So... How the hell do Xenos breathe, anyway?

Deathdrop, Yautja, 14 years ago

Witht the awesome boost in activity as of late, I figured I'd ask an A/P related question.

Pred_Killer, Yautja, 14 years ago

I assume they probably breath through their mouth, and skin, I wouldn't readily assume they breath through their back tubes as Dragon didn't have these (he'd suffocate.) AND in Resurrection / AVP / AND the first Alien if I remember correctlyu steam can be seen fuming from their jaws, it would be ridiculous to say 'they don't breath'. 8\

predator428, Yautja, 14 years ago

This one is a bit of a challenge, because who says they breath? Kind of hard to prove it either way since they could still have some sort of organ for making noise, but not necessarily breathing.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 14 years ago

Communication is key. There's no "I" in team!!...

...So. Breathing. Actually that's what I was thinking. We can't say for sure they breathe the same way we do. But they communicate. The Queen's "breathing" was probably just some sort of habit the not actual breath intake.

I'll write out something better later when I'm not tired maybe. But yeah those are my thoughts for now.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 14 years ago

We know all forms of the alien can survive in extreme conditions, even in space. I would say that maybe the aliens on Lv 4-26 couldn't or didn't need to, but the aliens in Resurrection could, because well they had so much more human DNA running through them. It could also be that the alien’s normal core body temperate is so low that they naturally produce condensation and a mist from they’re mouths and bodies, that would explain that ‘wet‘ look they always have. And it would also explain why they enjoy warmer environments rather than cold.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 14 years ago

I preffer to assume that they don't breathe, that the Queen in Aliens survived in space and was still alive there in orbit, waiting to grab onto something and get into a ship, spredding terror once more. But one thing i'm sure of is i hope "Alien 0" doesn't show us how they function...

predatoress, Yautja, 14 years ago

I've always thought that the tubes on their backs has something to do with gas exchange by the acidic "blood" circulation in them. Otherwise they seem rather pointless of sticking out there...

predator428, Yautja, 14 years ago

What leads you to believe that the alien queen survived Aliens, DW?

Pure fandom. It's just what i'd like to think happened. I just like to think that xenomorphs don't function as we do and don't have our usual vital needs, like eating or breathing. I like to think that their bodies have a paradoxal way of producing their own energy.

The tubes on the Alien's back are vestigial, only there to keep balance for the upright standing variants, possibly due to their large craniums, Dragon didn't need these because he ran on all fours, therefore his center of gravity was equal due to his quadruped stance.

Leandros88, Yautja, 14 years ago

no all life forms need either oxygen or carbon dioxide, even if they made their own energy some how( a form of photosynthesis perhaps) but even if they do they need either oxygen or carbon dioxide to break down that energy for the nutrients and the pure energy to be able to move their muscles. so they need oxygen or carbon dioxide.

but all know that they don't really need anything to survive because the creator/director/producer only needed something to be in their movie, that's it. but we can take the time to fill in the gaps the creator left. either way whether they need oxygen or not has no answer, it's what we decide, if we want them to breathe then they breathe.

Only carbon based life forms need oxygen and carbon, because fire is the energy released by the combination of two atoms of oxygen and one atom of carbon, bla bla bla. There are other energies that can be harvested. And anyway i said "paradoxal" as in perpetual motion.

I also remember Ash in Alien saying that it was 'shedding' it cells and replacing them with silicon, making it a 'tought sonuvabitch', so I'd say Aliens are probably Silicon/Carbon hybrids.

Well here's a little copypasta from wikipedia herself.

"It has been suggested that silicone-based chemicals would be more stable than equivalent hydrocarbons in a sulfuric-acid-rich environment, as is found in some extraterrestrial locations."

Sounds pretty convenient, eh?

The other type of biochemestry proposed listed in this article is nitrogen and phosphorus. We know predators breathe nitrogen, right? And that their blood is pretty phosphorescent...

thelifecycle, Yautja, 14 years ago

I like to think the beathing makes them stronger or to regulat their blood or somethin i'm too lazy to look at wikipedia or may be it's something like a trait from their hosts doin nothing like a human little toe

What would wikipedia tell you about Alien blood and their breathing?

predatoress, Yautja, 14 years ago

Rule no 1 you learn at uni: never use wikipedia as source, except for the possible referred articles (if they are believable) lol Just had to say that.

Places like the Urban Dictionary and Encyclopedia Dramatica (or Uncyclopedia for you lame people who don't know what the former is) are great places to find hard facts.

Wikipedia, not so much. Then again, Wikipedia (as a thinking entity itself) is new to the internet.

I can't believe you did that, there are people here who didn't know about ED, and it should have stayed that way. Do NOT direct young people to ED unless you are completely evil, because you know it won't be good for anyone, the lulz will be drowned by the cancer in such cases.

And unlike Uncyclopedia, which is built completely out of sarcasm and grues, ED actually contains lots of facts.

I doubt any of them treat the exact subject of Alien breathing though.

I guess you're right. This place isn't ready just yet. But when it is, holy shit.

xeno_95, Yautja, 14 years ago

I always though they can breathe anything, since in Ressurection they could snarl and swim with their mouths open, and in the first one the facehugger adapted from the non-oxygen atmosphere to the inside of the ship quickly.