Origin of the words Xenomorph and Yautja

concretehunter, Yautja, 11 years ago

Where do they come from? I think the word Xenomorph was used in the later films but im unsure.

Mebber, Yautja, 11 years ago

Xenomorph just means something alien(strange)-shaped, it's not an invention of the movie. As for yautja, i dunno.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 11 years ago

The word "xenomorph" comes from Aliens, but was never actually used as a name for the creatures themselves. Gorman uses it to refer to extraterrestrial life in general.

"Yautja" comes from the Steve Perry novelizations of the original AVP comics. It's what the Preds call themselves.

alienxeno, Yautja, 11 years ago

fixed problem.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 11 years ago

Damnit DD, you stole my thunder... Those were the exact references I was going to use.

I aim to please.

DarkLioness, Yautja, 11 years ago

In Predator: Flesh and Blood they call themselves the Hish. I like Yautja better though.

Speaking of which how do you think Yautja is pronounced? Just curious.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

^I know there's an official pronunciation out there somewhere, and it sounds nothing at all how I imagined it. I think it's "WEE-uh-tao;" someone back me up.

"I aim to please."
[joke concerning cocks]

@darklioness

the hish are a older species of yautja that kill only for the sake of killing.they are able to control xenos with a device.

^ Interesting. Was this in that latest AVP comic?

I say it ya-tu-ja. But I should probably say it yaut ja

beotray, Yautja, 11 years ago

i call it Yaot-JA

Well thank you everyone who answered my question.

I had no idea the Hish killed just for the hell of it. In that case I like the Yautja much much better.

I pronounce "Yautja" the same way too.

another fun fact:the hish controle xenos with a device.

i think it scrambles their brain....making them their slaves/watch dogs/troops.

gamefreak33797, Yautja, 11 years ago

Yow-t-JA

^Yep, that how I say it.

Xeno-guard dogs? Isn't that what Weyland/Yutani wanted to do? Lol, I guess the Hish were way ahead of them.

demongeneral, Yautja, 11 years ago

it says how you pronounce it on xenopedia "The species has also been known as yautja (e-wat-ya)" derived from the website itself

Thanks! That's actually been very helpful mate! But if someone could help me source the word that would be great.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

THAT'S what I was trying to remember, thank you.