Alien vs Predator - Universe
 News   Forum   RPG   Clans   Members   Encyclopedia   Movies   Games   Books   Comics   Artwork 
HomeForum › Bloo's Fan-Fic (Discussion Thread)

Forum

Bloo's Fan-Fic (Discussion Thread)

Register or login to post
-Bloo-
2014-02-11 21:55:33
Xenomorph
Yeah, about those...

I know I haven't had the chance to tell you ('cause of not being on Skype for, like, 8 years), but the "wallpapers" have been pushed back, and instead I'm just totally focusing on character sheets/monster designs.

I think the decision makes sense: The sheets are a legitimate excuse to keep practicing anatomy as well as playing around with different outfits and stuff, not to mention I'm STILL slightly tweaking everyone's faces (I've finally settled on a final design for Vera, if that makes you feel better).

And I gotta be honest, ever since classes started back up, I've been doing less and less drawing. I only manage to get out a few drawings a week, and almost none of these are upload-worthy. In my current pile, I have maybe 6 I wanna show you guys later.

On the bright side, I've been doing a ton of writing, and I'm on track to (finally) completely update Art Crap the next time I upload more drawings, which might admittedly take a while at the pace I'm going. Sometimes I wish I had two bodies...

MODERATOR / LEADER OF THE SHADOW SERPENTS

DeathWraith
2014-02-12 13:16:17
Xenomorph
Welp, if you need more encouragement, here's a tiny lecture from the only Korean writer whose name I can remember, who wrote "Your Republic Is Calling You" - which you should read:

http://www.ted.com/talks/young_ha_kim_be_an_artist_right_now.html

*TL Note: Son Dam Bi is some slut.

EDIT: Unfortunately the subtitles aren't synced, I hope it doesn't bother you very much.

EDIT2: Apparently it syncs back if you refresh and start from where you left off.

READ THE RULES

A song about me and skull_ripper that I wrote:
"Yeah, uh, yea yeah, uh, yeah, crackers gonna crack yeah, uh, yeah..."
(thats what I have so far hope u like it)
-Bloo-
2014-02-12 15:56:53
Xenomorph
I'm surprised it even loaded for me, but anyway, that was a nice video.

I saw your post right after reading Hayao Miyazaki's recent "Otaku" rant. It's funny because, last night, I was reading through my earlier posts in this thread, and I realized I was insecure for no reason.

I kept trying to tell myself that my style wasn't anime-influenced. That's because I was really embarrassed to be associated with anime at all, but I actually really love that aesthetic and I've since embraced that. It's just that... I was worried about what others would think about my style, since anime is generally hated.

I agree with people like Miyazaki and Hideaki Anno when they say they love anime, but hate a lot of the consumers - the otaku. I know the term "otaku" itself doesn't necessarily mean "anime lover," but its like the evolution of the definition of "gay" - how many people actually mean "happy" when they say that? It's the same thing - and since it's otaku who consume or make 85% of the anime that Westerners are exposed to (the TONS of repetitive, unnecessary fanservice/stereotypes/sexualization of underage girls/unbelievable characters/stupid character interactions), it's no wonder the rest of the world thinks anime is garbage.

But I've since realized... I shouldn't be embarrassed about my art style. Besides, I'm not aiming to do any of that and I don't consider myself an anime otaku. I'm actually aiming to undo ALL of those things. It's my attempt at showing people anime isn't inherently bad. Asian animation can be really, really beautiful (I just learned that it was a Korean studio that animated Avatar, and that makes me happy).

I'm going to keep making my art, even if no one cares, because it makes me happy. And if some people hate it, who cares, right? You can't please everyone. This isn't some project for a big company, so if there was ever a right time to be experimental as fuck, now is that time.

Also, I guess you should know this: A long time ago on this forum, we were talking about whether or not something like AVP could be made into an anime, and me and Predatoress got into a big debate about whether or not anime is stupid. I couldn't convince her that anime =/= "huge boobs/bad storytelling" and some now-inactive members backed her up, so a lot of my past insecurity came from that.

DeathWraith
2014-02-12 17:49:46
Xenomorph
Predess is really good at seeding and exploiting insecurities in people. She's probably the only person I've ever known who is more skilled than me when it comes to propaganda and even so, I don't think I'm even close to her level.

