Movie contradictions

daveberg, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Was just thinking about this, one sprang to mind straight away....

The inclusion of hot breath coming from the Aliens in the second and fourth movie, but then in reflection to the original film, the alien was shown to be able to survive the vacuum of space. If indeed the aliens have a circulatory system that has them breathing the same way we do, then the pressure of deep space would have caused the creature to rupture and ultimately explode if you will.

Something to think about...

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

I would have presumed that the pressure worked the same way it does underwater, go too deep and your lungs/organs explode (That's basically gospel as i'm a certified diver and had to learn all these facts) the human/oxygen breathing organisms are not created to sustain such force.

I would have guessed any prolonged time in deep vacuum would have caused massive internal injuries and rupturing of vital organs.

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Unknown, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

hah , great point D , never really thought about the queen sreeching

Arhar matey ... i got my answer

*Overall analasys " Aliens surviving in space for the length of time it did acts as no evidence towards aliens breathing or not
....................Questrion =
How long can a human live unprotected in space?

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury. Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness.

Various minor problems (sunburn, possibly "the bends", certainly some [mild, reversible, painless] swelling of skin and underlying tissue) start after ten seconds or so. At some point you lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. Injuries accumulate. After perhaps one or two minutes, you're dying. The limits are not really known.

You do not explode and your blood does not boil because of the containing effect of your skin and circulatory system. You do not instantly freeze because, although the space environment is typically very cold, heat does not transfer away from a body quickly. Loss of consciousness occurs only after the body has depleted the supply of oxygen in the blood. If your skin is exposed to direct sunlight without any protection from its intense ultraviolet radiation, you can get a very bad sunburn.

At NASA's Manned Spacecraft Center (now renamed Johnson Space Center) we had a test subject accidentally exposed to a near vacuum (less than 1 psi) in an incident involving a leaking space suit in a vacuum chamber back in '65. He remained conscious for about 14 seconds, which is about the time it takes for O2 deprived blood to go from the lungs to the brain. The suit probably did not reach a hard vacuum, and we began repressurizing the chamber within 15 seconds. The subject regained consciousness at around 15,000 feet equivalent altitude. The subject later reported that he could feel and hear the air leaking out, and his last conscious memory was of the water on his tongue beginning to boil.

Aviation Week and Space Technology (02/13/95) printed a letter by Leonard Gordon which reported another vacuum-packed anecdote:

"The experiment of exposing an unpressurized hand to near vacuum for a significant time while the pilot went about his business occurred in real life on Aug. 16, 1960. Joe Kittinger, during his ascent to 102,800 ft (19.5 miles) in an open gondola, lost pressurization of his right hand. He decided to continue the mission, and the hand became painful and useless as you would expect. However, once back to lower altitudes following his record-breaking parachute jump, the hand returned to normal."

Universal Affliction: The best site on the Web ;)
Liquid GFX:Graphics central of the Universe;)
Alienavp2siggsmallercopy.png

The filtration tubes on the aliens backs have been documented to take in the surrounding elements and transform them into some kind of nourishment or fuel of a kind for the aliens.
This again could play a part in the events we see over the course of the four movies and the contradictions that we percieve to take place.

Reference to the Anchor point essays - that site is a wonderfull source of xenomorph information.

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Crow, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Okay, I think I actually have an answer for this one --

As Dave has pointed out, xenomorphs don't need to breathe, or rather, can't. However, that is not to say that they do not have a use for air. It's very possible that they take in air from their outside environment for the purposes of communication and physical behavior. (I also have my theory of how they do this written in my Xenomorph Biology thread)

The queen might have been breathing heavily as a nervous response to Ripley's presence, or as a way to appear more intimidating in the presence of a foreign organism.

The hot breath is most likely a continuity error, as being neither endothermic nor exothermic would mean that their body temperature must be adaptable enough to always match their surrounding environment.

The bubbles rising in Alen: Res could also just have been stray pockets of oxygen rising from the xenomorphs vocal system.

Crow-Banner.gif?t=1165440971
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

FireHunter, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

if anything,an alien will most likely explode after about 30-minutes whilst in the vacuum of space.

Bloodlust and ten thousand years of bitter hatred fuel these Forces of Chaos,driving their relentless crusade to destroy the Emperor and reduce His Imperium to ashes.Let the Galaxy Burn!

Fire-Breather of The Hive

Nope, you cannot survive in space if you are an oxygen breathing organism. a good example of this is featured in Event Horizon when 'Baby bear' opens the air lock and gets sucked into space, his veins and organs look like they are about to explode.

Tiny other things such as the queen screeching whilst falling through space in Aliens - there's no oxygen in space hence there would be no noise....

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Very True ..... Ive questioned that for quit a while now ..

Really for me, two instances in aliens and 1 in Rez has got me thinking they do indeed require oxygen

First in Aliens, the scene were newt has fallen into the water and the Alien rises from behind her and captures her, There are a few airbubbles that actually surface just before the alien rises

Also in Aliens im aware of the fact that aliens use oxygen to power the head bit, but that dosent explain why the very stressed, angered queen was breathing emmensley when ripley entered the Hive in aliens
yet the fact that aliens respire would explain that alot

*** a compact whale can hold its breath for 50 minutes, the underwater scene (Rez) possible aliens dont require the same quantities as we do ***

Still though im not sure about this one . ive yet to make a decision

Question, Im not to sharp on science, but is it not true that you can survive in space for a short period of time by holding your breath or exhaling

that was in titan 7, but im not sure how true it is ...... we dont know what actually happened when the alien went off screen , could have emploded shortly after

??? Il have a think lol

Alienavp2siggsmallercopy.png

lol yeah , thats has to be taken into consideration lol

i was thinking about this last night (Sad i know) lol maths can do that to people

and lol ive only gone and jumped accross to the other side of the fence again

lol D, your actually the one who made me think of this .... Screeching

The aliens main use for oxygen is might just be communication, you cant produce sound without it

that would explain the Queen aliens heavy breathing considering at the time she required it to order the two warriors not to attack ripley whilst she held the flamethrower over the eggs

Aliens would appear to be very tactical in how they hunt prey and communication is clearly important to them which would explain the constant iintake of air (Rez: Both killing the other alien and expiring against the glass)

Stll not caertain though lol

12123Shadow.png