concretehunter, Yautja, 9 years ago

So before we begin i highly sugest people go to page 71 of this thread, press CTRL + F and type feminism. You should then scroll down to my post and find that i didn't mention or use the word once.

@Bloo

That's because our society think a women's place is at home." With the children. Not doing a "real job."

Sure, I mean kids aren't a legit thing right? You're implying that raising a child isn't important, You're implying that children are worth less than a "real job". The sentiment is sickening. I know countless fathers who would rather be at home raising there children than working a job.

What i ment with my point is that courts are more likely to give custody to the mother, Which is crushing for men. I mean he's a man, He doesn't love his kids. But oh no, The woman gets custody of her own flesh and blood. How opressive.
------------------------------------
Because of the sentiment that "women can't rape" and "guys can't get raped, lmao!!!!!!"

I think this is a male rights issue. Infact i dont know why this was even raised. The point still stands and isn't funny or right.
BECAUSE SOCIETY VIEWS WOMEN AS WEAK HOW DOES NO ONE GET THAT THIS ISN'T A BENEFIT

Woman stabs man and isn't arrested

Man being a woman in that situation sure sounds unfair and opressive.
"Don't teach my child about road safety, teach cars to not hit kids!"

THAT'S COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT AND YOU KNOW IT. A CAR CRASH CAN BE A COMPLETE ACCIDENT EVEN WITH A GOOD DRIVER, BUT YOU CAN'T HOLD DOWN A FUCKING PERSON AND RAM YOUR FUCKING GENITALS INTO THEIR CROTCH FOR AN HOUR "ACCIDENTALLY." IMAGINE PULLING THAT DEFENSE IN COURT. "uhhhHHH,, your honor, I raped that person, sure, but get this....... i,,,, , did it..... accidentally!....!"

See this is where i stopped taking your post seriously, You straw manned my argument. What my argument was saying was that there is some prevention involved. I'm not saying in every case, Or even the majority.
Angry anrgy bloo stuff which would make my post way too long but was about me talking about feminism

I never mentioned feminism. I was talking only about rights.
What the FUCK world are you in where there's equality?

Where in my post did i say there was equality? Why do you keep misrepresenting my argument and flat out making things up?

I thought we were better than this guys, I honestly did.

Edit: Now hold the fuck up, Where in your post do you actually show me that MEN have more rights? You denounced my claim and go on some rant about feminism and rape rather than my claim about rights.

badapple24, Yautja, 9 years ago

*Hides in corner* Why are we fighting

Deathdrop, Yautja, 9 years ago

Mostly for the eventual make-up sex.

DD I SAW YOU ONLINE NOW GET BACK

Edit: For you guys who dont use skype, being set to do not disturb just turns off the annoying noise. I still wanna talk!

Edit edit: I dont think I've had a block of text make me feel physically sick for a while.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 9 years ago

I started it, so I'll take the blame for the argument that's happening right now.

"You should then scroll down to my post and find that i didn't mention or use the word once."

I know you didn't. I brought it up because of what you said about men not having rights. (more on this later)

"Sure, I mean kids aren't a legit thing right? You're implying that raising a child isn't important, You're implying that children are worth less than a "real job". The sentiment is sickening. I know countless fathers who would rather be at home raising there children than working a job."

Dude, it's not ME that considers a stay-at home life bad, it's society in general. I was just telling you what a majority of our society thinks of stay-at-home parents. I hate it as much as you or the next person.

"What i ment with my point is that courts are more likely to give custody to the mother, Which is crushing for men. I mean he's a man, He doesn't love his kids. But oh no, The woman gets custody of her own flesh and blood. How opressive."

That's why I mentioned feminism, because women are trying to give men those rights. They're very aware that there's a double-standard. They're very aware they have the advantage in this situation, and I'm trying to tell you that it's feminists (who are mostly women) that are trying to fix it. Again, THAT'S why feminism came up at all.

(Me: Because of the sentiment that...) "I think this is a male rights issue. Infact i dont know why this was even raised. The point still stands and isn't funny or right."

Again, you misunderstand. It isn't ME that holds this opinion - I'm quoting (and mocking) people that do. (I know the "lmao" part overdid it, but I was angry. It's not an excuse, just a reason.)

