Each film in the Alien series is a different genre

Praetorian, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

A funny thought I saw on youtube:

"Each film in the Alien series is a different genre: Alien is horror, Aliens is action, Alien 3 is drama and Alien Resurrection is comedy."

The-Wolf, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I never thought of it tha way. That's very true actually.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

People joke about it, but I think I read somewhere that Joss Whedon intended the script for Rez to be tongue-in-cheek.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I seriously think Resurrection's characters weren't that bad. They deserved a better script and movie. Or maybe i should just watch Firefly.

^ You should just watch Firefly. I mean, I actually agree about Rez's characters, but still... Watch Firefly.

It's actually been on my hard drive for like, 4 years now. I just... I have a really bad habit of putting off watching shows I actually wanna watch. Just last Thursday I finally watched a small 12-episode thing that I'd been meaning to watch for 3 years.

It's only bad 'cause I've seen Resurrection 3 times and the entire Twilight saga once, which is way more times than anyone should ever watch those things.

badapple24, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I was unsure of Alien Rez, but i mean I watched it like 2 years ago... and it was alright... They coulda done way better with it, but it still wasn't terrible. I felt like it was all one very long play, with the different moods of every film. Almost like the movies were acts of one grand show. Kinda like LOTR however that was something that was three books turned into a movie series, whereas the alien was a painting representing rape created by H.R. Giger.

I feel like Resurrection was (or was trying to be) way more about creation of life and parenthood than the other movies, even Aliens. But Aliens did it better, because... Newborn........

Do you guys think this progression in genre shift was right, or should they have kept it strictly horror?

I still think Aliens is the overall best movie, but I can't help but think Alien is the best one just because it's the definitive Xeno experience. It's got the best Xeno and it's the one that covers the topic of rape the best, whereas Aliens' portrayal of the Xenos turns them into big space bugs, which doesn't sit right with me (even though I think the concept of a hive and Queen is cool).

Maybe keeping it horror would have made it stale. I think genre shifting is good, but the way it ended up is... not good. It turned out stale anyway.

I don't know, perhaps if they got Ridley Scotts collaboration on the last two movies they may have turned out alright...

@Bloo: I dunno... It didn't really work, but I'm glad it happened? I doubt four Alien-style horror movies would have worked, so I can appreciate the genre fucking.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

"Do you guys think this progression in genre shift was right, or should they have kept it strictly horror?"

I think its a really good thing. This way we have four unique and imo much more original movies instead of a simple series of succeeding horror flicks, where all differentiation might boil down to "Aw, 1 and 2 were so much more scarier than 3 and 4."

While some of the movies are superior in terms of overall quality, every movie kinda manages to work well on its own, and even adds something new and interesting to the franchise.

Ok, is it just me or was there just an explosion of old members that came back? WTF IS GOING ON HERE!

krio, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

"And so, familiar faces began roaming the forums..."

HOLY SHIT IT'S MEBBER YEAH!

Yeah, I generally agree. Part of what makes them so great is how different they feel from each other. People say that the quality dipped, and they're right-but that would have happened anyway. As it stands, even the bad ones are interestingly bad, whereas if they'd just been rehashes of Alien, they would have just become increasingly mediocre.