Paul Anderson-AvP not his fault?

Deathdrop, Yautja, 18 years ago

Before anything else is said, keep this polite and respect everyone's oppinions. I'm only saying that once. Anyhoo, I've thought about it, and I really think Fox is to blame for AvP. Paul Anderson clearly wanted to create an R-rated movie when he started out, and judging from the novel, the fist-draft screenplay would have been massive. Let's face facts: Anderson was ready to make a huge picture. However, Fox had him make it PG-13, Fox gave him a weak budget, Fox gave him barely a year to make the film, Fox marketed it to hell when they knew it was cheaply done, and Fox is, in my oppinion, to blame for AvP's failure. The same exact thing happened in Alien 3, Alien Ressurection, Daredevil, and countless others, I'm sure. I really do think that Anderson can direct. He just isn't as good with writing. Purely as a director, though, he could make some good stuff. AvP had it's moments. Team Anderson up with the right writer, and you could have a pretty decent film. Although thanks to 20th Century COX, it's too late for AvP...

deathdrop1.jpg

donut, Yautja, 18 years ago

I never really thought of it, and perhaps your right. But the movies i've seen paul anderson direct really are cr@py, unless they were low budgeted too, which they totally could of been.

673296.jpg
~i draw things...it is delicious~
~first female on teh site! w00t w00t!~
I ARE A XENOMORPH! MOOF

TDN, Yautja, 18 years ago

Well, judging from the way Paul Anderson talked in the AVP commentary, sounds like he's really proud of his movie. If Fox had truly ruined the vision of the movie he wanted to make, then he would've bashed it like there's no tomorrow. But he sounded like he really thought the movie was good, so I kind of doubt it. Plus, he could just be lying and putting the blame on Fox after his movie failed. Well, it's how I see it anyways.

TDN2.jpg
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

Deathdrop, Yautja, 18 years ago

Or he's being a "good boy" so he can work at Fox again at some point. And have you listened to the commentary? "ARG, I hate that shot!" stuff like that. He dosen't slip a lot, but there are a few moments.

deathdrop1.jpg

Unknown, Yautja, 18 years ago

totally agree dd,it wasnt his fault.the movie(once greenlit)was rushed to get out for a summer release in the us.lets just hope they learned their lesson ad take a little time to make the next one.they must know how all us avp fans feel by now,so fingers crossed for summer 2007.

killswitchers.bmp.jpg

black_warrior, Yautja, 18 years ago

You know now that you say that i do agree with you, having low budget and being rushed can really make any movie really bad.

blackwarriorssig.jpg
Rules Of The Board
"It is not the way you die that makes you a hero, it is the way you live."

Stalker, Yautja, 18 years ago

Come to think of it, u've got a good point there DD. Although I still do not agree with alot of anderson's choices, namely altering the predators so much etc. But the movie probably could have been much better if the proper work & budget had been put into it. As it stands though, I don't see AVP as a terrible movie, I just see it as quick entertainment, the kind of movie that u pull out at 3am when u've got nothing else to do. It is only truly a bad movie when compared to it's predecessors

stalker.jpg

TDN, Yautja, 18 years ago

Well, all that "Arg, I hate that shot" gets cancelled by all the "Oh that's a beatiful shot, beautiful" that seems to be all over the commentary. At least, from what I got from his commentaries, that he really likes what he had done. And plus, if you look back at the works this man has done, you could find that most of his works are bad (Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil). So when he tries to convince people that his works had potential and was messed up by Fox, with a record like that, it's really hard to believe him.

And AVP wasn't the worst movie ever, but it was quite bad. It (especially the concept of Aliens and Predators fighting) had potential to be so much more, yet it failed in what it promised to deliver.

TDN2.jpg
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

Nick_Kang_20, Yautja, 18 years ago

Well in the making of AVP you can see them filming some scenes not in the unrated version (never seen the older one) and not in the 11 deleted scenes too (downloaded them all) so maybe they filmed the making before the film was released like the original crow movie and he wasn't aware that they edited the film he however, cannot take all the credit though cause Dan O' Bannon also was involved in the novel too so he can't take too much credit although I wish they stashed the pyramid setting though would be better if it was a more claustrophobic enviroment but then again, the goddamned budget wouldn't allow it so overall, 20th Century Cox is to be blamed.

30.jpg
cs2-bar.jpg