The most underrated movie

Praetorian, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I know that for many Alien and Aliens are the only true movies of the Alien Universe.
But for me it's those two and also Alien 3, this movie I think it's underrated.
It's a very subtle movie, it was intended to be the melancholic end of the trilogy, unfortunately it was not the end...

This is one of my favourite scenes of all the Alien movies (sound only):

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I think Alien 3 catches a lot of undue shit. It's not a great movie, and it's miles away from Alien and Aliens quality-wise, but the sets and design are fucking beautiful.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I've always agreed with this thought - Alien 3 should be held high with the first two films because it really is not that bad. In my time as a fan, I've seen that the biggest reason people hate it is because it's essentially the first film all over again and that it just instantly gets rid of Newt, Hicks and Bishop when it was made clear by the end of Aliens that they were crucial characters. I myself am not a big fan of that, but Alien 3 could have been a lot worse following their deaths, and I appreciate that it wasn't.

daveberg, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

For me, this is where the franchise ended. And it was a spectacular note to end on.

Alien 3 is a fantastic film. Dark. Moody. Gritty.

Problem is, most 'fans' couldn't see past the world that Cameron had created, with ALiens aplenty and all out action, so a return to the formula that made the original so successful left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

The directors cut of this film makes it an even better watch, kindly explaining away the size issues of the alien seeing as it actually came from an Ox, and not a damn dog.

Definitely one of the most viewd films in the series for me. I love Alien 3.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I agree, for me Alien 3 rates only slightly below its predecessors and is a really worthy addition to the franchise. I loved it dark, grimy setting and the apocalyptic feeling supported by the religious beliefs of the inmates.

The cinematic release was kinda messed up, but the dc is one of the most important dc's ever, simply improving/changing the entire movie, in a pretty good way imho. Things just make much more sense in the dc.

Alien 3 is a great Alien movie for me.

Forerunner, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

daveberg said it best. Though I have never seen the directors cut (which I will likely watch soon after posting this) I have read the changes it brings to the story and it does well to fix a lot of what was wrong with the film when concerning the aliens biology and the bizarre royal facehugger. The one major flaw that left me confused with this film is the mysterious egg onboard the Sulaco at the beginning of the film. The project changed hands way too much and the story suffered some for it, but in the end the film persevered and retains its position as the true end of the trilogy.

Maybe the upcoming video game will likely clear up some of what happened prior to Ripley and the others being jettisoned from the ship since it does take place partly on the Sulaco after the events of Alien 3.

alienxeno, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

i like it but.....i did not like it that newt and ripley died.

Forerunner, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I wasn't particularly impressed with newt in Aliens so her removal from the film was almost appreciated given the setting of the third film. Keeping her alive would have only set the stage for some really sick sort of pedophilia given that the entire complex was populated by murderers and rapists.

Ripley's death provided an acceptable end to the series. Albeit the beginning of the film gave no explanation for the basis of the entire film (most are still arguing about how that damned egg got there) so in the long haul the story should have never occurred that way. Alas, the way it played out following that one major plot flaw was well done and the tone of the film was not lost on me. I'm still a little confused at how the designer of Bishop got his head split open by the wardens assistant near the end of the film and yet seemed perfectly fine even though his ear and most of the left side of his head was hanging free and bloody all while he's pleading with Ripley to give him the embryo.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I liked newts character, she was a good assert for Ripleys further char dev, and she played mostly nice for a kid... mostly.

badapple24, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Alien three was where the seires ended for me as well. Aliens aren't ment to be kept in labs for experiments there dangerous creatures that should be killed, not examined.

Ravagers, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

The Series should've just ended at Alien 3, Alien Resurrection would not be missed.

Xenomorph1212, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I liked Alien and Aliens, I thought Alien 3 and Alien 4 we okay but Alien 3 could have had a better story line and I liked the idea of Alien 4 like the Aliens being kept in the lab, and the scientists and army, but it too could of had a way better story line.

The_Newborn, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Frag Aliens, AlienĀ³ brought back the scare factor to the franchise. It may not be the greatest Alien film around, to some, but to me it was great. *Holds head high*