Staff Q&A

Peterson, Human, 11 years ago

So here we are again with a Questions and Answers topic, Im going to leave this topic open until Friday Feb 8th. So Feel free to ask any staff member any question you may have about them, any staff member can decline to answer any question that they feel is too personal or on something they would rather not disclose.

So lets hear those questions!

ThePredator13, Human, 11 years ago

So, I've always wanted to know what its like being a MOD....

-Bloo-, Human, 11 years ago

How'd you all get started, anyway? I don't remember a time when any of you were normal members, but you might have been promoted before I got here (which was around '08 or something).

Deathdrop, Human, 11 years ago

Oh, God... Let's see, it must have been 2004, shortly after the site came online.

Originally, there were no rules and no mods. Which sounds cool on paper, except that most of the topics consisted of people arguing over which species was "better" (as though there was some objective standard for judging fictional space monsters)

"TEH ALINCZ R BETTER AND U R ALL FAGFUCK SO DIE!!1" - That kind of thing.

I was just a guest at the time, and I said something like "I don't know guys, I think they're both cool so bla bla bla" and Dave said it was nice to see a guest with some sense. I guess it made an impression, because when I joined I was considered reasonable compared to most other people (which, admittedly, was not saying much) and so I got the mod job.

I didn't want it at first because I thought being a mod was too much responsibility or something (a thought only a 15 year old could have). Dave was like "nah, it's easy, dude."

And then, I shit you not, one of the resident douchebags came in with a "ur all teh biches" post, which I promptly deleted.

... AND SO TASTED POWER.

That's both a little underwhelming and the greatest thing ever.

Now I'm assuming Dave was just always here. I'd assume the same of Bug-Hunt but he's, like, the only one of you guys I've never had a real conversation with, so I don't know anything about him.

I was honestly a standard member from 2006 through the start of 2012 but to me at first when i became a mod i felt as though i needed to seek the rest of the staffs approval on alot of ideas and somethings its good to bring into light with the rest of the Mods but still there are things now that I would just do without thinking twice about. And to answer the first question being a Mod is pretty easy in all reality, its not really about the mods cleaning things up as trying to take steps to avoid problems from happening that why we warn people instead of ban right off the bat, which is case by case scenario of course.

Topdogg, Human, 11 years ago

I heard there will be a private message function happening soon? Is this still going ahead? ................am i in the wrong thread??

daveberg, Human, 11 years ago

2004 was indeed the beginning for me....If I remember correctly, I was in the thick of a slanging match with several scrubs, both sides trying to get an edge over the other, in the end, it actually boiled down to myself and this one douche being given mod status to try and calm the situation, for which the other guy began to abuse and delete all my posts as well as bughunts. (I'm hazy on whether you were involved, DD?) In the end, after a lengthy chat with P and after making an example of the said douchebag, P kept me as a Mod, promoted Bughunt too, then shortly after, DD and Topdogg were brought aboard - the legend of the bendystraw punishment took off from there.......

@TD: Nah, that's an urban legend.

Speaking of myths, dude, you're like a unicorn or a snipe. Kinda like DW, but even less frequent.

@Dave: I don't remember any of that, must have been before I got the mod spot.

DD - yeah it was a big ruckus. Can't for the life of me remember that asshat's name. But yeah, in a nutshell, that's how it all started.

Topdogg, Human, 11 years ago

@ Bloo: lol, i just dont get the time to pop over as much but i like to come over now and again to say high to you guys, it was really fun at the start and as one of the "older" members its good to see this movement keep going.

or even rarer yet would be if stalker stopped by

I would bet you'll get a sighting from 'ol Stalk soon enough.....Still keep in touch with him quite regularly.

OH what a treat that would be!

I used to talk to Stalker a lot outside of this place, same with Katam, Donut, Cory, etc. it'd be nice if any of them dropped by as well.

ahh donut she always had a sense of humor and added a spark of light to the board.

concretehunter, Human, 11 years ago

What was your must memorable ban?

What they did ect...

Blizzard, Human, 11 years ago

this thread makes me wish I got here sooner :(

@Concrete: Assassin was probably the most notable ban for a number of reasons, chief among them that the ban didn't work. He kept spamming even after he'd been banned (I still haven't figured that one out.) and made a mess of the "End of the Line" RPG board (which had recently ended) with a bunch of topics with no titles.

He kept trying to sound tough by saying things liek "im gong to rape of of your asss mother fukers u r all bitches and lik ur moms virginias an fuk u so BLA BLA BLA"

So I said something to the effect of "Dude, you're really embarrassing yourself here, to the point where I feel bad for you. This is ridiculous; you're terrible at insults, and the people you are trying to offend are laughing their asses off."

I don't know whether whatever fuck-up that allowed him to keep posting was fixed or whether my appeal to reason actually got through to him, but I prefer to believe the latter.

Wasn't he the guy whose post you edited to include an extensive prologue to "and ur mom is the gay"? That was hilarious.

I can't ban anyone, but my favorite banning by far was the Pollypocket guy.