"Woman stabs man and isn't arrested

Man being a woman in that situation sure sounds unfair and opressive."

Look dude, I agree that this is fucked up. I never said women should keep this advantage, either.
I COULD say, "Being a women in every other situation IS unfair," but that's not getting me anywhere.

"See this is where i stopped taking your post seriously, You straw manned my argument. What my argument was saying was that there is some prevention involved. I'm not saying in every case, Or even the majority."

I admit, it wasn't the best way to counter your argument. Really, I do agree that this is the real world and not everyone's going to be a good person, so women SHOULD take preventative measures, but I'm just saying, why the fuck can't we also start telling people not to rape? If women take preventative measures, why can't men be taught to prevent the shit that requires those preventative measures? Because it's unrealistic, or what?

"I never mentioned feminism. I was talking only about rights."

Again, I know you didn't mention feminism, I mentioned it to tell you that women are trying to get men these rights. It's slightly unrelated (slightly), but it lets you know that women care about the situations in which men are at a disadvantage. Most men, on the other hand, can only think of "Not all men!" when it comes to dealing with women that are at a disadvantage.

"Where in my post did i say there was equality? Why do you keep misrepresenting my argument and flat out making things up?"

"I think we already have equal rights between men and women" - Page 71, 2nd to last paragraph

And I'm very aware that that's not rest of the sentence (which was "If anything we need men to have more rights in terms of child custody and prison terms"), but even WITH that little tidbit, that doesn't prove that men have less in society than women. It means they have less in that particular category.

I do think it needs to be fixed just as much as you.

"Now hold the fuck up, Where in your post do you actually show me that MEN have more rights? You denounced my claim and go on some rant about feminism and rape rather than my claim about rights."

When I say "more rights," I mostly mean how society views men versus women. As for legal rights, I admit I don't know off the top of my head every single thing a man has over a women, or women over men. But even IF women and men suddenly got the same exact legal rights today, their status in society would still be drastically different.

tawganator, Yautja, 9 years ago

To be honest I'm not even reading the posts. If it's more than 3 paragraphs long I tend to just skim it. If it's 1 page long then you've lost me. So naturally with all these very long posts all of which seems to be about the same topic I've been trying to change the subject, unsuccessfully so far so I figured I would do it the long way.

BE THE BEE

Proponents of intelligent design, which holds that a supreme being rather than evolution is responsible for life's complexities, have long criticized science for not being able to explain some natural phenomena, such as how bees fly.

Now scientists have put this perplexing mystery to rest.

Using a combination of high-speed digital photography and a robotic model of a bee wing, the researchers figured out the flight mechanisms of honeybees.

"For many years, people tried to understand animal flight using the aerodynamics of airplanes and helicopters," said Douglas Altshuler, a researcher at California Institute of Technology. "In the last 10 years, flight biologists have gained a remarkable amount of understanding by shifting to experiments with robots that are capable of flapping wings with the same freedom as the animals."

Exotic flight

The scientists analyzed pictures from hours of filming bees and mimicked the movements using robots with sensors for measuring forces.

Still frames from the bee movie.
Credit: Douglas Altshuler and Jason Vance
A movie of a bee in flight, filmed at 6,000 frames per second by Douglas Altshuler and Jason Vance, is here [the link is temporary].

See Also:
Flight of the Fly
Turns out bee flight mechanisms are more exotic than thought.

"The honeybees have a rapid wing beat," Altshuler told LiveScience. "In contrast to the fruit fly that has one eightieth the body size and flaps its wings 200 times each second, the much larger honeybee flaps its wings 230 times every second."

This was a surprise because as insects get smaller, their aerodynamic performance decreases and to compensate, they tend to flap their wings faster.

"And this was just for hovering," Altshuler said of the bees. "They also have to transfer pollen and nectar and carry large loads, sometimes as much as their body mass, for the rest of the colony."

Try this!

In order to understand how bees carry such heavy cargo, the researchers forced the bees to fly in a small chamber filled with a mixture of oxygen and helium that is less dense than regular air. This required the bees to work harder to stay aloft and gave the scientists a chance to observe their compensation mechanisms for the additional toil.

The bees made up for the extra work by stretching out their wing stroke amplitude but did not adjust wing beat frequency.

