A split fanbase for Prometheus

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I just realized that the only two forums I frequent are absolute polar opposites when it comes to talking about Prometheus. Almost everyone on the other forum has an infinite amount of gripes with mostly the plot triggers, and we all just seem to love it. I know opinions can't possibly be just black and white, so here are different opinions I've come across:

"It looks as if the Prometheus sequel is indeed moving forward. Anticipation for Ridley Scott’s Alien-esque sci-fi pic was at a fever pitch when the film hit theaters, but reaction was enthusiastically polarized. Some loved that Scott left many questions unanswered and tackled large ideas, while others were distracted by the script’s plot holes and ridiculously inept scientists. I fell somewhere in between, but I’d by lying if I said I wasn’t interested in seeing where Scott plans to go for the follow-up."

"Sometimes, I got the impression that the only way the plot could have progressed was because the characters were stupid and/or jerks. Which I wouldn't have a problem with if it weren't a movie that was trying to be serious or if it was a movie in which that was the whole point, that the characters are stupid and/or jerks."

"there is no point in answering any of the questions posed because there is absolutely no internal consistency with regards the plot or background, making any potential answers meaningless."

"I thought the most unnecessary characters were the ones doing the most bitching (the punk guy, Charlize Theron's character, etc), so if I had to pick something that absolutely annoyed me the most about this movie, it's this. I feel everything could have easily been done differently regarding how each event was set into motion, but for the most part, I liked it. "

^That last one was me, by the way.

Thoughts?

tawganator, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

My thoughts: eh

I learned along time ago not bother paying attention to other peoples opinions when it comes to movies. 9 times out of 10 I will disagree with them.

daveberg, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I had no problems with the film. It was a welcome return to'form' for the franchise. After the total mess that was ALien Resurrection, then the down right insulting AVP films, Prometheus was a breath of fresh air.

I feel people just try to deconstruct films too much. Break away all the layers and find fault with the smallest of things. Bottom line is, unless you're making the film, there's very little your griping will achieve. Just sit back and take it for what it is.

Basically most of the complaints come from fan boys who piss and whine about subtle details like 'Oh nos....da space Jockey dimensions are all wrong, he too small for da chair, its not da same as alien, brah!' When you get that petty, you're not going to enjoy anything becuase you've already settled into a negative frame of mind.

I'm not too enthralled about a sequel to Prometheus, I mean, one survivor and a head going to the Engineers homeworld? C'mon. Just leave it now.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Prometheus had problems, to be sure-lots of stupid characters being key among them-but I found that there was enough good stuff to offset the occasional scripting fuck-up.

The plot was an idiot plot, but the sets and visuals were amazing, and everything involving the Jockeys was interesting. I also thought the acting was pretty good in spite of everything.

But most of all, as a hard-core Alien nerd, I appreciated how much speculation it left. Let's face it-once the DVD hits, we're gonna have shit to talk about for the next year, at least.

Xeno-Hunter, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I love the idea of the new creature but will these thing's soon involve into alien's maybe there ancestor's of alien's i just hope so and can anyone answer this question can a space jockey beat a predator i mean they are sort of the same height so who win's in the fight.

jaguargod, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

What I found amusing was that the announcement of the sequel on IMDB.com said that Rapace and Fassbender are contracted for the next movie, "but screenwriter Damon Lindelof may not be able to return due to his numerous other projects."

Yeah, I'm sure that is the reason he won't be returning.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

@Tawganator: I see what you're saying. I don't bother forming my own personal opinion based on those of others until I've experienced the film myself, but the thing is, sometimes knowing what others think (when taking from trusted sources) can save you from wasting your time. In the past I used to simply keep what they said in mind and then go in and watch a movie. More times than not, good sources can be absolutely correct in saying whether a film is total shit or worth a watch.

I believe the phrase "don't trust the critics" is a bit misguided. All you've got to do is find the critics worth trusting. I mean, look at it this way: Critics are dumbasses when we disagree with them, but once they like a movie that we do, suddenly they're geniuses? Um... what?

@Xeno-Hunter: I refer you to Pv2's old thread...
Dave said:

I feel people just try to deconstruct films too much. Break away all the layers and find fault with the smallest of things. Bottom line is, unless you're making the film, there's very little your griping will achieve. Just sit back and take it for what it is.

Basically most of the complaints come from fan boys who piss and whine about subtle details like 'Oh nos....da space Jockey dimensions are all wrong, he too small for da chair, its not da same as alien, brah!' When you get that petty, you're not going to enjoy anything becuase you've already settled into a negative frame of mind.

This. Just this.

I tend to disagree with the general consensus that Prometheus was a bad film. What I appreciate about most of the opposition I quoted was that they're level-headed people with whom I've spent almost as much time on the internet as you guys, and they're an intelligent lot. What I'm saying is, even as they bash the movie, at least they're doing it with somewhat solid-sounding arguments rather than with the bullshit that you pointed out in your post (and they like to point out just as much as we do that Anderson and the Fuck-Up bros are ass hats, which is appreciated).

And honestly, while we're talking about breaths of fresh air, the contrasting opinions they offer represents that phrase finely.

Deathdrop said:

But most of all, as a hard-core Alien nerd, I appreciated how much speculation it left.

Interestingly, the third quote up there was a response to opinions like this. I know where he's coming from, but I fail to be totally let down by the movie just because of this. Like you said, the good outweighs the bad.

Anyway, on the subject of the sequel, that's also something that magnificently splits the fanbase into whiners, optimists and people who just don't give a shit. I'm somewhere in between the last two.

What I think we shouldn't try to expect is the difference between Alien and Aliens. Why? It's going to be directed by the same guy, of course. I'm personally curious about what exactly Scott's gonna do with a story about a girl and her head.