Argonian, Yautja, 9 years ago

I... I am speechless.

No comments.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 9 years ago

@DW: You shut your whore mouth. Those genetically modified pineapples were dead when I found them. I am the best people along with Sadowhale, I don't think I need to tell you! Fucking heathens. I'd insult the other spheres if I had the chance, but the pills are kicking in.

A HORSE IS A HORSE OF COURSE OF COURSE.

(Now might be a good time to tell some of you new guys that we don't really discuss AVP very often here. If that sounds OK to you, grab some 3D glasses, cuz shit bout to get cray cray up in here.)

DeathWraith, Yautja, 9 years ago

I WILL NEVER SHUT MY WHORE MOUTH! I WILL OPEN IT AND I WILL INGEST ALL OF THE THINGS!

Speaking of which, I watched Godzilla last night and thought it was shit and now my video card broke. Coincidence?

badapple24, Yautja, 9 years ago

@DW: Ha, yeah really

@DD: I thought this was an AVP Related forum.....

^ It is nominally an AVP forum, but... Y'know.

@DW:

"watched Godzilla"

YES.

"thought it was shit"

NO.

"now my video card broke."

A FITTING PUNISHMENT FOR YOUR BLASPHEMY.

MOVIE GOOD. MUCH SMASH. ALSO MAN NOT DO TO MONSTER. BIG LIZARD MAKE BOOM. GOOD. GOOD FOR SOUL. LIZARD!

Yeah but if you removed the entire plot and just and the scenes with the monsters, the movie would have made just as much sense. Everything bit of movie involving humans was completely disposable.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 9 years ago

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

But nah, I can see why people wouldn't like it. I think Pacific Rim did more exciting Kaiju fights, which is bad because PR is a love letter and Godzilla is the recipient.

But I loved Godzilla '14 because I've been a fan since before I could talk. I just saw it a few days ago and I had the biggest smile in the world when he used the atomic breath for the first time in 10 years.

I think the irrelevance of humanity was kind of the point, though. The monsters are treated as walking natural disasters and the human characters are just reacting to them. All you can do is try to survive and hope for the best.

What's telling for me is that Godzilla's origin has been changed from "awoken/mutated by nuclear testing" to "woken up by yummy food source and the nuclear testing was an UNSUCCESSFUL attempt to kill it." Godzilla isn't a mutated dinosaur or prehistoric beast awakened by nukes or a divine punishment for WWII or any of that. Godzilla just happened to wake up because he smelled a food source, which the tiny little things running around (ie:us) just happen to be using as a fuel source.

It makes the bomb not a big deal, basically. Not in terms of human history (OBVIOUSLY it's a big deal in that context), but in terms of the history of the planet. No, small fleshy things, you will not destroy the world with your silly little bombs. You might destroy yourselves, you might wipe out 99% of all life and render the Earth uninhabitable for millions of years... But there are things that will thrive in that environment.

Most of the Japanese Godzilla movies implied Godzilla was some sort of penance, or gave him a motivation like "he's angry at mankind for burning the Earth." They tried to justify his presence, basically. Here? Godzilla pre-dates the fucking dinosaurs (let alone humanity) and his conflict with the other monsters has nothing to do with humans. Yes, humans woke the MUTOs up, but that would have eventually happened anyway, once the planet got radioactive enough again.

To put it simply, it erases all human agency from the equation. In the face of cosmic forces, we're kind of irrelevant. BUUUUUUUUT.... We've got each other. That sounds corny, but it's true. That's why the emphasis on family is so overblown in that movie: Yes, there's no point to any of this, and nature is bigger than any of us and the sun could explode tomorrow for no reason and the entire universe will one day just collapse into itself and OH MY GOD IT'S ALL FOR NOTHING-But god damn it, we've got each other. We're on this fucked up rock, but we're here together.

Pretty humanistic for a movie that says we're irrelevant.

EDIT: Also, I loved for how un-jingoistic it was. Name me one other movie where the American military is as absolutely irrelevant as they are int his film. They cause as many dangers as they resolve, and their stupid plans put a fucking NUKE into play in a populated area. The most they accomplish is getting wiped out to a man in the process of getting the nuke they put into play away from San Fransisco (which has already been leveled by the giant monsters they failed to stop), which they only accomplish because Godzilla saves Ford's ass.

Hell, name another blockbuster sci-fi movie that demonizes nuclear bombs as much as this one does. There's a lot going on here, and when you add how ASTOUNDINGLY restrained it was (I couldn't believe how long it was before there was a monster battle), well, you've got an uncommonly good Summer action movie.

and also godzila shot beam at teh other monster an it was sum tight shit bro holy fuck that scene gave me a boner.

