So, who wasted their money on Predator: Forever Midnight?

siliconsara, Undefined, 17 years ago

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the new Predator novel by John Shirley. It is against all that defines a Predator as we know it. This post I made on The Hunted explains it. Be warned for those who don't want to be spoiled as I did explain all of the differences between the established "Yautja" info and that if of the "Hish" (what John Shirley calls Predators in the novel).

Did anyone buy this book and read it? What are your thoughts? What are your thoughts after reading all of the terrible differences that Shirley put into this book?

I am livid mad. I hope Perry (author of AVP: Prey) can come out with a new book and put this pathetic excuse of a novel into the shadows where it belongs.

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Hahah, yeah, doesn't it? Shorty, whatever you do, don't take this book seriously. This puts frogs and Sci-fi together with a little of those gender switching fish in Finding Nemo.

00Bloo_sig11.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the Mental House just got caught."

shorty, Undefined, 17 years ago

i ordered it not long ago and im only on the 5th chapter and it aready $ucks

Someone already posted a nice n' nasty review on Amazon US. I don't know about the UK site, but feel free to spread the word. If Fox and Shirley start seeing their sales drop, they should at least know why it is so.

Usually I would say that having a book burning party would be too extreme in any situation, but I am willing to make an exception...

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

Same here stalker

I have not read this book, but it sound terrible. Have you warned anyone on Amazon (Both the UK, and US sites) about this? I would hate for one of my friends to come walking into class, read it, hate the Alien/Predator serise, spread the hate and make all who like A/P outcasts.

Trust me, I have some really influentail friends.

But really though, those aren't preds anymore. They are completely different. A lack of intellegence in a predator like shell. Gender switching Preds? LAME! fleshed deads? I used to belive that, but then I thought it was stupid. This makes me realize just how stupid I was.

Drenton.jpg
Zombie to English/english to zombie translator http://www.siddhant.name/games/ud/english2zombie.html

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

Some of those things seem like flat out insults to the franchise. The preds being able to switch gender & all that sounds completely disgusting, & completely degrades the creatures, among other things there. Anderson's predators in AVP weren't as good as the original ones by any means, but at least they were decent enough, but this just goes too far, & makes a mockery of everything a pred stands for. Up until now I had never even heard of John Shirley, but this information has instantly made me lose any respect I might have had for him.

stalker.jpg

Everyone I have spoken to who consider themselves a TRUE Predator fan think this book is full of crud. =\

I'll let their numbers speak for themselves.

@Stalker: Yes, all of those things are in that book; I made that list myself. There's even more in that book that's just as bad, it makes me mad beyond all hope. So much for getting some new Predator content. Guess we will have to wait for AVP2...

I agree with you Voltage, but that's still no excuse to switch Yautja to Hish. Re-arrange the letters to Shih and it's sh*t spelled wrong.

I mean, he's a good writer from what I read, but messing up the franchise even more after AVP is unexcusable. It's a well written book with some cr@p put into it. I give it a 4/10 just because of all of those changes. I mean, honor is one of the MOST important things to a Pred and that's taken out of the book. Ermm, yeah. This makes me doubt AVP2 a lot more.

00Bloo_sig11.png

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

Bloo, if half the things that u just quoted are actually in that book, then I now officially want to take a $#it on John Shirley's head. Many of those statements completely degrade the yautja, & go against everything that they are supposed to be. Changing their dialect, & even their motives (honour, etc) & completely disregarding everything that makes a predator a predator, I am so sorely pi$$ed at that fool right now, I haven't even read the book, & now that I've heard this it makes me want to set it on fire.

stalker.jpg

Voltage-3000, Undefined, 17 years ago

u guys r not really into it i like it i would have called them that myself because its a hunter hunting a weaker being thats why they called it redator and i think the dreds are not hair i think they r like senser things

Yes, unfortunately its title sounded kick a$$. I hate this book. I didn't even give it the honor of letting it being finished. I got up half way through the book in the part where one of those guys gets killed, somehow. Didn't care to look back.

FORTUNATELY I borrowed it from my friend, which he thinks Yautja isn't the proper name for them. My mother freakin' a$$ it isn't. I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it-- "We're sorry, but we're the from the future and we're going to tell you that Bloo says that constantly until hie's thirty, so we're saving you the trouble".

If this was just a joke, and there really isn't one, I'de be d@mmned if I read something with the exact same name, because I did.

EDIT:

My gahd, I hate this guy.

Quote to sara (The Hunted boards)

Holy . John Shirley, what in good god's name did you do?

He seriously went in his own direction. After reading ahead a bit in the book to the last chapter, I can say that Shirley was only given the chance to look at the first two movies, then go on his own accord.

So, what did he change? A lot, a great deal.

