-Bloo-, Human, 10 years ago

Yeah, I rip everything except blu-rays to a hard drive, and download everything else.

I get the merit of owning the physical movie if it's a special edition, but otherwise, the cases are a huge waste of space when you've got more than a hundred.

DeathWraith, Human, 10 years ago

I don't even keep movies or games. Download, watch/play, delete. What's the point in keeping them when they're right there on the Internet? It's not like some dark era will come when the Internet has become illegal and the only games I have left to play are the ones I saved.

There are still very few Romanians who ask me "Do you have any movies?" when they're visiting or something. Yeah, I have all the movies, I can just download them at around 11mb/s and they're right on my hard drive before this conversation is over.

DarkLioness, Human, 10 years ago

I don't even remember the last time I bought a CD or what CD it was.

I dunno, there'll be times when I'm forced into situations where I'm stuck with really shitty internet (like right now where downloading a 5mb song will take more than the usual one second), so I've just grown into keeping all my movies/shows.

Peterson, Human, 10 years ago

i delete mine as i grow tired of them but as i live on base in the barracks its always nice to have a good collection for whatever event i might be hosting in my room.

Hunter_Predator, Human, 10 years ago

I must dissagree.

When listening to an old Beatles or Doors record the vinyl (it being how the record was originally recorded) just sounds and feels better to me.

And even when listening to new music, when I listen to it on Youtube, it's like "whatever", off windows media player (or for you kids: itunes) then it's like "alright well this is mine forever", then I listen to it on my ipod and I think "I can listen anytime I damn well please", off a CD it's like "wow, this is how it was originally released (for music from like 2003-now) and this is the way it was meant to be heard"... but once you put on a vinyl... not only does it force you to stop and listen to the entire record start to finish, that way you can't just fucking skip around and just listen to your 2-3 favorite songs only on repeat like some little twirp, it makes you listen to the full record which is, honestly, amazing, all the lost songs that are never released on radio that you'd never hear because all you did was download that one single released for airplay onto your ipod, what about the other 11 songs? sometimes those other 11 songs are better than the 1 radio-released single that everyone knows, but you won't. At the same time it's not as crisp as through a computer speaker set up or a new car radio, no not at all, but just the novelty, the feel, is so overwhelming for me.

You gotta realize you're talking to a heavily music obsessed individual here lol

But the best way (sometimes) to hear any piece of music, is by far... live... you get the emotion and the sound, the words, the feelings, the expressions and movements straight from the artists themselves... unless they're one of those shit bands that just release party music shit for money and fame and jump around like little douchebags on stage screaming words that they don't even feel and they use their stupid f*cking backing tracks and computers playing the record behind them to keep them in time and in tune because they suck and can't even play their own music like idiots and give no emotion whatsoever... I hate those jerk offs... but the real bands and musicians, with no tracks behind them, who stay in time and tune and key all by themselves, and really present the emotion and feeling right there in front of you? that's the greatest feeling of all time...

Well that's what I was trying to say, it sounds and feels better for you because you're a hipster, but it doesn't actually sound better in the real world, it just ages worse.

skull_ripper, Human, 10 years ago

My brother is getting to go see his favorite band ever preform live in about a week or so, which is really cool for him.

When I want vinyl quality, I download lossless FLAC files, which are pretty much the same thing when you've got audio monitors or AKG headphones.

...But they're a huge waste of space AND they don't play on portable devices, so 160-320kbps MP3s are good enough for me.

Edit: @HP: I just read more of your post and while I agree with you to an extent (listening to full albums and getting the full experience and what not), the condescension toward people who enjoy their musical differently from you is the reason why DW's calling you a hipster.

I don't mean to be condescending myself, it's just... entertainment is meant to be enjoyed the way we want it to. I personally love watching movies like Inception from start to finish on nothing but a giant tv and surround sound and won't settle for less, but I don't give two shits if my friends wanna watch it bit by bit on a tiny ass iPod Touch.

I wish I had a favourite band ever. If I did it would probably be Boohwal before Jung Dong Ha became the lead singer.

Peterson, Human, 10 years ago

Eh gotta say mines tied between ether old school Marilyn Manson or King Diamond

I cant decide what mine is, I like a lot of different bands and genres so its tuff, so if I go by categories I listen to I'd have to say Korpiklaani, Alterbridge, and the Lotr/Hobbit soundtracks. My brothers favorite band ever is Wintersun, very good choice if you ask.

Deathdrop, Human, 10 years ago

For me it's whatever I feel like listening to at the time. I'm not being glib, it's just that my tastes are so ADD at this point that there's no point playing favorites.

Case in point: To my shame, I got drunk the other night and listened to Korn for the first time since high school. That would not happen now.

I haven't listened to a vinyl in a long time, so I don't know if I am able to discern a difference in quality but I do get what your saying HP. I get the same way watching stuff on VHS compared to DVD's and digital downloads.

gamefreak33797, Human, 10 years ago

I have a record player and my Dad has a weird device where you can plug it into a music device and it makes a vinyl record.

It is absolutely amazing.

DarkLioness, Human, 10 years ago

My taste in music varies somewhat depending on the genre, sub-genre and of course the artists. But a lot of the music I listen to has to do with the lyrics because I'm a lyrics person. Another key factor in the music I listen to has more to do with emotion. As for what I've listened to music on I've had the fantastic privilage of hearing music on a vinyl before(my mother has lots of these, but they're in storage right now) and I greatly appreciated the experience. Now about genres, meh I kinda drift between Rock, Alternative and anything within the Metal genre and sub-genres for the most part. I'm not a huge fan of Nu-Metal but I've heard a few songs that I thought were ok. I've mentioned before that I don't like Rap, Hip-Hop or R&B but there are a few(to be more literal about it, it's five) artists in my least favorite genres that I like to a certain degree.

I listen to absolutely anything that makes me feel good at a certain time. That includes hard rock, alternative rock, black metal (or whatever that thing with the screaming people is called), hip-hop, classical, ambient, pop, electronic... I've even accepted this new style of dubstep as an art form. Not music, because it has no melody and it's not based on musical notes. But it is made through effort with the intent of producing a finite object meant for expressing, recreating or creating thoughts and emotion, so it is art.

For something that included "not music," that was really positive. Nice.

My favorite band is U2 because of Achtung Baby.

@DL: You mention you don't like hip-hop, but if you're a lyric person and you don't mind the voice, you might like "Razorblade Salvation" by JMT. (He's Italian, not Black, which might clear up any confusion.)

The one kind of music I cannot abide is Country. *Shudders*
It is like an illiterate poison to my soul.

OOOOH LOUISIANA WOMAN
MISSISSIPPI MAN
WE GET TOGETHER EVERY TIME WE CAN
THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER CAN'T KEEP US APART
THERE'S TOO MUCH LOVE IN THIS MISSISSIPPI HEART
TOO MUCH LOVE IN THIS LOUISIANA HEART