Yeah I still think it was a stupid movie and that the irrelevance of humanity in it was unintentional i.e. bad writing. I just can't believe that someone thought "98% of the movie is completely irrelevant to the plot? Holy shit that's genius!" Even The Room had more relevant subplots.

I mean the guy arguably saves the kid. Why the fuck was that there?

And then they move that nuke around and the thing eats it because I guess it can smell radiation even when it's so weak that the people handling it don't need any kind of protective suits. And then they have to no longer detonate it, because they suddenly realized that, for some reason, people decided to stop on the bridge. Good thing the guy with the stupid voice is there to do nothing about it. Also remember his wife? Yeah. That's because she's an Olsen. Otherwise you wouldn't have remembered her because she's completely irrelevant and could have just not been in the movie at all. His son, too. Also the rest of the characters. Except for Godzilla and the mewtwos of course. Who were really slow moving, because as we know big things move slowly.

Not only was the human plot irrelevant to Godzilla, but the Godzilla plot was irrelevant to humanity. It's like when you have a dog and the dog wants to eat and you're standing between your dog and its food, holding a bunch of plates. And the dog goes through you and you drop the plates. It's mildly inconveniencing and you give the dog a bad look and the dog looks at you like why are you looking at me like that. And then the dog leaves and you buy new plates.

Damn... damn. My opinion falls somewhere between you both, so instead of rephrasing what you both just said into a bigass column with no new information, I'm just gonna talk about the atomic breath - I actually think it was cooler in FW, but I guess that whole movie just had more of a "THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME" vibe than G2014 did (not that '14 wasn't awesome, but FW had him using his goddamn Rage Attack, which I can only hope will ever happen in a new Godzilla movie).

@DD: "Godzilla isn't a mutated dinosaur"

As ridiculous as it was, I'll always have a special place in my heart for the Godzillasaurus, that adorable fat bastard.

Those cutesy-Ghidra-baby-bat-things can go fuck themselves, though.

@DW: WELL YOU THROW LIKE A GIRL.

@Bloo: I still can't believe how amazingly that movie fucked up the 90's continuity when they were only three films in.

Argonian, Yautja, 9 years ago

@DD: XD Sorry, I couldn't think on something smarter to say. But, I don't mind things going crazy. I just won't take comments as seriously.

And about the new movie, I really enjoyed the new one. As a kid, I remember I really liked to see the old one, except the part where Godzilla died. I never saw the originals, though. I think I only saw the one where the Mechagodzilla appeared.

Besides that, I've never seen how Godzilla truly was. However, I must saw that I really enjoyed watching the new movie that came out. I enjoyed so much that I almost pee myself in my cinema seat, because I didn't wanted to go the bathroom. For the record, I did managed to go to the bathroom after the movie ended.

And the thing about the humans, I really did not mind, but I must agree that Gozdilla and the MUTOs should had more screen time. I guess that the reason that humans appear is to try to make the people who are watching the movie relate more easily to Godzilla, I think. Kinda like the Transformers movies.

And talking about Godzilla, I remember I once saw a video about Godzilla kicking the 1998 Godzilla's ass, that was made as a parody. Did any of you guys saw it?

tawganator, Yautja, 9 years ago

I love Godzilla 2014 and pretty much all of the old movies too.

Even this little guy
baby-g.jpg

@DD: YEAH........ .. that's probably why they just didn't give a fuck about continuity when the Millennium era rolled around.

Millennium used to be my favorite era because of Kiiryu, but '90s had Destroyah and Space Godzilla, so I JUST DON'T KNOW.

I don't remember much of the Showa/Hesei, except Megalon and the fucked up Mechagodzilla I thing.

@Tawg: THAT'S THE!!!! FUCK HIM

Don't you just love the Mothra song or Mothra's prayer I think it's called. I could listen to that for hours.

concretehunter, Yautja, 9 years ago

Hey i don't mean to shill out or anything, But i just realised that I had ad-block on. I hope you guys do too, Keeps this thing running.

Edit: Had ad-block on AND TURNED IT OFF FOR AVPU. **

New song for you, Bloo.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that i fucked that up and linked the teaser instead of the full thing, fixed now.

@BLOO: Showa wins because it had Jet Jaguar.

http://youtu.be/Jmoa13TG2TY

@DW: Oh dang, this one's nice. The video's kinda weird, but I'm not complaining.

@DD: SHIT, how could I forget Jet Jaguar?

@Tawg: The singers sound like they did the Sailor Moon theme.