New Predator Movie

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 3 months ago

Anyway it looks like complete trash thanks for listening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0b7On_zVZA

Peterson, Xenomorph, 3 months ago

ye ye!

Gaunt, Xenomorph, 2 months ago

The sad thing is, it doesn't even look good enough to fall into the 'B-movie Bin'. Feels like I watched trailers for an already doomed production. Shame :(

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 1 month ago

I just watched it, it was not as bad as The Predator, about as bad as AvP:R. The actual predator in this movie was mentally not all there.

Gaunt, Xenomorph, 1 month ago

I've been hearing that it's not as bad as it looked. It's on my list, so I'll watch it at some point in the week.
Mentally unsound Predator, you say? ( ͝סּ ͜ʖ͡סּ)

So, having now seen the film, I see what you mean in comparing it (in quality) to AvP:R.

In my personal opinion, it's not terrible, but it's also not blockbuster of the year either (though, the high ratings people are giving it say it's done well enough). It was a pretty simple film, story-wise, bit slow to start off, but all-in-all, a good enough creature feature/monster flick that you enjoy the Predator's screen time.

The Predator in the film is quite off, mentally, considering its actions, but I did enjoy seeing it employ all kinds of new weapons & gadgets, as well as a few well known ones. I guess it was supposed to represent a fresh, blood-hungry hunter, based on it's behaviour & gear.

3.5/5 stars from me. Lots of room for improvement, but it certainly did give it a good go.

Yea, I liked most of the weapons, except for the weird triple bomb wrist time thing that was completely stupid and made no sense.

My headcanon for why the Predator is a complete moron is that he's the rich kid equivalent of Predator society, he just bought a cool looking, expensive, skull themed Alienware hunting kit and then went amateur hunting without proper training or reading all the instructions for his weapons and armour, thinking it would be all fun and games with minimal challenge. Explains why he thought a snake was worth killing, or a small wolf, which also fucking bit him, and why he was completely incompetent. Also, for some reason, he was deep fried and crunchy.

I would rate it 5/10.

Please note that in my rating system 7 means average.

That head-cannon is honestly quite entertaining ( ̄∇ ̄)

It was like watching an almost teenage like version of a Predator, skulking around, killing virtually anything that moved.

It observed the circle of life with some form of curiosity, as it watched a mouse eat a bug, for that mouse to get bitten & killed by a snake, for it to then gut the snake. Similarly, with the wolf, it showed a brutish force, almost as to establish it was the real threat in the World, a mannerism it'd continue to exert, like a frat bro straight out of the gym with a beer keg over his shoulder.

Ignorantly confident, in a way. Also, clearly had been tanning too long.

Your rating's pretty fair, as Predator films go, I'd rank it above Predators & The Predator, but no higher. It's a weak contender, but not the worst, IMO.

My standards over the years have changed, I'm still not sure why I used to rank AvP1 lower than AvP:R. I guess I just got more interested in characters and writing making sense rather than things looking cool overall.

But The Predator is, by far, the worst film I've ever seen lmao. It's a 0/10. You can tell, when it comes to Prey, that some effort was made, there were some good intentions there, but the resources (including attention span and talent) were limited. You can see how it could have been a good movie, it LOOKED good in many scenes, so cinematography was done. But for The Predator, there's no effort, no thought process, no nothing. It's the film equivalent of watching Terrence Howard give a lecture oh physics. I'm reluctant to even call it a movie.

Yeah, our standards on what's good & what isn't, change quite a lot (with age ( ˃̣̣̥‸˂̣̣̥๑) )

I've always been fussed with the writing of the story. If the characters do something nonsensical or pants on head retarded, it generally just kills the show for me.

Prey definitely had effort put into it. To it's merit, it didn't over-complicate the story, it had a basic premise of what it wanted to do, & went with it. Almost everything done made sense & fit to the narrative, barring the protagonists Mother learning her Son is dead, despite no-one beyond the Protagonist being left alive to report this in (I couldn't understand what a random extra was showing up to deliver the news, when there were literally no witnesses to the death left alive).

AvP:R did one thing well for me, in that it ran a story with both a competent PredAlien & Wolf. Both characters were shown to be just as dangerous as each other, & it led to a very satisfying showdown (though admittedly, there was no other climax to look forward to, couldn't care less about the human population in an AVP film).

The Predator could've been so much more, but yes, it just went off on random tangents, even trying to canonically change the Predator's entire motivation for hunting other species, for no good reason. It's a shame that the film with so much potential, became an unserviceable B-movie (though I'm generous in calling it that, currently you can't even find it in the Predator Collection on Disney +, which implies it's unloved, & for good reason).

I couldn't understand why the tribe was proud of her returning with some weird head covered in shiny green goo when nobody know what had gone down, especially since a bunch of their sons/hunters were fucking dead now.

Also I assume you didn't watch the drawings in the credits (I didn't either, just skipped through them) but they ended with the scene of her and the tribe standing with the predator's head at their feet and 3 ships descending from the clouds as they looked on.

The tribe had zero context for what had happened outside of their field of vision, not like anyone survived, besides the protagonist, to report back to them.

Yes, you'd think they'd be far more confused & shocked, to see this weird, alien head, being carried back by a person none of them regarded as a hunter or capable killer.

Funnily enough, I did watch through the credits to see if anything was snuck in. All I can say is, that particular tribe would've been fucked royally by three ships. Not sure how they'd even design a sequel to Prey, if they tried.

I don't think the implication was that the ships were going to attack them, but that they were going to acknowledge the kill like at the end of Predator 2 and maybe trade something for the pistol, idk. Otherwise we know the pistol is held by the preds in Predator 2 which would mean the tribe got slaughtered.

Gaunt, Xenomorph, 3 weeks ago

Yeah, the pistol.

Seems the comic that explained its origin may have been retconned by Prey, as the character Naru got it from was supposed to be Raphael Adolini, which I believe was the original name of the same pirate, who owned the very same pistol.

In a sense, the pistols has been devalued, for now. It's not currently a momento of honour, as it was in the original comic. It's a stolen/gifted weapon that's been used a couple of times, but has no real significance.

Considering the Predator in Prey adhered to the honour code of not killing the unarmed (loosely), we can assume the Predators on the ships would also be heavily honour bound. They'd likely be turning up to destroy/collect all evidence of their species & technology. As for the pistol getting into their hands, I assume either through a scuffle with Naru, or a trade of some kind.

We can only guess, on something that may never be revealed.