Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 - Thoughts?

daveberg, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Seeing as it's greenlit now, with Sigourney officially back as Ripley, Michael Biehn more than happy to jump on board and a petition to get Lance Henrikson back as Bishop - Alien 5 is fast taking shape, with pre-production starting as early as next week.

As this film is a direct sequel to Cameron's 1986 'Aliens' what are you guys expecting to see? Interested to see where Blomkamp is going to take this.......

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I'm cautiously optimistic. The concept art looked interesting as hell, and ignoring the latter two Alien sequels is probably for the best. Although splitting the timelines is gonna make sorting out the canon even more of a pain in the ass...

I have to admit I'm not as big a fan of Bloomkamp as a lot of people-I thought District 9 was interesting until the halfway point, and I was thoroughly disappointed by Elysium. I haven't seen Chappie yet, so maybe that'll change my mind. It could be that working on such a huge project will make him step up a bit story-wise. The guy has great ideas, and can direct the hell out of a sci-fi movie, but I just hope he can work the story kinks out.

Did anyone see that Mark Kermode video where he talked about the original plan for Alien 3? I'm in agreement with him; THAT would be something to see.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I'm cautiously pessimistic. The concept art looked interesting as hell, but ignoring the latter two Alien sequels is bullshit. Splitting the timelines is gonna make sorting out the canon even more of a pain in the ass...

I have to admit I'm not as big a fan of Bloomkamp as a lot of people-I thought District 9 was great, but I was thoroughly disappointed by Elysium. I haven't seen Chappie yet, but I doubt that'll change my mind. It could be that working on a long-dead franchise will make him get too liberal story-wise. The guy's ideas don't really seem to fit the Alien universe all that much.

I like Alien 3 as it is, I see no reason to replace it with anything else.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Alien 3 was a good movie, at least the assembly cut. And a very fitting end to a great trilogy.

Disregading it now and continuing the series in an "alternate timeline" with actors who are now 60+, i don't like this idea.

But i'll watch the movie anyway...

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I like the dude but like, honestly, I don't know how to take this news. I think he's better suited to something like Halo than Alien, but... fuck I dunno, I'm cautious. The concept art looked

@Mebber: "Why are you guys so old?" "Space Law"

Mebber, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

The sequel will probably be 20+ years after Aliens, thats my hope at least... it usually sucks if the filmmakers try to make actors look significantly younger than they actually are.

Maybe the Company will do something stupid again, and Ripley and Hicks will be forced out of retirement to fix it.

But i've read somewhere its supposed to be a prequel...

Yeah, this just seems like a gigantic mess to me. Like, it's giving me a Colonial Marines vibe. Do you think Hicks is gonna show up again?

I really don't wanna be pessimistic but whatever, I guess there's a better chance of this doing well than it not.

tawganator, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

whether it is gold or crap i don't care. it's been a long wait and i want my hit

daveberg, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Biehn has already been approached about the film. Nothing official yet but he said he's more than happy to come on board.

Shame it kind of blows Alien 3 out of the water in terms of canon, as that was a fitting end to Ripley's story, although the idea of revisiting the world created from the first two films has got me quite intrigued.

Further more, as Ridley Scott has his hand in this as Producer, I'm wondering just how much of the Prometheus Lore will find its way into this, if any?

The concept art has the Derelict in it, so I'd guess it would tie in pretty closely.

badapple24, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I'm cautious, but otherwise happy, to have a pure alien movie in my lifetime. I do hope they don't use to much CGI

To his (or rather, his effects team's) credit, Bloomkamp's movies tend to have really, really well-done CGI, so I'm not too worried about that.

FireHunter, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I loved District 9, I enjoyed Elysium and I have yet to see Chappie, so overall I'm pretty stoked that Blomkamp is directing it. ALTHOUGH, Bloo is right, a Halo film would suit him MUCH better (especially seeing as most of the Earth sequences of Halo are set in South Africa)

Still, I'm optimistic. He's working with a universe that isn't his own, so maybe his usual style won't dilute it too much and it'll be a fitting Alien film.

Another point I'd like to make, I liked the third movie and the fourth makes a good popcorn film. I think disregarding Alien 3 is a little harsh but I'm interested to see where it goes.

x-M-x, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

It's gonna be very interesting...to see where they end up in this movie.

Will it be set on earth? back to LV426? or new world?

Still im sure 'Neill' will sort it.

By the way, what do we think of Ripley's weird Xeno space suit? What's going on there?

That's part of what I don't think I'll like. That and the legless sucky thing, whatever that is.

x-M-x, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

That suit type thing.... I don't think its a suit i would say it's a part of 'metamorphosis' stage? they add it to you like a suit but due time.... you'll be a fully fledged XENOMORPH!!! lol

Well that's just much worse.

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Oh dear lord is that worse...

inb4resurrection2.0

Having just seen Chappie, I have one very, very simple request: Keep Die Antwoord as far away from this thing as possible. Holy balls were they annoying.

"metamorphosis" Wasn't that the name of an asshole that used to post here...

@DD: If that's the only big complaint you have toward Chappie, I might see it soon.