Dan O'Bannon 1946-2009 (Sci-fi screenwriter dies, aged 63)

killswitch, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=26564

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

I just heard about this over at AvPgalaxy...

This blows. He was only 63 years old, so this was very unexpected.

this greatly reduces the chances of us seeing an alien 5 since the principle writer has passed and after reading this article

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/06/10/problems-filling-the-directors-chair-puts-alien-prequel-in-doubt/

Its seems Ridley isnt actually planning on directing but rather producing the alien prequel (not sure weather this is well know, but was new to me).

Tragic death of a very talented man, but if there is one positive to take from this all its the small chance that fox will now be unable to continue ass-raping his franchise. I say this because ridley was very specific about the script writers involved, in fact i think thats why hes claimed to have passed more that 50 sci-fi scripts on.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

Oh well, there goes another good one... Rest in peace and whatever else they say to dead people.

I don't know, personally, i didn't very much want an Alien prequel anyway, Alien without Ripley, after all these years of fuck-ups... I don't know if even the best can make it good.

PREDATORv2, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure Dan O'Bannon would have avoided any further contact with Fox seeing how they wanted to cut him out of the first movie, basically gutting his entire script (which wasn't inharently bad) however I don't think Dan would have sent another scifi script Fox's way.

I did enjoy his style of writing, his death is a loss to the entire scifi movie community.

Predator v2: By the first one i assume you mean Alien and the amendments that were applied to the script by David Giler and Walter Hill (Eventual Producers of Alien)?

If so your mistaken because even though Obannon appeared uneasy about even accepting the Alien script as his own work (Alien Quadrilodgy, Alien, Alien Bonus Features disk) over the next 30 years he took part in everything and anything involving the alien franchise

including
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Rez
Aliens vs Predator
AVP 2 (Requiem)

and was scheduled to work on the 2011 untitled alien prequel.

Had a glance through his wiki page at the titles hes contributed too, i cant confirm this but first impressions from the titles i recognise (nearly all of them) is that Fox was in fact the only corporation he ever worked for.

PREDATORv2, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

Yeah, I was referring to the relationship he shared with David Giler and Walter Hill, I didn't mean that I thought he was cut out from the entire alien franchise, seeing how legally that would be very difficult for Fox to attempt.

alien12345, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

rest in peace!

RESURRECTION, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

this fuckin sucks balls, godspeed to the otherside man, thanks for your contribution to a wonderfull piece of art.

mr_loco, Xenomorph, 14 years ago

RIP