"They work like racing cars," Altshuler said. "Racing cars can reach higher revolutions per minute but enable the driver to go faster in higher gear. But like honeybees, they are inefficient."

The work, supervised by Caltech's Michael Dickinson, was reported last month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The scientists said the findings could lead to a model for designing aircraft that could hover in place and carry loads for many purposes such as disaster surveillance after earthquakes and tsunamis. They are also pleased that a simple thing like bee flight can no longer be used as an example of science failing to explain a common phenomenon.

Proponents of intelligent design, or ID, have tried in recent years to promote the idea of a supreme being by discounting science because it can't explain everything in nature.

"People in the ID community have said that we don't even know how bees fly," Altshuler said. "We were finally able to put this one to rest. We do have the tools to understand bee flight and we can use science to understand the world around us."

That was the most half hearted attempt to cover your own ass I've seen and I'm disappointed to be a member of this community right now.

Bloo have you ever personally been victim to racism or to sexism?

No. No! But I've changed the subject.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 9 years ago

@DD

No no look, my point was not about what it means. I'm pretty sure I wrote that they practically mean the same thing. Practically as in in practice, like, there is no practical difference between the two concepts, they are the same thing if put into practice. I was talking about how the choice of words can lead to misconceptions. That's why I linked you the factory farming video. The woman explains how they reword the descriptions of practices to make people get the impression they want. Both "factory farming" and "squeezing a bunch of sick animals into a room, then brutally slaughtering them" mean the same thing, but result in different first impressions. The difference is due to differance. Each word is readily understood as describing a number of concepts, which are described by a number of other words, which also describe other concepts and so on. This infinite chain of association goes naturally and the direction of it is inevitably influenced by the point of origin.

@Concrete: Not to argue on his behalf, but I don't understand how Bloo's post is "covering his ass." I mean, you can certainly disagree with what he said or think it's invalid or whatever, but dumbing his argument down to ass-covering is a stretch. Just because someone hasn't personally been affected by something (which may not even be the case here) doesn't mean they can't care about it or empathize with the victims.

Also, what the hell, dude? Ashamed to be a part of this community? We've been through rampaging cock monsters together, brah. Cocks are thicker than water and shit, everybody know that. BUTT BUDDIES 4 LIFE. Oh, and this has nothing to do with anything we were just talking about, but sorry about not being on Skype for very long; I literally walked out the door right after I posted that.

@DW: ... Fair enough. I still don't agree 100%, but I understand where you'e coming from.

@Tawnagator: You attempted to end a fight about sexism by introducing intelligent design vs. evolution? I must applaud your behemoth balls, if nothing else.

Oh crap I did didn't I. I just wanted to talk about bees.

And birds?

NOW WE'RE TALKING.

I need to be more like you, Tawg. And I should have left the discussion with DD's post at the top of page 72. It was a much better counterargument to CH's.

"That was the most half hearted attempt to cover your own ass I've seen"

How are you gonna tell me my post sucks and not even tell me how? Dude, I know my lunchtime posts aren't exactly works of art, but shit, I didn't think it was that bad.

"Bloo have you ever personally been victim to racism or to sexism?"

Why? Where are you taking this? If I said no, would that suddenly elevate your argument?

Yes and birds. I like birds. Wait. Birds, bees. That's SEX! No dammit. Why do your minds keep tracking back to sex?

Honestly, I do want to stop because it's not good for us or the forum, but suddenly ending it on a bad note wouldn't be a good thing either. Especially not if we have an RPG coming up soon, where we're all supposed to just have fun.

CH, I'm going to drop it and also admit that it wasn't my best argument ever. No matter how much I disagree with you right now, all the times we talked before (where we agreed on pretty much everything else) still means something to me.

skull_ripper, Yautja, 9 years ago

So... my internet was unavailable to me for awhile and still will be except at night when nobody will call, because my call alert isn't working. But yeah, I'm alive and building foam helmets for no reason.

Love Y'all.

DD we had a deal.

@SR well that's unfortunate. Foam helmets, really?

gamefreak33797, Yautja, 9 years ago

So um, I guess the whole debate was my entire fault for mentioning the "feminazis". I am sorry.

ANYWAYS!!

I finally got a job and if any of you for some reason are driving through truck stops in Indiana you might catch me; this also means that I will be able to buy an Xbox One and xbl, and maybe a PS4