Old Xeno vs New

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I was doing a study on the anatomy of the old Drone and Warrior versus the modern ones, and it surprised me just how completely different they were. I always knew they WERE different somehow, but until I inspected every little detail and compared the two sketches I did for my Family Portrait, I didn't know to what extent.

Here they are, Alien/Aliens (first picture) versus Resurrection/AVP/AVPR:

Dave2_zps74765900.png
Kirby1_zps724fc3ca.png

They might as well be completely different movie monsters. Considering I've been a fan since before I knew they were shaped like dicks, you'd think I'd have realized this years ago. Which do you guys prefer?

daveberg, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Original, by far. It's more bio-mech and bizarre. The later adaptations are more beast like, animal in nature.

Yeah, they definitely have that going on about them, especially in the AVP movies. Somehow, the animalistic nature of the Dogalien caught on and became the standard portrayel of Xenomorphs everywhere they appeared. They have a simpler, more organic design in addition to their tendency to act like typical monsters.

What I like about Giger's Drone so much was that it wasn't an animal or monster at all. It was fast, yet it wouldn't ever let you see it travel long distances. It was a wild creature, yet it acted like an obsessed and childish rapist rather than a hungry lion.

krio, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

i like aliens one because of the bio-weaponry.....or chemical killer it looks like.but avp on was cool too.....seeing the xeno as a monster that likes to eat you.

i'd like to know who would win in a fight!

chemical killer vs shadow moster....IDEA!

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I prefer the original, by a long shot.

Voltage-3000, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

well remember they were both in different time periods right? the original was far in the future and the modern ones are more of the past?

i wasnt to much into alien only few things i can remember since i watched them when i was merely a child and was scared shitless watching. but i do know the older alien was around during space travel of a more evolved earth which gives it a more cyber look

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

1st one.
More alien.

ThePredator13, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Well to be honest, I always have to come back to the dick head model, it's much more imbeded in my head than the other. While I like some designs about number 2, for me it's Alien, Aliens head model by a long shot for me.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I prefer the ridged head warriors from aliens. Partially because it doesn't look like a dick, and it looks better in my opinion. I like how they did the Drone/Warrior thing with them being different classes.

Part of the problem with the "latter day" xenos is how metaphorically defanged they are. The head doesn't look like a dick, the jaws are muscle-y and organic instead of mechanical-looking, and mouth is way less humanlike. Everything that made the original an effective monster has been lost.

gamefreak33797, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

How could you forget the hidden skull in the original one DD, I can't believe you!!

I was actually never a fan of the skull. That thing looks a lot freakier without eyes, which is why they took such pains to cover up the skull on the original.

Ever see the pictures of the original costume minus the dome? It looks freaky as all hell, but it still loses something by having eyes to look into.

I spent the last hour writing an essay on why they may have human skulls, but I realized I kept going back and editing my old points, which made the whole thing not make any sense.

Basically they're just another trait they take from hosts and I know fuck all about why, but they start as tumors with a cancerous placenta rather than a straight up chicken-like embryo, human-like faces are dominant in all Xenos including the dogalien because they originally came from Engineers (even though the Deacon looked nothing like a human, which supports my theory about it being the first Queen or royal strain since royal strains don't take ANY traits from their hosts, even though it DID take traits from its host, etc), etc, etc. I managed to go from furiously typing away to stopping dead in my tracks because I suddenly realized none of what I was writing down could be understood by anyone, including ME when I tried to go back and read just what the hell I was talking about. Xenos are confusing as shit.

I haven't really dug deep into Xenomorph biology in years. I used to think I was an "expert," but all I knew is what I learned from this site over the past 7 years. I've been doing studies on them from different websites and it's crazy what kind of theories there are.

Praetorian, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

The original, the AvPR ones look like dinosaurs.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Sage words of wisdom dude.

krio, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

In colonial marines they mixed then up a little.