Hives - friends or enemies?

predatoress, Undefined, 18 years ago

I was wondering, and I don't know if this have been asked before 'cos I haven't seen anything like it, but if there is separate hives and queens do they fight with each other or are they intelligent enough to form an alliance for the sake of the speacies? 'Cos I know predators can ally but they can also be in war with each other, depenting on the situation. But how far goes the animal instinct of the xenos?

I know this is pure speculation but I would want to hear opinnions when there are so many experts around.

I personally see aliens pretty much as dogs. They learn by the try and error, and by observing and making presumptions (like the red button in some alien movie) so I would see 'em intelligent enough to co-operate with each other if there's need.

Or hmmh, do they have terrotories what they guard? Does the queen reject the newborn queen so she would look a new place to live and breed? Or would there be a fight where the weakest queen would fall?

predatoress2.jpg

The servant and the observer of Balatu

The Hunters forum

World of Predators forum

CuteFaceHugger, Undefined, 18 years ago

I think they would fight because look at ants if you get a fire ant{dosent have to be fire ant eneny and or bee will do} from one ant mound and put it in another the other ants will kill it once they relise its not from there Queen same for bees and the queens will fight to.altho Xenos are much smarter so they probley dont go looking for fights and if other xenos hives are spread out they might not have a problem

cutes sig

Proud to be of the hive!

predatoress, Undefined, 18 years ago

Good points everyone.

But what if the queens are from the same offspring and related to each other? Now that xenos have been compared to ants there could be natural selection of favouring the cousins. Like with any community insects there could be several queens ruling for the name of the bloodline. By co-operating and acting altruist they would prolly have better change to survive and bred their genes but then the food situation should be good. But still there might be rivalling.

I'm not saying that it is like this, I'm just giving options.

predatoress2.jpg

The servant and the observer of Balatu

The Hunters forum

World of Predators forum

OTANG, Undefined, 18 years ago

big ups to isijin! thank you for clearing it up for them. :)

otangmodsig2.jpg

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory

Tha Forum Rules

Iseijin, Undefined, 18 years ago

My opinion?: Hell no!

Two Hives near the same territory is the ultimate recipy for disaster. Granted, Queens are intelligent, but nowhere near saints. A Queen only has her nest and eggs in mind. Only for herself. Drones are expendable, they live to serve her. Xenomorphs Queens are the ultimate ego-centrics; they live for themselves abd everything else is either a) hosts, or b) food. If a creature were to fall neither into "a" nor "b" then the rare "c" appears: threat.

Another Queen and her Hive is a direct threat.

Direct threats to the Queen cannot be tolerated. Think about it, there is an entire territory of resources and food to make your own Hive the most successful one with the greatest chances for your offspring to live, and then comes another Queen after the same thing. What are you going to do? Create an alliance? No way. She's competition, not an ally. There are not enough resources for two nests. One of them has to go. Yes, this would lead to a rare but brutal fight between the two nests. Oddly enough, a Queen would engage the other royal bug in the fray and no matter how many drones have fought and lost, it's the queens that will decide the victor. Like chess; one can utilize all the pawns, but the game is only over when royalty falls. When one Queens claims victory over the other, the loser's nest, including drones and eggs - and impregnated hosts - will be destroyed.

No mercy.

iseiginsig7nu.jpg

predalien_64, Undefined, 18 years ago

Good point otang that is true and I was reiterating.
24200030516.jpg

Predalien of the Shadow Serpents

Unknown, Undefined, 18 years ago

Agreed.Spoken like a true saint.lol.

Katam.jpg
liquidaffiliate.jpg
Messageboard Rules.

cool. opinions matter. but why the opinion is what we wanna see.

katam:
'they learn realy fast but dnt learn often they only learn what they need to learn to survive...'---INSTINCT

'Hive will copoerate in times of need and they are hives normaly in animals if anything has a hive they fight over terrotory so yeah they would fight eachother.'-----INSTINCT,

predalien64:
'hives sometimes co op to defeat a common foe'---INSTINCT, and katam already sed that
donut:
'they can reason as seen in ALIENS when the queen was trying to protect her eggs'----INSTINCT

'i'm sure there would be some physical conflict but it would be resolved without an actual "battle"---INSTINCT

drenton:
'Queens most likely would be able to form a sort of 'alliance' with other Queens, provided that they didn't spread their hive into the other Queens territory.----INSTINCT

intincts, all these are behaviors found on earth animal species...the will to survive, the will to keep the bloodline alive.

hmm sorry guys its just some oeep saying same thing over and over and adding nothing, but still your opinions are respected.

otangmodsig2.jpg

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory

Tha Forum Rules

No offence taken dude it is all just ower own point of views.I must admit tho that the alien queen with the lift is abit over the top but they are more than just animals with basic instinct.

