What would Freud say about H.R Giger?

concretehunter, Yautja, 11 years ago

I think this is very self explanatory.

For those unaware Freud was a psychologist who thought we all wanted to mate with our own mothers.

H.R. Giger is the man who designed the Alien, His art can be seen here http://www.hrgiger.com/frame.htm

Deathdrop, Yautja, 11 years ago

Hot damn, this is a good topic.

Giger once said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that, while he liked women, he was also scared of them. If you look at his artwork (particularly some of the Necronom stuff) a lot of it is female imagery merged with grinding, piercing, mechanical annihilation.

A nice full set of lips hide razor sharp metal fangs, the womb is equated with the barrel of a gun, a landscape of lifeless, loveless machines violently fuck each other, and an alien vagina is opened like the jaw of a fish to consume the head of another eyeless alien.

So in other words, Freud would have a field day.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

I really don't know. His art is based off nightmares he has and so it helps relieve him of the "pain," but he supposedly also finds a weird beauty in his Alien and adores the design of the Queen, whatever that may mean.

But I don't think drawing aliens makes us sick fucks. I write about my guy wanting to literally eat dicks and I like my writing, and he also wants to kill his mother while also wanting to bump uglies with her, and he also claws at his crotch because he wants both sets of genitalia, and he had a sex change, and...

What... what were we talking about?

Edit: I didn't know any of that. We are now back on topic because I change my answer: "He would have a field day."

I think he would probably bring up the fact that Giger is fascinated with demonizing/Nightmarish sexuality. Probably saying the Giger was sexually assaulted as a child and repressed the memory's and expresses his own insecurity's through art.

That's probably the cause for his nightmares, too.

I don't know if he still has them. He may just be used to his art style by now.

The idea reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0Gqt8VRKk

To be honest if i had a dream like the average Giger painting I'd feel a haunting emptyness for the next few days. Luckily he has the ability to express it via art.

Part of me wants Giger to be the art director for a Lovecraft film, but I don't really know if their styles exactly suit each other.

Gigers style is abit to... Inorganic.

Most of the horrors in Lovecraft's story's were goey, ocean dwellers. I don't think Lovecraftian horror would work in cinema.

I wonder how Giger's relationship is with his mother? Maybe she thinks all these drawings are like the guy from Superbadd.

"Oh he's been drawing penises, I got a call from his Principal Ridley saying that he's scared some people with them."

Yeah, if any sort of art style were to give a Lovecraft story any justice, it'd be the kind from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

Jesus christ. That's awesome, I would just suppress that kind of thing.

But why is Giger so occupied with women and genitals anyway? Did they ever explain that? I remember on the Alien documentary he said that genitals occur in nature so he has no problem including them if needed, But he tends to draw them all the damn time

@Bloo: Those books scared the piss out of me as a kid.

@Concrete: There must be something to the "scared of women" thing. Just about everything he paints has some kind of weird erotic charge to it.

I agree, But in the "Penis landscape" image he says that he intended to do it that way for shock value.

Wasn't that one intended for a Dead Kennedys album cover, though?

Yes, I think it was.

Dronehive, Yautja, 11 years ago

I don't really know, but either "Wow!" or "WTF".

So perfect.

Does Giger have a partner at all? Do you think he has a normal relationship with women?

Well, according to Wikipedia, his only two notable relationships ended pretty badly: divorce and suicide.

HunkGenetic, Yautja, 11 years ago

then he created alien?
======hunkgenetic=====
======xenomorphrubro-negro=========

Massimo-DAlema.jpg?1317751303

Well shit, That's just hard on the poor guy.

Dronehive, Yautja, 11 years ago

I'm pretty shure that his art is inspired by his night terrors that revolved around women being horrifying monsters with vagina denta.

I don't think he's confterble around them at all.