Pred_Killer, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

Estatica is right, Aliens are stronger, but they usually don't show it, due to their biology and the way they've evolved, they would have to, it wouldn't make sense, you need more strength to pull down a fully armored marine carrying a hundred pounds or so of equipment than to run through walls, that just requires momentum, not to mention Predators weigh more when they're armored, so that also contributes. I think I also forgot to mention how the Alien in Alien3 leapt out of 20 or 30 tons or boiling hot lead, and was nothing more than a little pissed off.

EDIT: And looking at one of DeathWraith's earlier posts, in response, you don't necessarily need hulking muscles to be strong, my stepdad, Nolan, can bench more than my friend Patrick, and he's much more muscled.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

I'm trying to make this interesting, and all we're getting is yet another argument over which monster can bench more. Could we just agree that the two are about equal and move on?

Not to step on any toes, but the key word in the title is "NEW", after all.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

"Estatica is right, Aliens are stronger, but they usually don't show it, due to their biology and the way they've evolved, they would have to, it wouldn't make sense, you need more strength to pull down a fully armored marine carrying a hundred pounds or so of equipment than to run through walls, that just requires momentum, not to mention Predators weigh more when they're armored, so that also contributes."

What the fuck kind of physics do they teach in your schools?

"you need more strength to pull down a fully armoured marine carrying a hundred pounds or so of equipment than to run through walls" NO, MAN, NO! CAN YOU EVEN GRASP HOW OUTRAGEOUS THAT STATEMENT WAS? Are you suggesting that any person who can lift about 300 pounds is more than strong enough to run through walls? I'm sorry to have to destroy your unrealistic fantasy, but there is NOTHING you could do to a human being that is physycally harder than running through a bunch of concrete walls UNLESS the act itself involved running through a bunch of concrete walls. And aliens CANNOT run through walls. If they could, they wouldn't give two shits about using the vents. Even the Queen avoids running through walls.

Seriously, if there's one thing i've learned in my few years here, it's that Aliens die, so they are not the perfect organism!

predatoress, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

"What else if not the loss of a mother dying while giving birth does this symbolize? One life traded for another. Nothing is gained, though it is conforting that it is not a total loss."

Wow, they're more intelligent than us! Natural balance.

"And you have no way of defending yourself against him because you don't know when he comes, you just know that when he does, you won't find anything bautiful anymore"

To this I would say death by drone is beautiful, but I would rather keep the facefu... Huggers away<< But again I'm fascinated by skulls in general, the structure of Carnivore's teeth etc. so... Without speaking of blades.

To the power issue, like Wraithy boy said I don't think pulling anyone down needs great strength... I mean if you open a hatch and some dumb marine is carrying all those stuff (making him clumsy) he could just trip on his shoelace to fall under. Or you could just hang on him like a leech and really let the gravity do it's job.

I find it silly to argue (again...) who is bigger and badder, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

To Pred_Killer - it depends very much on your routine of how much you work out and what types of muscle cells you have, as well as I assume your dad is way older than your friend (hormone issues). Some bodybuilders uses lots of steroids to build mass but never gain the strength they possibly could achieve.

Exactly, you don't need muscle to be strong. I'm just going to ignore DeathWraith, because my reply will most likely get me banned, even though it is a great counter, I can't risk it, even though he DID ignore DD, a senior member... -roll eyes-

Ignorance, the American way!

(coolface, coooooool faaaaaaace)

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

Let's not assume we're better than anyone else here. Even though we might be.

I will now make a fake cough motion in which you will easily identify as fake.

And now let's get back on topic.

If that comment gets deleted due to babysitting, i will understand. But really, it's stupid to act like a spoiled 12 year old kid and simply ignore facts because you wish the world were different. I'm not trying to start a fight, but this is a thread about what you think the Aliens and Predators should be, not about a magical world where it's harder to pull down a guy than to run through walls. I don't know why you keep blabbing about your musclemass there, because that's not what i'm talking about.

Here's the thing: If the writer decides the script needs an extra "Eek!" momment, the Alien jumps out of lead, or the Predator smashes through a wall, etc.

If this were an argument over a lion and a tiger, it would be reasonable. As it stands, we're talking about two fictional monsters.

In Pred 1, the Pred is killed by a log; in Pred 2, it survives a hundred foot fall. In Alien 3, the Xeno can shoot itself out of molten lead like it were nothing; In Aliens, a human held one down with one foot.

I'm not trying to be one of "those people", but this is pointless. We actually had an interesting topic about how we feel the beasts are best portrayed, and it's devolved into yet another stupid flamewar about which fictional monster could kick the other's ass.

BORING.

... So, everyone, what do you think Aliens/Preds should be like?

I think you're one of "those people" Deathdrop. I've already said, i'm not trying to start a fight and i'm not debating over which one could kick the other's ass. Those situations you've listed are very different and cannot be compared to eachother in a way that would reveal a contradiction when it comes to physical strength. I may become a bit overenthusiastic when it comes to discussing xenomorphs, but i am only trying to make a point here. And that point is that Aliens don't need, nor do they possess exceptional physical strength, because they have other natural advantages that make them deadly even without it. I'm not saying that an Alien couldn't collapse a concrete wall because it's too weak, but that it would take it a few tries.

And of course when i say "facts" i mean fictional facts, i'm basing a theory about a movie character on things that happened in the movie, don't start taking it as if i were talking about real xenomorphs...

That wasn't aimed only at you. As far as Pred_killer being unreasonable, yeah, I'm with you on that one.

And that's why you are NEVER going to convince him of anything, ever. He has decided that Aliens are stronger regardless of what the movies show.

I admit I tried to bring the whole thing to a quick end by appealing to the whole "it's just a movie" thing (and having re-thought it, yeah, that was a dick move) but why take the whole thread off-topic just to argue with him about something that he will NEVER concede? After 3 pages, why bother?

So I apologize for insulting your intelligence, but do you see my point?

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

When I mentioned this topic having flame war potential I didn't imply there actually should be any flame wars.

Now that doesn't mean they aren't capable of producing the funnies but we should really keep on topic and stay away from verbal violence.

ANYWAY

...Aliens. Predators. Discussinate.

So that's it, nobody is with me on this?

Guess I'm just different, and I have to deal with it.

I wish I could fit in, I wish SOMEONE were on my side...

...I guess that's too much to ask for.

I wasn't trying to hurt anyone, flame, or start any fights....

...If I came off that way, I appologize.

I am a sore loser and I am always wrong.

Now can you please leave me alone, and let me pretend I am right for once...

v.v

predator428, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

On predator culture, I like the idea of a constant one-up-manship that a couple of the comics have put forward. The idea is that preds are constantly going after kills to prove they are better then one another and force themselves to take on more and more dangerous prey in order to keep from falling behind in social status. Kind of a spin on "what isn't constantly challenged grows weak". Its a way to keep each pred at top physical condition and to make sure that they never become lazy or arrogant at some once great kill they had made earlier in their lifetime.

Yeah since Preds must keep doing this that doesn't make them 'as' alien and more understandable.