where are aliens eyes?

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

i always wondered to aliens have eyes are they in there mouth? or what?

KingofKings.jpg if you can see this your dead!

lol maby their inner jaws are their sensors lol

R.I.P. Kevin Peter Hall
scarfacecory.jpg

OTANG, Undefined, 17 years ago

hmm intresting theory. i never really had a take on that warrior/drone distinction and the cause of the different cranial features. but, man, how do aliens see? XD

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

Crow, Undefined, 17 years ago

Yea I agree...I think not knowing is half the fun, and yet knowing exactly what they can do is also extremely helpful in many given situations...

I believe they have fluid-filled head structuring because, if you recall from Aliens, the Warrior xenomorphs had a ribbed cranium. I believe that in Drones the gaps in between this ribbing is filled with a type of fluid similiar to what we have for cranial nourishment, which has also adapted to detect and convert sonic energy.

When a Drone undergoes an aging process and becomes a Warrior, this fluid drains from their cranium, creating a pressure vacuum within their heads for optimum splatter efficiency when punctured. This allows their acidic blood to travel over longer distances from a head injury. In addition, this lack of fluid makes a Warrior's head more resilient to physical abuse, but as a trade-off they have compensated their efficiency in detecting sonic activity.

45324912.jpg

"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone." - Michael Corleone

crow, and as in my topic, i also brought up the question u did: if they use electromagnetic pulses to find prey or hosts, why doesn't electrical device interfere with their senses. maybe they use BIOELECTRIC impulses, and mechanically generated electromagenetic waves don't interfere.

detection of soundwaves is a good theory, but i dont remeber any fluid-filled head scenes, while in AvP(dont trust it tho) u can see some sort of brain structure.

in pred 2 i think it does have some indentations in the skul where eyes could be located.......or....as u suggested crow, thats where similar sensory organs are located under the skin, that dont use visual information but soemthing else.

all in all, who knows. thats kinda what makes it fun, no? :)

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

alien eye ar sound wayfs

in space no one can Hear you scream

donut, Undefined, 17 years ago

Aliens don't have eyes, Daveberg if i remember correctly had explained a ways back. according to the games they use pheromones or some like that which can not be actual evidence if they have eyes or not because it should be based on the movie and nothing else :U wow that was a long sentance :D anyways, I believe that the strange patches on their skin are in fact light detectors which helps them "see" but it isnt the only thing they depend on. I also believe that aliens have some sensors located on different parts of their body that are used to detect prey much like a snake would :3

All comments for this question are indeed theory because we have not seen for sure (in the movies) if they do indeed have eyes, yes sometimes we may see something but it COULD be something else and we just missinterperet these things as eyes, and vice versa.

Overall i can just say that FOX NEEDS TO MAKE A DOCUMENT MOVIE THING ABOUT TEH XENOMORPH STRUCTURE >:u :3

673296.jpg
~i draw things...it is delicious~
~first female on teh site! w00t w00t!~
I ARE A XENOMORPH! MOOF

Ooo I forgot about that skull...yes, it does have sockets of some kind. Whether or not they are for eyes, however, can't be determined.

For a we know, that vacancy could be created for some sort of sensory organ, a region of the brain, or is simply in existance to reduce the overall weight of the head. It doesn't necessarily have to be for eyes.

45324912.jpg

"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone." - Michael Corleone

guys i just watched predator 2 and the pred has an alien skull in his trophie case and it has eye sockets! oh and on anothger point scar is in pred 2

Oooo otang, I completely forgot about electromagnetic impulses, (stupid me, b/c I just wrote a paper about the very thing!) that is a very valid theory. But I can only think of a handful of things which would make that theory questionable, the largest being how humans and other organisms would be able to avoid a xenomorph for such prolonged periods of time. If they could sense their nervous impulses, then terrain would have very little effect. Also, this would cause machinery and electrical sources to interfere with this sense, which would make their infestation of areas such as the colony on Acheron in Aliens completely inefficient.

Also, you must realize that xenomorphs are not like the organisms of our planet. While they do not have eyes, that does not mean that they have developed some sort of organ to permit sight.

Additionally, I still believe that they use echolocation. I believe this primarily because, while other organisms have adapted ears to pick up sound waves from a single direction, that is only the evolutionary path which organisms on our planet have taken. There is no reason to say that the xenomorph's head is, as I believe, one gigantic hearing mechanism.

There are two different ways to pick up sound waves: either by ricocheting them from a funnel-shaped surface into a single point (as ears do) or by absorbing them with a smooth surface (as I believe xenomorphs do).

I believe that the xenomorph's head is smooth in shape to absorb nearby sound waves. If it were angular, the waves would simply deflect.

