Xenomorph's and Predator's skin questions

TDN, Human, 18 years ago

Okay, some of the websites, and as Dave also said, says that Xenomorphs have chitinous exoskeleton. But when I asked my Biology teacher about Chitin, he said that it was the same material that makes the exoskeleton of creatures such as lobsters and crabs. These things can't even resist a single shot of even a small arms fire like a simple pistol. So when you guys say that Xenomorph's exoskeleton gives it protection against small arms fire, how is that possible? And that exoskeleton can't resist heat or cold either. And Xenos could be killed by a pistol as seen in the scene in Aliens where Vasquez killed a Xeno with her pistol in the air duct.
And secondly, how tough are the Predator's skin when compared to the Xenos' exoskeleton. I've always thought of them as being tougher because they seem to be able to be immune from small arms fire, so which exactly is tougher?
I just want to clear things up a bit. Maybe I'm going too far with Biology here but I just want to clear this up.

predalien_64, Human, 18 years ago

Vasquez killed the alien because she shot it at point blank range(really close) and as a result the shots were stronger closer then farther

predalien640tc.jpg

nicholaskang, Human, 18 years ago

the pred skin is more fragile and the chittin thing maybe xenomorphs have chittin which is harden alot?

alienhumandate7hs.jpg Aliens and Preds forum

nicholaskang, Human, 18 years ago

and plus she stepped on the xenos head (darn she must be friggin strong to hold it down)

xenomorph4ap.jpg Aliens and Preds forum

"Vasquez ever been confused with a man" Pvt.Hudson.
predalien640tc.jpg

TDN, Human, 18 years ago

You mean Pvt.Hudson.
About the skin thing, yeah but how come a Xenomorph's could be harder than a lobster's shell if it's both made out of the same chemical, Chitin. It could have been thicker but it would have to be way thicker to be able to resist even the smallest types of bullet.

sorry im the worst with name and who's face thay go to

predalien640tc.jpg

TDN, Human, 18 years ago

Okay so we've established that the Predator's skin is more fragile than the Xenomorph's exoskeleton. But that still doesn't explain about the Chitin thing and why it could resist bullets.