What do you like about the Predator/Alien/AvP film saga?

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 18 years ago

What elements of these classic movies most attract you to them? Why are they so good in your opinion? I'd like many opinions on this.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~
http://www.freewebs.com/shanezilla

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 17 years ago

Did AvP mean this much to anyone else?

Blood-Bath3.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~

Voltage-3000, Undefined, 18 years ago

I like the design and of the story and aliens and predators, I like the fights and chase scenes

-Bloo-, Undefined, 18 years ago

I like the mysterious plots... and the fights.

Do you like Peanut Butter?
00Bloo_sig05.PNG

Voltage-3000, Undefined, 18 years ago

Violence lol

Crow, Undefined, 18 years ago

I've never been too big a fan of the predator series, but I'll say that the one thing which I enjoyed in both sagas is the feeling of suspense and awe which the aliens and predators produce. Both are, in their own respects, masters of stealth, and it is the unknown factor which I find makes the movies so thrilling (the older ones more than the newer).

45324912.jpg

Unknown, Undefined, 18 years ago

Well what drew me into the Alien and Predator series is that both had something very special, ORIGINALITY. How does someone come up with an alien hunter that hunts humans, and takes their skulls as trophies, it's genius. Predator had such unique characters, Blain, Billy, Hawkins, Mac, Dutch, Poncho, Dillon. When I first saw Predator I thought it had actually been real, but I quickly realized after the movie was over it wasn't real. The predator creature was so shockingly well created(thanks to Stan Winston). There is not one thing I would want to change about the predator it was and still is the most best creature design ever made, next to the original Alien design, in my opinion.

Alien series on the otherhand was very well done, excluding Alien Resurrection. Gigers most creepiest darkest creations in my opinion was the Alien. The whole idea of a creature that puts an alien embryo inside a human chest, and then it burst out from within the chest is very disturbing, but also very original and most creative. Other than the Alien creatures, were the characters in the Alien series all were most memorable and well constructed. I became really attached to them. In conclusion both the Alien and Predator series are genius.

brokentusk.jpg

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 18 years ago

That's about the same reasons I like them. Of course, the creaturea re fantastic, but the characters are so charismatic and real. The Alien and Predator films are some of the only films where you could really relate to and care about the characters before they were slaughtered. Originality and awesome writing is ever present, as is the thing that seduces me into liking these films: Mystery. They always keep you guessing. Not even close to all of the topics are covered, which is why we have great sites like this one to discuss unanswered questions. Mystery is the essence of mythology, and these film sagas are a huge part of mythology. Also, seeing these films at such a young age(Alien @ age 5) automatically places them with important childhood memories and experiences. I can still remember playing Alien: Resurrection in my backyard and in my swimming pool back in 1997 with my little brother and some alien action figures. The movies are also just so terrifyingly visceral. You feel like you're there as you are watching them.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

Unknown, Undefined, 18 years ago

i like as same BLOO i like predators movies and aliens movies,avp

Daemon how makes Trophy out of men

TDN, Undefined, 18 years ago

For each of the movies to me, they each did something special that I liked.

Alien was a science-fiction horror, presenting us with a creature that's never been seen before. It took a completely unique design, no longer conforming to the humanoid shape that most alien designs in movies seems to follow. There was nothing human about it, which is why it made such an effective killing machine. It gives characters we care about, and couple of good scares. Aliens took the series to another level, introducing the Marines, a tough group of soldier who fought these creatures (which will be copied by many movies later) with big guns. The movie was an action movie, going in a totally different way than the first. Alien3 returns to the way Alien was, a dark horror sci-fi film, but this time there was a mix of religious themes which made the movie better and darker. Alien Res was the only one I felt that didn't do anything special nor did I like it that much.

Predator was not just a great action movie with tough commandos, and decent characters, but it gave us another unique creature. Though it took on the humanoid form of a typical alien life-form, everything else about it is different. From the design of its face to the purpose it served, it was a creature that was truly amazing. The movie introduces a group of commandos who could take out a whole base by themselves, making them technically the "top of the food chain". And yet here we have a creature who hunts these men like animals, a hunter of man, the real top of the food chain. Predator 2 followed closely the formula of the first movie, but I still like it for its great action.

As for AVP, it was the idea that caught my interest. Two great creatures, each different than each other, pit in combat against each other. Though it was a great idea, and greatly executed on games, it failed in the movie. I find even though the movie was semi-enjoyable, it was still a failure to live up its potential that it could have had.

TDN2.jpg
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 17 years ago

Yeah, I agree on that TDN. A-v-P for me seemed like wondrous idea. I mean, ever since I first saw the alien and predator films, I have been waiting for them to wage war on screen. So Aliens versus Predator was the film I had been waiting for the longest. It means a great deal to me, for it is literally a dream come true. Bash it if you will, I still don't see what the big problem with AvP is. It's one of my all time favorite movies, vastly due to the anticipation. I have never followed EVERY SINGLE LITTLE BIT of news for a movie in my life besides this one. It is also one of my favorites because it is my family's version of a "family movie". The anticipation for the film was shared by all in my household; we were all HUGE fans of not just the A/P material, but of Science Fiction in general. But none more so than my brother and I. What's interesting is that though we both liked each franchise, he was more of a fan of the Yautja, and I was more of a Xenomorph fan. So watching the movie (we drove 45 miles just to see it) was like watching my brother and I fight. What is mroe fun than shouting cheers at well designed monsters clobbering each other with your sibling rival in a packed theater? I laughed when Grid murdered Chopper and Celtic, as he stated "This is the worst movie I have ever seen!", almost to the point of sobbing!!!!! Then, he unintentionally amused me when Scar decimated a pack of aliens with his plasma caster by saying "This is my favorite movie ever!" (something to that extent; his face lit up). After we saw it and loved it, there was now a film that my whole family could always agree on watching. There was something in it for all of us. When I went back to school, I was labeled the "Avpfreak"(sounds familar somehow...). This movie is the sole movie that all of my friends can watch with me and enjoy. When they think of it, they immediately think of me, which I find awesome. It's the film I am classified with. So there you have it. I firmly believe that AvP is an action packed thrill ride that combines two successful franchises together in a seamless and stylish manner. I still don't understand why there was such a lukewarm response among most fans (or maybe it's just this board).

Blood-Bath3.jpg

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

like bloo said,the mysterous plots,when people are walking down creepy halls about to get slaughtered,the violence..pritty much everything about it.

and i agree with avpfreak,it was a good antisapation movie,i waited for it for a long time,even though theres loads of stuff i'd change i still think that movie was worth the wait,loved the movie

cory.jpg
HuntersMoonMEMBER-byceltic102.jpg

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

To be honest, the very first time I saw AVP, it was in a cinema with one of my friends, & we were on the edge of out seats. We were both going for the predators so naturally when Grid had his little slaughterfest we were thinking "wtf?". At first I was thinking "ok, so they killed off the best predator in the movie & now we're stuck with the normal one. That must mean the last one does something great" then Scar gets facehugged. My jaw was on the ground & my eyes looked like 50 cent pieces.
After Scar eventually recovered & made his escape with lex, blasting the hell out of all in his way & the finale kicked in, the movie was really opening up. It had gone from a claustrophobic maze of creepy corridors scurrying with xenomorphs, to out on the surface of Antarctica.

By the end of the movie, when we walked out, we thought the movie was absolutely brilliant. We were buzzing about it for the rest of the week, well, at least I was anyway. So really, the first time watching AVP, it was quite good. Looking at it now though, as a direct comparison to it's predecessors, it really falls flat as an alien/predator film, but it is a good popcorn flick.

stalker.jpg