Aliens or Predators: Which is better at stealth?

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

Aliens have always been stealthy by nature, they use every inch of their environment to make sure they are not seen, at least not before they strike. In the original Alien, the Xeno was a ghost of death, it was impossible to tell just where it was, and where it would strike next.

Stealth comes naturally to Aliens, it's one of thier many survival instincts.

Predators, on the other hand, rely thier mastery of technology to hide them from thier prey. They are skilled in being where no-one would think to look for them, and unless you see those three red dots on you, It's nigh impossible to tell their even nearby, let alone find out exactly where they are.

They don't bother to hide, because thier cloaks do that for them.

So which do you think is more skilled in the art of stealth? Which do you think would be more able to sneak up on you?

SigIMalus.jpg

For a Marine: War is life, and Death is the only true Peace. (I wanna be an Alpha Draconis member, GO MARINES!!!)

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

the environment (as already stated) would be a big factor. Predators can conceal themselves easily in open environments, especially places that have high-up ledges (or tree branches). Even without their cloak they are excellent at ambushing prey (as shown in the abbatoir scene in predator 2)

Aliens on the other hand are very effective at hiding in darkness & enclosed spaces. This is quite tough to judge, but I'd say that the preds are more skilled at using stealth than aliens are, as not only do they have a technological aid, but they are naturally quite good at hiding & ambushing prey.

thorndesignssig.jpg

black_warrior, Undefined, 17 years ago

I agree with bloo on the wrong enviroment thing.

but if i had to choose i think it would be a hard one.

out in the daylight it would be easier to see an alien than in the dark, unless it was around a corner. same goes for preds, but they're cloak would make them almost undetected if they didnt move. and the dark would favor the cloaked preds more, meaning they could still stand in the open and not be seen as easily as in the light. but it would also favor aliens more too.

i have an undecided decision.

Blackwarrior-sig.jpg
.:Message Board, RPG Rules & Information:.<--Click it

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Yes, they may very well be a little better, so I go with Aliens. But mind this: it depends on eviroment. Wrong enviroment, and they're dead.

00Bloo_sig02.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the mental house just got caught."

Angus_Alien, Undefined, 17 years ago

Very interesting thread.

00Alien_sig01.png

I’m the only one who can walk in both worlds.

Kidd, Undefined, 17 years ago

Xenos, give them a place that favors them, they are great with Comaflage, but here:
Yautjas have the Technology to become invisible which favors them when they don't move, but when they do, it beats the purpose of it. If they want to make it work, they have to be sure that their Prey is unaware of them.
Xenos on the other hand, use their natural surroundings to be comaflage. Like Grid done away with that first Yautja. Take a quick glance at Grid, he would look like a Statue, but then look at him closely, you are a dead person.

Yautjas use Technology, Xenos use Nature. If I have to pick between the two, I would have to say Xenos.
Remember what I said before, it depends on their surroundings. If it doesn't favor them, then they are good as dead.

Sorry about that, I thought it was Camoflage, but oh well, I favor the Xenos... My bad in this subject though but I let it remain. -nods-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wars are the Dread of Mothers

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Ermm, a few words: enviroment, range, and overall intelligence.

The Predators seem good, but yes, they actually try and stay hidden, as they know, some skilled prey are able to see them, even with the cloak on. Close range, they hide and wait, but far range, they're like the demons that are described as them.

But would they want to be so far away from their prey? No. Keep a good distance, yes. But a majority of that time, that distance is close enough for their prey to even get a glimpse of their movement.

The Aliens seem good, and have that natural ability, but depending on eviroment and intelligence, they will be easily spotted if too careless (which is highly rare with them, mind you).

But enviroment and intelligence - highest issue with the Alien. Intelligence and range with the Predator.

It depends on what you mean by... "Who's the best?"

00Bloo_sig02.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the mental house just got caught."

visually predators have better stealth. aliens i think are food at seeing the stealth like in avp how the alien killed chopper when he had his stealth active but like some of u said it depends on the environment.

scarredyautja12sig.jpg

I have to say it depends on the range. Visually, predators seem better, however, their camo is only effective at longer ranges, simply because in close quaters the ripple gives more away than just blending into the wall, as an alien would do with ease.

Drenton.jpg

alien ar master of stealht can kill prey if far way jump pounce Attack take HeadBitt and prey die (aliens ar best in ambush)

in Space, No one can Hear you Scream

Ah, but in the simple act of attacking from long range, one may sacrifice thier concealment, surely it's better to get in close, and then attack, that way, the target has that much less reaction time.