We also know that a xenomorph's head is filled with some sort of fluid directly beneath their epidermis.

Once the waves are absorbed into the head, they are easily transmitted through the underlying fluid within their heads, where the sonic activity is picked up and translated into nervous impulses for the xenomorph's brain.

In this way a xenomorph does not need ears, yet they can still hear and use echolocation.

45324912.jpg

agree with u crow and mav, like always.

i would also wanna throw another theory at ya. one that suggests xenos see by sensing electomagnetic pulses or waves made by living beings. to help explain this to u, imagine the method of the shark, in which it uses sensors to pick up erratic swimming behavior by wounded prey.

not that i disagree your echolocation theory, but the point, Crow, that u suggested of cranial shape is invalid. i think this is so, becuase in the animal world, living things that use echolocation have larger than normal ears that are directional, becuase to be properly pinpointed, sound must be harvested with the larger outer ear, then focused to the inner ear.

i'm not saying they dont use echolocation, i'm saying the cranial shape doesnt support that theory.

i made a topic like this last year, i dotn want to look for it, but i also suggested they can sense light with their skin, thats why they know to hide in dark areas to conceal themselves, then ambush at the right time.

lets not forget the popular thoery of xenos being able to detect pheremones. again, body structres dont suggest this either, as they dont have big nostrils.

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

Yes, thank you for elaborating, Maverick. Echolocation is the only logical explanation as to the shape of their head and why they vocalize when near prey.

I still believe that those patches on bodies are still in existance to pick up light spectrums, however.

Cystic -- what's this about spores?

45324912.jpg

aliens see using echo location. worcks a simolar way to radar or sonar. the alien emits a noise at a frequancy that wee cant heer the nois travals out and bounces off of objects reterning to the alien. the alien has specaly adapted organs ither side of its head that picup the reterning sound waves the organs then trancfer the sound information into infromation the brain can perceve as an image.

Backinaction.jpg

hajou3, Undefined, 17 years ago

maybe they have eyes in there mouths like in avp for computer lol(you never no, they could be)although i dont really think that they would be.

Hajou3.jpg
The only thing in space that can hear you, is the thing making you scream... Me

cystic_warrior, Undefined, 17 years ago

ALiens see by the spores the release, and I believe that they see by electromagnetic impulese from their brain. They also have excellent so that could be another explantion.

Sig By Celtic102

It will only Hurt for Eternity

Aliens could possibly have eyes underneath their dome, if they just had a sonar sense they would not be so acute with thier moves, but i could be mistaken.

GIT-R-DONE

Yes that would be echolocation. As previously mentioned, it is highly likely that they have some form of that, which would explain why they are so vocal. The shaping of their heads, as well as the smoothness, makes it a perfect surface for absorbing sound waves.

45324912.jpg

TITANOSAUR, Undefined, 17 years ago

I allways thought it was a type of radar or sonar like bats in a cave. they use soundwaves to bounce images back to them.

TitanosaurSig.jpg
http://z3.invisionfree.com/thehiveofthealiens
I destroyed stuff... it was cool!

thanks guys

Actually in the first Alien the humanoid skull beneath the alien's dome-like head was primarily there for fear effects...it was supposed to be just the empty frame of a skull, without eyes of any sort.

I'm afraid I haven't noticed anything from AvP, but there are so many errors in that film that I really don't consider it canon...

My personal favorite comes from a multitude of different physical adaptations, all of which are feasible.

I believe that xenomorphs can "see" through light-sensitive patches which can be found in different regions of their bodies. These are the slitted oval-shaped regions which are found on a xenomorph's skin, and each is capable of picking up a multitude of light spectrums. Since there is no other possible function for so many peculiar regions of flesh on a xenomorph's body, I believe this to be a valid possibility.

A xenomorph can also "see" by detecting sound waves, which helps explain why they are so vocal, aside from communication. The shape of a xenomorph's head is perfect for picking up sonic energy, providing a good explanation as to why their heads are smooth and elongated in shape.

Warriors, which have lost the fluid which provides a xenomorph's head with its smooth shape, have compromised their sonic senses for tougher cranial defense.

45324912.jpg

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 17 years ago

Sometimes I subscribe to that theory, but other times I am sure that they have eyes. In the first Alien movie, if you look closely, you can see a human skull behind the alien's smooth exoskeleton. Also, in AVP, when Scar slices off and alien's face, what could possibly be eye sockets are partially visible near the top. My theory is that they actually do possess eyes, but they are not usually visible because of their protective head structure. The eyes are so powerful that they can see through it.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~
http://www.freewebs.com/shanezilla