alien vs predator 2 performance issuses (Marine campaign)

1130210, Undefined, 14 years ago

Before I start, please nobody call me an idiot or make fun of me for the following question. I know it may sound like I'm being a jerk or something, but every time I happen to post on any forum there is always a jerk who acts like an @$$...

...anyway, for AVP2 the marine campaign runs dreadfully slow. To start my specs are

Vista
Nvidia 8600 GT
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4000+ 2.6 Ghz
2814 Mb of ram
and 55Gb of hard disc space

-I realize these aren't the best computer specifications for running most of any game, but I would assume these would be above the requirements considering this is a 2000-2002 game

-Alien and predator run fine at best settings, Marine only runs at a fairly smooth rate at the lowest settings, and if I wanted to play a game that looked like crap I would have played the 1st game, I'm joking though, the only thing the 2nd game has that the 1st one doesn't is a story

-anyway, I was wondering if this is an OS issue, a graphics issue, please don't tell me I have to upgrade my system, because I have a friend who is playing Marine on high settings with a smooth framerate and he has a single core processor (he is, although, playing it on XP)

-and lastly I tried compatibility mode and cleaning my whole system, and checked for viruses and spyware

Mebber, Undefined, 14 years ago

It's most likely VISTA. Got a similar prob a few weeks ago unless i'm running Win7. Horrorful FPS in the first Marine Mission. This disappeared after the Tutorial-Level, but sometimes i still have some performance slowdowns- but nothing comparable bad to the FPS in the 1. lvl. How much did you proceed in the campaign? Could be a good chance the other marine levels are well-playable, i'm not the only one experienced this (unfortunately i know no fix for the prob).

I think I passed the tutorial level and I went into part of the 2nd level. The fps drop is just astounding, you'll be facing one way turn around and the fps turns to less than 20.

I just started playing the 2nd level and the fps is actually very good. I haven't gotten far in the level but so far everything is great. If you are right about the fps slow in the tutorial level, I wonder why that is? Thanks for this tip, I hope the fps stays up.

Mebber, Undefined, 14 years ago

You will encounter some more FPS-slowdowns, especially on "A Long Detour" 1. lvl, but dont worry- it's playble. I handled it even on hardcore setting, and once yu're through the FPS is well again. It's a shame anyway, Long Detour 1 is one of the best Levels in the game. If you got the time, please note the accurate moment the FPS-slowdowns appear. Would like to know if they're match with the lags i experienced. But i guess there will be a unofficial solution some day... even much older games have been made re-playable my fans...

Leandros88, Undefined, 14 years ago

You can always try beating the shit out of your PC like the angry German kid.