Engineers, blue or white?

skull_ripper, Yautja, 10 years ago

So I mentioned how the Engineers are an entire species of giant icy blue Vin Diesels as I am want to do, but then several people said they were white. When I linked several pictures from Prometheus showcasing the blue coloration they were all laughed off as "the lighting". Their example of them being white was the beginning scene where the one killed himself in his diaper, which had heavy cloud cover and made everything look very light gray.

So am I crazy and they are white in coloration, or are the Engineers extremely pale (icy)blue like I think they are?

(Trivial thread is trivial, I know :P )

Deathdrop, Yautja, 10 years ago

They're white... ish.

I dunno, it seemed like they were the exact knife-edge between icy blue and white/grey, but I think white makes more sense. Makes them look more like marble statues or something, which visually suggests age, wisdom, etc.

Well the Deacon came out blue, so that's part of why I thought the Engineers were too. I dunno.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 10 years ago

I think having them be pale/white/gray also gives the audience the feeling that there's something wrong with them, like they're ill, or something.

There's also the fact that they all look the same, but yeah.

tawganator, Yautja, 10 years ago

They clearly don't get out much and spend all their time in suites so they don't really need the pigment. They are white but they also have veins that are blue. Also the colour of the deacon is not a representation of the Jockeys colour as I'm sure that if one where to pop out of my white arse it would be the same colour as it is in the movie. Maybe even darker.

In the Deacon's case, I think that had a lot to do with lighting.

The shading of their skin doesn't really matter, though. It's a purely aesthetic choice probably meant to help differentiate between Xeno types, like how most Drones are stylized as green or red/orange while most Warriors are blue/gray.

I think their might be variants pigment-wise of the Engineers, as the Engineer seen at the beginning seemed very white, while the one we see more of at the end looked like his skin was so light blue it was almost white, but not quite. At least that's how it looked to me.

As for the Deacon, it was in its chestbuster stage when we saw it, so it may have taken on host pigmentation at this early stage before molting occurred and it matured. Since all the human spawned chestbusters start out with a light tan color in the films, could it be possible they would start out with host pigment since I don't think we've seen a chestbuster from a non-white individual before it had already matured into an adult Xenomorph in the movies(correct me if I'm wrong).

I think part of the reason I really want/wish/hope they are actually blue is because I am so tired of aliens just being white people with only minor differences physically(which isn't that much of a difference still). It is just so unimaginative it kills me on the inside.

Oh yeah, definitely. Something like different skin colors isn't a ridiculous idea.

But in this case, I think the "normal people... but IN SPACE!" trope fits the Engineers well. They're meant to be underwhelming to humans: They were hyped up as our God-like creators and we were so excited to meet them, but it turns out they're just big bald assholes that accidentally made us, or something. That kind of depressing outcome is fitting for the Alien universe.

SamFreeman, Yautja, 10 years ago

Blue

Deathdrop, Yautja, 10 years ago

^ Jesus Christ. Your website literally has the word "scam" in the title. At least pretend to LIKE ALL OF ALIEN PREDATOR WITH MOVIE AND ALSO FILMS OF GOOD ACTION WITH MOST EXCELLENT FORUM like a good bot.

Actually, don't. You're a lot easier to spot like this. Also, you're probably not an actual person, and you're probably not reading this, so who the hell am I talking to?

Shit. That's a really convincing argument, though. I like it. I like the sound of it, specifically the last word he used. It's a really nice word, and I bet anyone who happens to be called that word is a really cool guy.

^Definitely. For sure. Absolutely.