Curious about predator design thoughts

daveberg, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Just intrigued to know why most of you dislike
the AVP predator designs? I can see your thoughts and views when it comes to the agility aspects and the cumbersome feel of the hunters, but aesthetically, i thought they were superior to the designs of taken fro the first two predator feature films.

What are your thoughts on this.....?

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

rayne, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

ok well im not going to tumble with a old shooler and expecialy my subleader so okay whatever you say dude!

00Alien_sig11.png
DD- eeewwwww!!! what does this button do?!

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

But as you can see, the armour did nothing for them. Examples:

1.) Celtic and the acid accident.
2.) Celtic and the head-bite accident.
3.) Chopper and the spinal-chord stab accident.
4.) Scar and the tail-in-the-chest accident.
5.) Celtic and the wrist-blade accident.

I think I've said enough. The armour was clearly meant for brawling, and not battle with a Xeno. Come on, the Elder must have known. And you say they were wearing the armour to protect them in battle with the Xenos. Then why was the rest of their clan wearing it as well, Elder included?

It's just another helping-fact towards how Anderson wanted bulkier-looking Preds.

-Fladdap!

00Bloo_sig06.5.PNG

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in The Mental House got caught."

guys Remeber these are teens to become men they need that stuff the pred in 1 and 2 were grown men so AKA pred 1 and pred 2 were bigger and more skilled AVP preds sucked and needed better armor!
srry got a little mad at everyone bad mouthing the AVP preds. you guys were comparing grown men to teens.

00Alien_sig11.png
DD- eeewwwww!!! what does this button do?!

Unknown, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

To be honest the preds in AVP didn't look like a very superior hunter like the one in Pred1. I mean with all that armour on it makes them seam ike the nead the extra pertection like the weren't good enough to have lees, but the pred in Pred1 looked more brutal and strong because he didn't have th earmour on it made him look lke he was tough enough to handle things without the armour plus it brings out the primal aspect in him to.

I believe that the predators in Pred1 were way better then the preds in AVP. Plus AVP seemed more like a action movie then a movie thats suposed to scare you. Plus when the chickey said the line "your one ugly mother f***er" it kinda turned me off the movie cuz no one can sai it as good as Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Scareface-sig-1.jpg

FireHunter, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

they looked alright, but they could've been slimmed down, other than that and their faces(well Scar's really) they're good.

mysig.jpgIn space, even if someone could hear you scream, they'd be getting the hell away instead of coming to help.

I don't even think that they were thinking of those things when designing them, but nice save.

-Fladdap!

00Bloo_sig05.png

Crow, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Well, I can understand people's general dislike of the AvP predators, but I do have a couple good things I'd like to point out.

The sterile assembly-line look to their ship, weapons, and equipment was, in my opinion, made with a lot more thought than most people give credit for.

Those yautja were Unblooded. All of their weaponry was newly made, and had not been used much, if at all.

Their gear wasn't customized because it is obvious that they only make markings and other details after their successful hunts, such as what Scar did to his helmet after successfully killing a xenomorph. That's also probably why their ship was so blank.

As for their armor, you have to bear in mind, once again, that they were Unblooded. They were going on their first real hunt, so of course they would want to gear up as much as possible to diminish the chance of failure.

Likewise, let's not forget that they were hunting xenomorphs. All that armor was probably a good preemptive attempt at making the xenomorph's acidic blood less effective. Also, xenomorphs are a lot more deadly than most humans, so more gear and protection would be expected to be needed take them down.

CrowRunnerSig-2.png?t=1169492759

predatoress, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Stalk said pretty much what I would've said. And the fact is I like more of old, worned out look in everything, so new tech and shiny plates didn't have much of a character IMO. And the new design of the face was just horrible, didn't really know should've I laugh or cry.

new-Predess-sig.jpg

I died just to be reborn

Welcome to my hell

Join Us

to stalkers poast. I totaly agree about the atmosphere that the preds portray however the yatuja in AVP werwent he sezond veterans of hte older movies. Thees creaturs wer a newer genoration and like the new genorations of tenages in teal life there usualy up to date with all the best technolagy. i mean im willing tro bet most ppl on this forum have mobile telaphones and mobile gameing systems and other such items of technolagy. i gues the same aplies to the yout in the yatuja sociaty.

Anarchysig.jpg
Death or healing I care not which you seek

Mishmuf, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

In my opinion, it seems like the AvP predators were like the Tri-Star Godzilla: they are so different from the originals, they don't even seem like the same creatures. While the size of the AvP predators made them look more terrifying, it also really casted doubt that they were actually hunters at all.

Mishmuf_02.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

To me? Robocop meets the Punisher. Nuff' said.

That said, I like the feel of the original Predators much more. How they were in AVP wasn't... just... it didn't feel like I was seeing the creature I saw before. When the creatures were off screen, it didn't even feel like Alien and Predator. It felt like a Discovery Channel documentary.

-Fladdap!

00Bloo_sig05.png

Stalker, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Personally, they just didn't "feel" like predators to me. The predators that we all knew & loved before hand had a very grizzled & gritty look to them, with beaten up armour that looked as though it had withstood centuries of battles & punishment from the elements, along with small skulls & various other items adorning their body, which gave the hunters a very tribal like look to them.

AVP's predators on the other hand were quite the opposite, they looked as though they were on steroids, & their massive gladiator-like battle armour didn't help things either. Their equipment looked as though it had just come off an assembly line, it looked shiny, new, & buffed out, & had no real character to it, unlike the equipment used in the previous films. Their massive hulking look & body covering armour gave them the appearance almost of Medieval knights, rather than the hunters they actually were, & while they still wore a skull necklace, reminiscent of the originals, it was barely noticeable on their massive form, & as such didn't really add as much to their overall look. The faces themselves were the real killer blow however, as they looked far more goofy & less menacing than the original two predators from the earlier movies.

The fact that they changed around so much of their mechanical systems & displays was another slap in the face. The thermal vision for example was one of the predators' most well recognized trademarks, & they tossed it straight out the window for something newer & flashier. It just seemed like alot of the great things which the fans loved about the original predators had been "updated" to the point that it was almost as if the preds in AVP weren't even the same creatures, but rather mere shells of their predecessors.

thorndesignssig.jpg

I have to say that the AVP yatuja wer defonatly more astheticly pleasing. thes predators actualy looked like they would have absolutly no truble killing most things. ask for the mobilaty ishues id say scar pruved u all rong in the last sequance of the move fighting the queen his mastering of arial acrobatics combat was impresiv to say the leest praforming a spin in mid air whilst throwing a speath through the queens head not good enough for ya .. was for me. however that still dusant make up for howe bad the movie was !

Anarchysig.jpg
Death or healing I care not which you seek

OTANG, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

As I stated in the other thread, I believe the AvP Yaut'ja were brawlers more than hunters. A smaller Yaut'ja suggests it uses skills rather than brute force. I can't imagine an AvP yaut'ja playing mind games like the Yaut'ja from the first predator film did.

6d273dbd.jpg
Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

i liked the preds new designs. they looked stronger and buffer. lol i just got a crazy thought. who would win in a battle between a pred from AVP and Mr.T? no weapons just hands and legs and stuff.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Blo0/Signatures/00Alien_sig11.png DD- eeewwwww!!! what does this button do?!