READ THE RULES

-Bloo-
2014-02-14 05:53:26
Xenomorph
I dunno if you saw my reply in the OTT, but even if you did, here's a better one:

I just dislike how a lot of anime tropes justify the hate. While anime =/= bad, she probably wasn't 100% wrong, and that's what got to me.

I want to dispel a lot, if not all, of those stereotypes. This may or may not be an unorthodox way of improving my own writing, but I'm actively watching a bunch of shows while forming my own opinions, and then going online to read constructive criticisms/reviews to see how other people reacted. Usually I'm "right" in what I'm thinking, which makes me confident in the directions I'm taking Instrumentality's story. This probably sounds backward as hell since I JUST said that I don't care what others think, but this method is more for me to help distinguish between genuinely good writing, and writing that I just find entertaining, even if it's bad.

Now that I know what others think of my current art style, I feel good about that, too. That also probably sounds contradictory to my previous post, but no matter how much I like my own style, this is also supposed to appeal to other people, too. A big reason I'm even putting this much effort into something I'm not getting paid for is to take the "anime is shit" mindset and shove it up people's asses.

I mean, I also love doing this stuff, but still.

DeathWraith
2014-02-14 08:57:13
Xenomorph
You're gonna go online for constructive criticism? That's a terrible idea.

Listen, writing that you find entertaining is good writing. Like Kim Young-ha said, just keep writing and it will turn out good, because if you're an intelligent enough person to know how to write, you're probably intelligent enough to make it entertaining. Write a lot, and when you're done read it and if you like it, it's probably good. If you don't like it, modify it until you're like half-content with it and at that point it will be much better than you think it is. Your own review is the only one that matters - and you don't have to try to convince anyone that this is true.

Basically all you have to do is not be BioWare. Neither start blocking out people who disagree with you, nor start taking advice from fucking everyone on what your art should be like until it becomes shit. Amazingly, they managed to do both at the same time. So yeah, the world you're creating is yours and only you understand it, so write it in a way that you enjoy and that will be good writing.

READ THE RULES

-Bloo-
2014-02-19 00:38:25
Xenomorph
I think you're right about all of that. I agree my method isn't very conventional - though I always thought it was effective in at least telling me how to avoid genuinely bad writing (like boring characters). But I guess if I can already tell what a bad character is on my own, then I don't really need to keep trying to "confirm" it by looking at others' opinions, do I?

Still, it's kinda fun looking at different opinions, so I'm still gonna do it, but I won't rely on it so heavily like I used to. As for criticisms/advice, I'll gladly take them as long as they help me, like what you've been doing. I really appreciate it.

---

@Deathwraith I kinda have a character for Predess. I don't know how I feel about it though. If anyone would be against me doing this "anime bullshit" to AVP, it'd be her, so I don't even know how to handle her character without potentially pissing her off.

I want to include her because she was here a long time, but I don't know how to integrate her story-wise. Whatever changes I would make to her might stray too far off from what her original character is.

Here's a rough draft of stuff I came up with:

She was a Finnish woman who lived during "The Invasion," which happened 1000 years before the main story. Stuff happened, and eventually she became a test subject for one of the numerous Super Soldier programs going on. Xeuss, Lucifer, and most of the other DBO members' characters were also test subjects.

Your guys' program used Miracle Matter (the black goo) as the basis for your enhancements. You were each fused with the DNA and "brain" of another species. Xeuss was fused with a Xenomorph named Death Wraith, Lucifer was fused with a Predator named Otang, etc. Predess was fused with a Predator named Diabolus.

Predess and everyone in the actual DBO were "successful" experiments, except a lot of them fell into comas (or something). Xeuss and Predess were among them; Xeuss only fell asleep for a few months, but even then his memory was really blurry. Still, he knew he was mostly human.

SHE slept for, like, 900 years in a test tube thing, so she woke up thinking she was a small Predator. From there, she started attacking other Predators for having weird faces. (She has a dominantly human body, including a human face, just like Xeuss).

Eventually she sides with The Seven Head Dragon, which is The Doctor's rogue clan. It's made up of member-owned Predators, like Deathdrop and Stalker.