Katam.jpg
liquidaffiliate.jpg
Messageboard Rules.

Navypaz the site is far from being dead trust me i know iv been here enough to know that this is far from dead and there are qiut times on he site since ppl have better things to do thatn sit on a computer all day.Plus you have to think that time diffrence aswell dude ppl dnt all live in th uk.

I agree on the ant thing but ants some ant nests spawn new queens to go else were thing is they end up fighting an alience but they dnt know they are to small to think past that and if you look at a driver ant they are most likly the most smarest ants ever and biggest too there collony can spread upto 4000 they have so many diffrent ways of over coming difficult areas and oponents.Xenos in my eyes are very simpler.

Katam.jpg
liquidaffiliate.jpg
Messageboard Rules.

Hunter_Predator, Undefined, 18 years ago

They would fight, there is enough of their species, thats were the expression "Hive Wars" came from, I guess, it sounds corcky to me.

~~~~~YOUR DESTRUCTION, IS THE WILL OF THE GODS, AND WE ARE THEIR INSTRUMENT~~~~~FEET FIRST INTO HELL~~~~~BALATU MEMBER~~~~~

Deathdrop, Undefined, 18 years ago

It depends. If the rumors of a "superqueen" are true, then no. But if not, I'm sure hives would occasionally fight.

deathdrop1.jpg

Stalker, Undefined, 18 years ago

I have heard that rival hives can engage in battle, rival queens will go head to head for control of the territory, whether these fights are to the death or not is uncertain, but I'm sure they would be brutal

stalker.jpg

I read somwere that they are a bit like ants. The queen may develope a condition were she is red, and so are her children. Red aliens and black aliens fight like ants.

Bow chicka wow wow. What ever that means.

Big O.I think you underestimate the xeno race they have much intelegence they learn realy fast but dnt learn often they only learn what they need to learn to survive none of the rubish they need.Hive will copoerate in times of need and they are hives normaly in animals if anything has a hive they fight over terrotory so yeah they would fight eachother.

Katam.jpg
liquidaffiliate.jpg
Messageboard Rules.

there are some intresting ideas here. personally i think they indeed do battle for territory, just like many other species on earth. if hives cooperate, that implies intelleigence, and xenos dont have it. two queens cooperating requires too much intelligence. they have instict; the will to survive.

otangmodsig2.jpg

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory

Tha Forum Rules

predalien_64, Undefined, 18 years ago

I agree with Katam, hives sometimes co op to defeat a common foe. And aliens are good learners when the time comes and if there is a "super queen" the hives enemy is in big trouble

24200030516.jpg

Predalien of the Shadow Serpents

donut, Undefined, 18 years ago

i agree with Katam as well, and the queens i believe do have the intelligence to cooperate, they can reason as seen in ALIENS when the queen was trying to protect her eggs, i'm sure there would be some physical conflict but it would be resolved without an actual "battle"

~i draw things...it is delicious~
~first female on teh site! w00t w00t!~
I ARE A XENOMORPH! MOOF

i agree with Katam as wel

Daemon how makes Trophy out of men

Yes. Queens are intellegent. I think that every one seems to ignore the fact that the queen in ALIENS was able to operate a lift. Queens most likely would be able to form a sort of 'alliance' with other Queens, provided that they didn't spread their hive into the other Queens territory.

Bow chicka wow wow. What ever that means.

KATAM, dude no disrespect but you're not saying annything different than what i said. same goes for everyone else, i know u wanna defend xenos but u keep saying the same thing i say in a different way. to say they cooperate is one thing, they have a common enemy and will do what they must to survive, once again this is instinct. and as far as the lift is concerened i covered this months ago, yes queens can can learn but as i said many months ago if the queen was to operate a lift it must:
1) identify the lift as a method of transportation
2) recognize that it must squeeze itself into this small enclosure without any of its appendages protruding from the lift unless it doesnt mind them being cutoff as the lift ascends
3) recognize the standard mechanical comformaties of the time, in other words it must know that there are controls for this lift and where they are located
4) it must be able to acquire a knowledge of an alien language
5) once it has acquired this knowledge of an alien language, it must know to follow directions and push the correct button

keep in mind it has to learn all these things in the 15 seconds it takes ripley to realize the lift is ascending. if the queen can actually do this heck she is smarter and u or me can ever be, smarter than yautja, smarter than anything in the universe. sorry folks thats jsut a movie thing to keep it going.

otangmodsig2.jpg

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory

Tha Forum Rules