-Bloo-, Yautja, 9 years ago

It's not just about being 100% faithful to the source, though - from what I can tell (I've never seen them), there's just too much nothing going on, which makes for extremely terrible pacing... and that's a shit lot to ask of your audience to sit through, especially since they're, like, 3 hours each.

Not that you shouldn't like what you like (I just mentioned I liked parts of the Twilight movies), but not being faithful to the source isn't always the problem.

Edit: I think the Bourne Ultimatum had nothing to do with the book (I haven't read that either), but it was still one of the better movies I've ever seen.

tawganator, Yautja, 9 years ago

I think that the problem is that most people (I'm not saying any of you (because if I did you would just deny and try to make yourself look deeper like the big phonies you really are)) just want it to be all wizards and monsters and dragons and massive epic battles between good and evil. Slow doesn't necessarily mean bad (what I think and would never say "Stop complaining and enjoy the movie you ungrateful little shits!"). It is true that you can't please everyone but it is equally true that perfection is a myth ("Think you can do better? Then get off your sorry arse and fucking do it!") and once you accept this then you can achieve peace with the movie. It's okay to be disappointed but hate is a bit much don't you think? (Unless it completely failed as a movie and was complete crap and had a total bullshit ending.)

skull_ripper, Yautja, 9 years ago

I read the Lotr trilogy, Concrete, I understand how much was cut from the movies and understand how wonderful they were anyway. I have a list as long as my arm of things I don't like in the hobbit, but fucking up the most iconic battle just set me off. I agree they used way too much CGI, I realize a lot of it was poorly written, I realize it is completely lacking the subtleties of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I choose to still like the movies because of the good parts, as few and far between as they may be. I like the book "The Hobbit" better than the films, and I like "The Lord of the Rings trilogy" of books better than the trilogy of films.

Also I am tired of you jumping my case every time I express my opinion, so go ahead and be insulted because I've stopped caring honestly. This something like the fifth time you've done bitched me out, after claiming this is the one site on the whole of the internet that is nice, a real community that's like a family. This is the constant shit we all have to deal with on those "other sites".

Now excuse me while I go and watch the first two Hobbit films and thoroughly enjoy myself, because even if they aren't the best movies(and I've seen far worse) I still like them.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be faithful to the book when making a book movie. I mean in a lot of cases it's impossible to stay faithful even to the script. Scenes will have to be cut out, scenes will be modified, actors will improvise etc. But, for example, Interview With The Vampire is both a great book and a great movie, even though the movie is not 100% faithful to the book. There are things that work in books but don't work in movies.

Anyway, episode 5 and Tokyo Ghoul is getting OK-ish.

@SR: I'm like that, too. I like enjoying things despite how bad (or not good) they probably are. And I think that's perfectly fine. Just don't defend a movie's flaws (and you said you acknowledge those flaws, so at least you're not pretending they don't exist).

On the flip side, everyone's allowed to dislike shit as long as they don't try convincing everyone that they should hate shit, too. Don't stop liking what you like. Unless you like jacking off to silverback gorillas. Stop that.

@Tawg: "Slow doesn't necessarily mean bad" is something I actually agree with. Like, Alien has slow pacing (especially compared to Aliens), but it's an example of slow pacing that works (because none of it felt like filler). I also agree with everything else you said, but I feel like the "slow isn't bad" comment in particular was directed at what I said about bad pacing, so I wanted to clear that up that I don't think slow pacing is bad pacing.

@DW: YEAH, BACK TO ANIME.

So, I still haven't seen Tokyo Ghoul... I'm more interested in Terror in Tokyo, 'cause the director of Cowboy Bebop is doing that one.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 9 years ago

@Concrete: Gona have to be tomorrow night, man I didn't sleep at all last night, and it's literally just the caffine that's keeping me awake now

concretehunter, Yautja, 9 years ago

@Twag: Slow doesn't mean bad, The Empire Strikes back was slow.

I just realised this entire argument is the same argument about the original star wars trilogy vs the new shit 3. Something something CGI, Something something bad acting.

@SR: To be honest i feel like one of those neckbeards with a shirt saying "I'm an Atheist, Debate me!". So I apologise for coming across as if I'm having a dig at you or as if i don't like you, I love you dude.

But the hobbit sucked.

It sucked dick at sucking dick.

Dronehive, Yautja, 9 years ago

I agree

still gotta watch them tho

@Concrete: I appreciate that man, and I apologize for yelling at you. Love you bro, and I realize the hobbit isn't very good, but neither were a lot of other movies I love. It is usually the monsters that make me love a crappy movie, and I have always loved me some Orcs. Though I was still sad about CGI Bolg, practical costume Bolg was so much cooler.

@Bloo: I don't jack off to silver back gorillas, plenty o' fictional sapient species with such qualities to jack off to if I so desired.

It's such a weird fetish to have, but I feel that, man.

Edit: I feel like I need to clarify: I'm NOT talking about silver back gorillas.

I thought you were feeling that "man", silver back gorillas are such snobs they probably wouldn't have you anyway. Not enough hair down below for their taste.

tawganator, Yautja, 9 years ago

gorilla2.jpg

I went to a zoo recently and all the gorillas ignored me, especially the silverback.

Fuck gorillas.

All the monkeys were way too eager to show me their penises, though.

badapple24, Yautja, 9 years ago

WHY THE FUCK DO I COME BACK DURING THESE CONVERSATIONS!

Because you leave.

Last time I went to the zoo, they were remodeling the Gorilla exibit. I was sad because that is why I wanted to go to the zoo. Sadly that was the last time I went to the zoo, and I was eleven then I think.

Honestly dude, I wouldn't be surprised if a gorilla just showed up at your house.

I'm gonna knock on wood just in case.

Wait, who's wood are you knocking on?

WAIT

I CAN'T MAKE ANY DICK JOKES IN OFF-TOPIC THREAD 16 BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE ON-TOPIC.........

No, that was the last one, this one's about fucking.