Thoughts on Bolaji Badejo

concretehunter, Yautja, 10 years ago

For those who don't know, Bolaji Badejo was the man in the suit of the original alien.

Before i go on I'd suggest reading one of the few interviews with him.

http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/interview-with-bolaji-badejo-1979/

After that interview he dropped off the radar. What happened to him is shrouded in mystery, Some say he may be dead. Honestly it is saddening to think that there is nobody to thank for giving physical character to the films that have given me so much joy.

My favorite thing from the interview is him saying

"The fact that I played the part of the Alien, for me, that’s good enough."

He did a lot for cinema, And he's a huge part of why our community exists. I hope he led a long and happy life, and has no regrets of dodging the limelight.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 10 years ago

If nothing else, you've got to appreciate how much patience and endurance it took to wear that suit... That thing must have been awkward as hell to move around in.

He says how he couldn't wear it for more than 10 minutes and even then he'd be drenched in sweat!

He must have lost tons of weight simply in sweat over the course of a day

I can't quite recall-Was he in the suit during Brett's death scene, or was that a stuntman?

I would assume that its Bolaji, The Alien is seen in full and nothing appears to require a stuntman. I'll try and watch my Behind the Scenes DVD and find out later tonight

I remember there being test footage of him wearing just the alien head so Ridley Scott could see how it looked.

Xenotor, Yautja, 10 years ago

Well, to tell you the truth I did not know much about the good man but I watched the interview and a man who takes his job serious is a man who deserves a lot of respect.

Bolaji Badejo great job my good man!

-Bloo-, Yautja, 10 years ago

I've never known his name till now, but I've always had respect for both him and Kevin Hall. Not only were their suits extremely uncomfortable to move around in, I think none of them could see in them, so they basically had to memorize body movements one take at a time.

All of the scenes HAD to have been him, since all of the Xeno's on-screen movements involved slow movements. If there was only one reason why modern Xenomorphs aren't as great as Giger's, then it's this - with the slow movements and the subtle smile, Giger's Drone knew exactly what it needed to do and it knew that it COULD do those things, but modern Xenos are too much like dumbass mooks that are only there to get killed by the main characters.

i agree, My favorite part of the entire film is that weird ass wavy arm thing.

alien_film_double_kill.jpg?v=2

Creepy. Threatening. Otherworldly.

And completely improvised.

Edit: I just found it odd how he dropped of the face of the earth.

Shockwave, I've deleted your post because it had literally nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I think it would have been worse for Kevin Hall as he was out in the boiling Mexican jungle. It makes you think how great it would be working on a movie set. I would give my left nut to go back in time and help them make it. Not to change anything, But to experience the fun of it.