Peter Weyland TED Talk 2023

Praetorian, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

What do you think of the video? I think it was awsome, actually, a word I dont use often, it was perfect.

This gave me the feeling that Ridley is indeed going for something epic with Prometheus.

Although Alien was an awsome movie I dont think it was as epic as Blade Runner or Gladiator (which I'm not a big fan of).

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Fantastic; brilliant way to introduce us to the fictional universe without spoiling half the movie. JJ Abrams should take note: THIS is how you do promotional material.

PREDATORv2, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Where do I sign up? Wonder if Weyland is hiring, lol.

daveberg, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Fantastic piece.

Glad to see some media finally hit the internet. Yet another link and nod to Alien by the inclusion of Weyland. I'm starting to get really excited now, less than 100 days to go before release.

Anyone notice the floating cameras? That's more advanced technology than we've seen previously. I don't see it as a continuity flaw, though, just another example of how shitty the Alien future is.

If you're rich, you can afford the cancer cure, the anti-gravity flight, the cloned organs... And if you're everyone else, you get jack shit.

The fact that I can extrapolate all this from a 3 minute promotional clip shows some serious world-building chops on the part of the creators.

PREDATORv2, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

You make a good point though DD; we only saw a little peek into the whole alien universe regarding technology. From the first couple of films, each movie was either a lowly cargo ship, or a very utilitarian military vessel.

This also provides a nice explanation for why the space suits look so much nicer in Prometheus than in Alien: The ones in Prometheus are for the corporate bigwigs on an important mission, and the ones in Alien are for the grunt work.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I like to accept the real explanation though. Like in Star Wars, the reason they have better technology in the past than in the future, is that the first three episodes were made years after the last three. But really, for the in-universe explanation, we've never seen what actually goes on on Earth in that future, of Alien and after. We have almost no idea what kind of society we're talking about. I do think, however, that the thinner humans will get split through space, the shittier their societies will become, and that will be reflected in everything they build, wear and so on.

But yeah, the video made me shake a bit.

ash, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I love what they have done with this. Flawless. I think if they do this as good as I'm now thinking I wouldn't mind seeing some more Alien films in the future if they follow this.