Oh, and she might be the ancestor of one of the main characters, who is half Finnish/Korean. I dunno yet.

---

@Dronehive: I've never actually seen Black Lagoon. Miracle Matter is a reference to a villain from Kirby (yes, the pink guy), and Medical Mechanica is a nod to the villain of FLCL.

Miracle Matter's namesake is fitting, while Medical Mechanica's isn't (kind of).

The name "Black Lagoon" itself WAS a name I used for something, but it's since been scrapped, so there's currently nothing called Black Lagoon in my story.

Also, "Black Lagoon" itself was a reference to "Monster from the Black Lagoon" or whatever it was called - I actually had no idea what the show Black Lagoon was at this time last year.

skull_ripper
2014-02-19 01:12:56
Yautja
^ Dude, you should watch Creature from the Black Lagoon, it is up there with Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula and the Wolf-man, it is my favorite Universal Movie Monster.

Edit: Also I really like the blood types you created with the Yautja, that is really cool. I hadn't commented to say this before because I felt out of my depth looking at you and DW's really fascinating discussion about your ideas, and because I didn't feel I had anything to contribute. So I guess telling you to watch "Creature from the Black Lagoon" is my contribution(which is kind of a lame one) and that your Yautja blood types and lineages are a really fantastic concept.

¯_(ツ)_/¯
-Bloo-
2014-02-19 02:57:30
Xenomorph
Shit, I can't really take any originality points for that one, though - I only took the basic idea from Homestuck and started reworking it to fit the Predators.

A lot of this comic is like that, actually. It's to pay homage to the works that came before mine, of course, but there's actually an in-story reason for the similarity to other franchises, as well.

Time is a theme in this, and while there isn't any Doctor Who-esque time traveling shenanigans going on, time travel IS a thing. Extending beyond that is the idea of different World Lines, all of which reside in Attractor Fields. Each Attractor Field contains a near-infinite amount of World Lines that all contain similar events - no matter what happens and how it happens, these similar events will always happen, even if the time period, people involved, and circumstances leading up to them are completely different.

For example, events like the "Human Instrumentality Project" of End of Evangelion and "The Destruction of Xerxes" in Fullmetal Alchemist belong to the same basic Attractor Field event, even if they're literally two different things. It's because they have one thing in common - the merging of thousands of humans. Also from the same two franchises, the antagonist tries merging with a higher being to become/surpass God. They're completely different events, but they're also the same because they belong in the same Attractor Field. In other words, these two franchises are two different World Lines within the same Attractor Field.

There are Alien Universe equivalents of these things, as well, because anything having to do with humans is automatically a different World Line in the same Attractor Field. The difference between World Lines can be measured by a "Divergence Number."

The Engineers are from a different World Line, while the Predators are from a completely different Attractor Field. The Engineers are an evolved form of humans from the 100% Divergence, and they created our World Line, which means they created our domain. They strayed too far into trying to leave our Attractor Field, which explains their "space wars" with species like the Predators. The Engineers became drunk with power and tried conquering other Attractor Fields, forcing those different AF residents to fight back.

This itself is the Alien Universe equivalent of the "Anti-Spiral Versus Spiral Race" conflict of Gurren Lagann.

The Engineers are also the reason why different species and aliens exist in the same Attractor Field as humans. Alien races SHOULDN'T be here, since there should only be one race like the humans per Attractor Field, but the Engineers, asshole experimenters that they were, decided to go against the laws of nature and dropped everybody into the human Attractor Field. They actually sometimes DESTROY the Attractor Fields that they come into contact with, and then take a few of the residents and drop them into the human Attractor Field.

Also, the idea of "only one human-like race per Attractor Field" is similar to the "Adam and Lilith" deal from Neon Genesis Evangelion, but this is getting really long and I lost track of myself.

Edit: I should also mention that all these Attractor Fields exist in a single space, meaning it SHOULD be possible to travel between Attractor Fields if you have the necessary technology, which is how the Engineers did it. THIS means things like the laws of physics are the same between every Attractor Field and World Line. I don't know what this space is called, but it's just another layer of containment: Planet < Galaxy < Universe < World Line < Attractor Field < "Mysterious Space" is how it is. If you guys know what this space would be called, it'd be cool if you could let me know. Otherwise, name suggestions are always welcome.

