I have just read the first issue of "Archie vs. Predator..."

Deathdrop, Yautja, 8 years ago

... And I'm still not sure if this comic actually exists, or if I just hallucinated the whole thing. AVP (heh) is, without a doubt, the strangest Predator story I've ever read, and that's the thing-it IS a predator story. Much in the same way that the original Predator movie felt like an alien monster invading and derailing a standard 80's action movie, this feels like a Predator invading and derailing a nice, wholesome, comedic good time with Archie and the gang.

It kills two people. I'm serious. The two snooty rich kids who make fun of Archie and the gang for going to public school? The predator fucking kills them. You don't even see it happen, just see the gory aftermath via their mutilated corpses hanging from a tree.

Now, in a normal Predator story, this would be no big deal; almost run-of-the-mill, in fact. But here? In an Archie comic, with retro cartoony, 50's-style art? Where the characters are whacky teenagers who wouldn't even think to swear, let alone battle an alien hunter? The contrast is jarring enough to give you whiplash.

Oh, and the Predator is a teenager and has the hots for Betty. Did I mention that little detail? You'd think it would be played for laughs, but... like... The Pred itself is played completely straight. This hideous, murderous extraterrestrial monster wants to get between Betty's legs, and he's gonna slaughter all of Riverdale to do it.

I don't even understand where they can possibly go from here. If they were going by the rules of the Archie universe, they could do some whacky and the Predatoe would leave in a huff, but they're not, so... I mean, I guess Archie is gonna have to kill the thing? Which, clearly, they're not gonna do, soooooo maybe this is it for Riverdale?

Christ. What a weird comic.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 8 years ago

I guess I'm gonna read a comic book.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 8 years ago

I bet Zack Snyder's dick is getting hard at the thought of giving this a gritty reboot.

Edit: what the fuck

ARCHMPR-1-PG-16-bcaf2.jpg

http://imgur.com/0wsJHwI

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN THIS COMIC.

EDIT: THAT'S SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH WHAT THE FUCK YOU GUYS. THE PREDATOR JUST KILLED SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH.

krio, Yautja, 8 years ago

WT MOTHERFUCKING F is going in in this fucking comic....?

Its weird; I can read a normal Predator comic filled to the brim with decapitations and disembowelments without a second glance, yet the tame (by comparison, anyway) violence in this seems a thousand times worse because it's happening to Archie and the gang, in the universe of Archie and the gang, IN THE ART STYLE of Archie.

It's like if they did a Scrooge McDuck comic where Huey, Dewey and Louie got torn apart on-panel by a Xeno in full graphic detail... Yet in the same cartoony, happy-go-lucky style.

I feel vaguely dirty after reading this, is what I'm saying. It seems... I dunno, mean-spirited?

skull_ripper, Yautja, 8 years ago

I have a feeling it doesn't end well for that cat....

krio, Yautja, 8 years ago

Lol. It's true, though, it feels weirder, and just not right.

Argonian, Yautja, 8 years ago

God. That cannot be unseen.

I am fan of the Archie cartoon, and... WHO CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA?

SERIOUSLY?!

LIKE, LIKE, THEY CAN'T EVEN DEFEND THEMSELVES.

badapple24, Yautja, 8 years ago

Sure they can, I mean Richie Rich has money, buy a minigun and shred the mofucker

Argonian, Yautja, 8 years ago

Well... you got a point.

However, this Predator seems to be killing people whom he thinks are wielding weapons. Like he killed Pop. When he was cutting a cake...

I can understand how the Predator from Predator 2 killed the civilians on the subway when he was on the hunt, because they had firearms.

But this seems excesive, don't you think?

Perhaps I'm getting maybe too soft on Predators as a species, but... that's only my two cents.