye cute style...which definitely wouldn't fit with what we want to do here.

I think a blend of the movie and television series would be nice.

As for the cyber punk factor...GiTS happens in 2030, the same exact year Predator: Concrete Jungle happened. So, by playing P:CJ, you have seen cyberpunk by looking at what we have become with technology. That is what GiTS explores. We humans have gained technology, but we still hold on to how we are today. But the advent of such things as like, what Scarface left us, shows what we humans really are in terms of our true nature (violent, still holding onto petty things). But deep down it's because of something good, and thats because we are human...a creature with emotion and life. It's that struggle is some of the themes GiTS explores.

I was thinking of drawing how I personally think an AVP anime should look like.

As for the hentai and otaku...don't let that persuade you to think this would be a bad idea. I see it as broadening the borders of what the AVP universe is in, and I think animation...specifically Japanese animation, is the perfect medium to really show what these movie monsters are really capable of...sans the pokemon, DBZ and yugioh .

EDIT: Almost forgot, the animation sequences in Kill Bill vol 1 were also done by Production I.G., the animators of the GiTS movie/television show/Playstation game.

----------------------

Blog

Forum