And I guess we're all forgetting about the poor old humans. We've been using concealment for centuries, and we've gotten so good that we can even mask out infa-red signature to match that of vegetation. Humans have none of the advantages of aliens or preds, but in the original predator, Dutch found a way to keep himself hidden from the Predator. Ingenuity is an important part of camo. And it's vital for it, in some part or another.

SigIMalus.jpg

To be powerful, you need an army.
To have an army, you need to be powerful.

_Zwecky_, Undefined, 17 years ago

Thats a really tough question. I may have to say the pred because it can still stand out in the open
without being seen because of their cloaking, this way it is easier to move about without having to hide behind objects. Xenos rely on the environment to hide so it may be hard to sneak up on someone who is in an open space without alot of cover. But then again it all depends on the environment. Xenos are good in tight in close situation using their surroundings as cover.

00Alien_sig03-1.pngIn Wal-Mart Everyone Can Hear You Scream

You have a very good point there. I personally believe that aliens would have the upper hand. With the knowledge that you can remain unseen without really trying, A predator is much more likely to be more cocky and make mistakes. Also, if thier camo shorts out, their stuffed. Aliens, on the other hand, concentrate fully on stealth, and do not need to fear that thier concealment will suddenly flicker out- into a display of electricity that practically shouts: "LOOK AT ME!" Not a good thing when you're trying to keep form being seen. And yeah, aliens rely on thier environment for concealment, and that is thier strength. A predator would be in serious trouble if he tried to hide without his camo. However, an alien manages to conceal itself without any outside help.

And that is why I believe that Xenos camoflage themselves better than Yautja: Because they can conceal themselves without help. They adhere to the good old rules of camoflage. Shape, Silouette, Shine, Sound and Movement.

SigIMalus.jpg

To be powerful, you need an army.
To have an army, you need to be powerful.

I would have to say that preds are better.For one thing aliens are always leaving saliva every where which makes them easy to track.

The enemy has but one weakness....FEAR

OTANG, Undefined, 17 years ago

This is an old topic, but....
I would definitely say Yautja have the better stealth capabilities. Darkwing Bug implied Xenos don't need technology to conceal themselves and Yatuja do. The Question is who is better at stealth, not who is has better natural stealth. If that were the question, 99% of the time, its always the lower beings such as Xenos or other animals becuase thats the primary means of defense and offense. With all the claws, teeth, etc., nothing means more than the element of surprise to lower beings. But the answer remains to be Yautja, which can conceal themselves in plain sight, where as xeno can draw attention to themselves in the wrong environment. My two cents.
Advantage, Yautja.

6d273dbd.jpg
Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

OTANG, Undefined, 17 years ago

Mishmuf
2006-10-03 15:23:32 Delete

"Also, aliens are smart. They don't just run into an area without some stealth. And they realize that they are black so they try to blend in."

I guess you have never seen 'Aliens' :P

6d273dbd.jpg
Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

I always considered that aliens hide in dark places for camuflage, but that they r not really stealthy, cause they have the excesive saliva and they like making noise just to show off...(u know the 1st praetorian u fight in avp2? i can kill it even before it tryes to hit me) They can also only use meele ataks and they can`t hide while running twords you cause they`re too big and make too much noise...

But preds are clearly better... against humans, cause aliens and preds could see eachother at anytime. And a pred could kill you and let no1 know what hit you, but if an alien kills you, every1 will be able to see that a big black thing is ripping you into peaces and then screams just to scare you before he starts killing everyone else.

DW.png
From the depths of the great Metal Sea we come to restore equalty...

nostromo, Undefined, 17 years ago

in aliens2, the xenos only had good camo because the skin color macthed the wall (hive wutever). the predators may use techology,but they dont run aroud makin to much noise. i say preds r better at stealh.

Mishmuf, Undefined, 17 years ago

Why do you guys keep thinking that aliens are always making noise ? Sure, they're very vocal, but that's only when they're in a pack or have cleared the area of hostiles.

Also, aliens are smart. They don't just run into an area without some stealth. And they realize that they are black so they try to blend in. There's nothing wrong with old fashion camoflage.

MishmufSig.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

Mishmuf, Undefined, 17 years ago

Well even then they didn't just directly attack them at first. During the Marines first encounter with aliens, tha aliens hid at first using the walls to conseal thenselves til they attacked. Then on their second encounter with the aliens, the aliens not only cut the power, but crawled in the ceiling in an attempt to have the element of surprize.

Sure the alien weren't as stealthy as the first drone, btu that's only because they didn't need to as much.

MishmufSig.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

Agreed. When you outnumber the opposition 100 to one, stealth kinda becomes redundant, but Xenos have shown thier stalth skills in the first and third alien movies. You could never see them coming until it was too late, and when they made a kill, they just faded back into the background.

0.jpg