* They are not "Yautja", they call themselves "Hish".
* They are gender-switching hermaphrodites. They switch to being female like going in heat (certain breeds of fish and frogs do this in real life). I guess this is Shirley's attempt at trying to come up with a theory on why we only see "male" Yautja in the movies. I guess it didn't occur to him that there might be single-gender clans.
* They keep humans as slaves. They use mind control to bend them open to their will. They use humans like we use hunting dogs: to chase and corner prey.
* They also use us humans as playtoys for their "spawnlings", they no longer are called "pups". Their spawnlings have been known to tear men and other playtoy creatures apart and feed from them. That was the decided fate for one male human slave.
* There is another species that control Yau --er, Hish technology, and are slaves as well. Some reptilian race known as the Karna, from what I can recollect from reading.
* There is no honor in hunting, there is only joy and triumph. Shirley has changed the almost ritualistic/religious Predator idealations of hunting, and turning them into pompous "Sunday party" hunting *s'yuit-de*s. You know, like waaay back when India was still a British colony, and Brits would come and shoot tigers for novelty and the pleasure; not for honor. The main Hish character even talks about how he will slice and eat a human alive out of sheer revenge; the slave that escaped.
* The "dreadlocks" are not hair, but in fact flesh. Not that this is a major point, as some ftill think those appendages are flesh and not actually dreaded hair.
* Predators have what is called a "Kill-Gland" in their neck, similar to our horomone glands in our necks. It has potent horomones in it, like ravage testosterone. When the chemicals are seeped into Predator skin, or when the smell is released, they turn rigid in "total rage" and then a few seconds later they cannot do anything but "kill kill kill" no matter what it is they are killing. The slave used this knowledge against a group of Predators, allowing him to escape and have his captors kill each other in full blown rage like savage animals.
* We are not soft-meats or "oomans" to them. We are "tall monkeys", to which it is implied by a note from the author that all Predator speech is in English but it should be inferred that they are in fact speaking their own language. Kinda like when lets say, an American film set in medieval Japan comes out, but everyone including the Japanese speak English. It is to be inferred that they are in fact speaking Japanese, but only for clarity so the entire movie isn't subtitles. Also note that the tall monkey word is suppose to be heavily derogatory. Like a KKK supremest calling an African American a N*gger.
* They also sometimes call our planet "Urth", and when talking about things from there, including us, they say "Urth things" or "Urth vessels" or "Urth creatures".

Unquote

I hate him! I hate him! I hate him I hate him I-- "We're sorry. He's being stupid and immature."

Sorry about that, it's just, how in the HELL can you make a novel without the right stuff? Seriously! I'm with you on this! John Shirley is somewhat the book-writing version of that guy who did Alien: Invasion. FDSF to him. And this time it doesn't mean Have a nice freakin' day.

00Bloo_sig11.png

black_warrior, Undefined, 17 years ago

"They keep humans as slaves. They use mind control to bend them open to their will. They use humans like we use hunting dogs: to chase and corner prey."

Why did John Shirley put this in the book? to them humans are prey not things used to obtain prey. I hate this dude already.

I was thinking about getting this book but after reading about all of this stuff in this topic i am not getting it. I just hope that noone says this book is a good source of information for preds.

I looked at the hunted forum and i really liked what this guy said. JaggedBlades- "BURN THEM,tell your boss to burn them,or better yet,reycycle them...wait,i dont want to drink out of a coke can made from cr@p like that,burn them,blow them up,and then in vultures to eat whats left,the vultures will survive,they can survive anything including anthrax "

and did you see the long list of names that the preds called they're elder? man look at page 2 to see it.

BWsig.jpg
Message Board, RPG Rules & Information
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

DeathLocks, Undefined, 17 years ago

This book would completely offend any predator fan. It was horrible. This book is a complete joke! Why did I waste my money on it?

DEATHLOCKSSIG.bmp.jpg

god_of_blades, Undefined, 17 years ago

I read ten pages and i immediatly Burned it. I feel the same way as everybody else Including Bloo.

Elasho Caro

P.S. I didn't really burned it i just put it in the trash where it belongs. And Deathlocks is right it would offend any Pred fan even me.

You know, when I first thought about it, I did want to burn my copy. Now I decided I am going to keep it to use it as proof for others how horrible the book was. If someone wants me to read them passages over the phone or skype, then I am all for it. Or if someone who lives near me wants to borrow it for the day to see how horrible, that's fine. I would rather use my one copy to let 50 people see it and not pay, instead of having 50 people buy it to see how horrible it is.

So, anyone who bought the book and hate it, use it to show your friends how terrible it is and let them see it. It will prevent people from buying it.

black_warrior, Undefined, 17 years ago

WTF? WHY??????
That is messed up. I would have still tried to do research on any comics or novels. but why would Darkhorse do that?

BWsig.jpg
Message Board, RPG Rules & Information
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

Okay folks. Major Update.

Dark Horse is the reason this book was terrible, not Shirley.

Read the new development from The Hunted. Shirley contacted one of the members who was brave enough to post a rant on Shirley's message board.

Basically, Dark Horse told him that there was no other novels or comics to read, and they fully passed his final draft of the book with flying colors and gave him a 6 week time span to write this book...barely enough time to study the canon.

So, if you are angry, direct that anger towards Dark Horse. They did NOT tell Shirley of the other comics and novels, and greenlit his novel, while they had every right to reject it.

Voltage-3000, Undefined, 17 years ago

well now this is just a great way to ruin everyones thought about a book they have not read yet u have to let the person read it first so they can have an oppion about it

Well, no one is being held by gunpoint to read this thread. If people do not want to be spoiled, they can close the window.

You seem to be the only person I have seen (besides Shirley's lackeys) that enjoyed this book, or pose no negative view on it.

I personally rest my case.

Leandros8, Undefined, 16 years ago

i bet shirley was the bosses son or something and they accepted him because of that!still its just wrong.by the way about letting vultures eat it...well it wont work,vultures may not have big brains but anyones smart enough to know thats a big pile of shit!that is just a disgrace to the pred civilization.

doomXL, Undefined, 16 years ago

It was good at the time...but looking back it sucked...the thing that pissed me off the most was DEFINETLY the fact they called yautja the hish...