Aliens Colonial Marines - First Play

killinaintcrazy, Human, 11 years ago

Well..........yesterday I woke to find what I had assumed had a 50/50 chance of arriving on Monday.......
Yes, colonial marines for PS3.

Well having played it now for nearly 4/5 hours (which is testament I guess to its content) I can honestly say I'm not disappointed.
Haven't really jumped into multiplayer as was completely engrossed in the single campaign.

Now that said, I have to be honest when I say that the element of 'fear or dread' didn't seem overly present, not until a later mission anyway.
But that got me thinking, being ex military, I can at least vouch and say that when the chips are down provided you honestly think you are the best and believe it, you won't be afraid. So I guess what I'm really saying is the feeling of being a bad ass would perhaps override that feeling of fear or horror. Until as I said........one particular mission which thus far was pretty damn scary.

Anyway, was just a quick note to say that those who are amped up you should be, because so far this game has delivered!!!!

Blizzard, Human, 11 years ago

You make me so jealous ...
just one quick question how is the game on difficulty as in is it extremely easy ? and how does the health system work is it like half life or cod ?

daveberg, Human, 11 years ago

Not long now.....have to stay frosty until Tuesday!

Hey dude,

As far as difficulty goes there are 4 choices, I went for the second mainly to enjoy the story as to avoid annoying repititous play of certain elements (and to be fair at that level there were some replays).

AI seems reasonable, though as to how better it gets in relation difficult I can't say at the momen.
The health system is a kind of COD element. Essentially 3 bars, partial bar loss is replenished during rest, however total bar depletion required a health refill.

Also damage taken is firstly absorbed by armour. I think I would recommend the next difficulty up (I'm currently playing it on soldier level)

Don't want to give too much away but there are some pretty cool collectible and some anorak moments for the die hard fans to pick up on

I'm pleased anyway, now..........time to get back on it! :-)

Mebber, Human, 11 years ago

Played the game for a few hours now, and i start to wish AvP 2010 back.

No, honestly, i'm quite disappointed so far. It just feels like an average corridor-shooter. Well, let's see how the later parts of the game are, and the mp mode. But as of yet i really regret to have paid so much money for the game...

But the power loader miniature... is awesome.

Peterson, Human, 11 years ago

I played for a good 4 hours this evening and I can actually say that im content. Gearbox didnt do as bad as they could have done. The Multiplayer needs work but all in all im rather enjoying the campeign. Not to mention some of the names of the achievments crack me up such as "EAT THIS" or with the smart gun on the 4th mission "LETS ROCK!" epic quotes from the movie added to the game is actually pretty clever.

Had to force myself to put the controller down and go to sleep last night.

Played for 7 hours straight and enjoyed every. Last. Minute.

Best game i've played in a long time. I'm not fussy like most, all the minor niggles mean nothing to me. This game was nostalgia central - can't wait to get home from work and play more!!

I took in so much detail, looked over everything so thoroughly that after 7 hours I was only on level 4.

Absolutely love this game.

-Bloo-, Human, 11 years ago

My copy isn't in yet. Goddammit.

Edit: Usually I don't care what critics say, but I'm a little worried.

I never listen to any critics. They're mostly bias and full of doo doo.

If any of them were true fans of Aliens, they wouldn't have given the game such low scores.

Poor graphics? Hardly. Shakey game mechanics? Didn't seem like it to me. No atmosphere? play the beginning of the game before your 1st encounter with the Aliens - tell me that doesn't get you on edge.

The game is everything I could've wanted. A direct line to the main franchise which oozes nostalgia in every conceivable way. The service to fan boys in this game is simply outstanding, I just don't have a problem with it at all.

To be honest i'm enjoying it! just thought the AI should have been better really.......

ThePredator13, Human, 11 years ago

I feel for you Bloo, my copy hasn't come yet even though I ordered it a few days ago...good old shipping is taking their time on it.....

Same here
still waiting :(

Peterson, Human, 11 years ago

I beat the game today, honestly Grand! Love the game and I can say that It was well worth every penny of it!

I'm really anxious to see if I like it or not. I'm heading home soon, so I'm gonna see if it came in.

Mebber, Human, 11 years ago

Finished the game today too.

As with many games, i guess if you like it or not mostly depends on what you expect of it, and what kind of games you want to play. I wanted an alien horror experience, but ACM is more Starship Troopers like combatwise - killing hundreds of mindless bugs who charge at you. There isn't much of subtle horror or the like. Therefore, i was initially quite upset. But after taking ACM for what it is, an absolutely straight shooter with backgrounds, monsters and movie references from a franchise i like, i started to have pretty much fun with it, especially because the multiplayer and the challenge mechanics can be quite addictive. For me, the game really started to make fun after reaching Hadleys Hope - as an Aliens fan, you can't but feel home somehow. The currently ongoing shitstorm on the game is way overhyped, although i can see where it comes from. I wouldn't call ACM an AAA title by any means, but it's not bad either.

PS: I would love if they'd reduced the overall ammount of bugs and used much more stalkers instead - these guys are great.

"The currently ongoing shitstorm on the game is way overhyped, although i can see where it comes from."

Yeah, it was especially bad on IGN. Understandably, it WAS talked about for, like, 6 years. Then when the game hit stores, suddenly IGN labeled it as a really shit game.

Anyway, I still don't have mine.

I think seeing as you're constantly part of a squad, the feeling of being helpless is less apparent. But let's all be honest. Aliens was an action film. If gearbox wanted to push more of the horror element, they could have made a film closer to Alien, in a similar fashion to dead space. More of a survival horror. But looking at the overall product, I think they nailed it on the head. Balls to the wall bug fest with blazing guns and gung ho marines - pretty much what James Cameron gave us in movie form.

Have just made it to the perimiter of the 'derelict' - have been squeeking like a little girl ever since I got to Hadley's hope. Mebber was right - it does feel like home.

DeathWraith, Human, 11 years ago

Had to come back to post this.

io7fsIu80aw6r.gif

Anyway, now I'm really gone. Like, forever. Swear on me mum.

LOL IGN is the most shittiest review site I know
in my oppinion search for independant reviewers
...MY GAME STILL HASN'T ARRIVED GRRR

Actually yeah, a lot of reviews that don't come from big companies usually like to say what Dave and Mebber have. Good, not great, excellent for fans, etc.

Big names seem to just be completely shitting on it.

I do hope its not shit this game
How shit is the AI on a scale of 10 ?