TL;DR Thanks! I liked the blood color idea, too. And nah, feel free to join the conversation whenever you want, SR.

skull_ripper
2014-02-19 03:27:23
Yautja
I think it would be cool if you called the Mysterious Space "The Yggdrasil"(as opposed to just "Yggdrasil" which is a smidge overused), the World Tree from Norse Mythology. The reason I suggest this more than just it sounds cool, but also you get sort of a tree-like thing going on sort of from what I can tell.

Planet(Fruit)>Galaxy(stem of the Fruit)>Universe(the Branch of the Fruit)>World Line(The Branch of the Branch)>Attractor Field(The Limb of the Branch)>Yggdrasil(The Tree itself).

That's how I got to the conclusion anyhow.

¯_(ツ)_/¯
-Bloo-
2014-02-19 17:46:44
Xenomorph
That sounds interesting, I haven't looked at any Norse mythology so far. I'll consider it after looking into the stuff myself.

And yeah, the "feels like a tree" idea is right. The World Lines are like branches, except they don't all exist at the same time - each World Line is a different possibility, with the Alpha World Line being called "Steins;Gate." Each Attractor Field DOES exist at the same time, however. Word Lines = Time, while Attractor Fields = Space.

The Alien Universe (aka the universe we're living in right now) is the Alpha World Line. A lot of other things exist here, too... things that exist in other World Lines.

For starters, Alien Universe equivalents of the Lacuna Company, Cobol Engineering, Abstergo Industries, NERV, SERN, and a certain Kansas City crime syndicate all exist. They aren't exactly the same as they are in their respective franchises, but their technologies - Memory Wipers, Dream Machines, Genetic Memory Machines, Mobile Suits, Time Leap Machines, and Time Travel Machines - do work the same.

That's just the tip of the iceberg - there are hundreds of similar things in this universe. And, of course, Weyland-Yutani also existed prior to The Invasion. It eventually becomes The Red Shield, which houses the government and military branches like Alpha Draconis and the DBO.

Wey-Yu's thousand-year transformation into Red Shield began when it was bought by Walmart. The internet stopped existing for a few hundred years, which lends to the fact that no one in the present story is aware of The Invasion and anything having to do with it. They just know that something called Second Impact happened.

People began digging up old records of the "Old Civilization," which included the media and cultural norms of the 1950s-2100s. In a backwards-as-fuck transition, people began adopting these cultural norms to be more like their ancestors, which included treating women badly, and misinterpreting the meaning of religion (think of how ancient kings forced people to switch to Christianity).

It isn't as severe as it is in our time and people are MUCH less likely to be assholes; Queer people are still more accepted and people are still nice to each other - it's because a majority of the population thinks adopting old norms is a "backward way of thinking." Still, there are strong collections of racists, misogynists, etc. There's even an underground prostitution syndicate in the Japan State, which is significant to the main character, as she was sold into that syndicate as a child trafficker at the age of 9.

Anyway, yeah, if I can't think of anything, I'll take "The Yggdrasil."

predatoress
2014-02-20 13:33:38
Undefined
Bloo: Don't worry about including my character in the story, I wont be too pissed off anyway lol And hey, I'm still in the books of living (or person with new computer, you decide...).
Register or login to post

Alien Figure

Dish Network Virginia
Like AvP Universe
Become a fan on
Facebook
Follow us on
Twitter
Movies
Alien vs Predator
AvP : Requiem
Games
Aliens vs Predator
Aliens vs Predator 2
AvP : Extinction
Aliens vs Predator 3
Books
Comics
Movies
Alien
Aliens
Alien³
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus
Games
Alien Trilogy
Colonial Marines
Books
Comics
Movies
Predator
Predator 2
Predators
Games
Predator : CJ
Books
Comics
Link to Us
Contact
:: Associates ::
AvP Unknown
Planete Alien
Prometheus-Movie
The Alien vs Predator - Universe website doesn't own or represent any of the trademarks.
Alien vs Predator, Alien, Predator and all related marks are trademarks of 20th Century Fox or of any of its corporations.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners