Requiem

Stalker, Yautja, 16 years ago

It's opening day here in Australia for AVP: Requiem, having shortly returned from the cinemas I can honestly say that the film was fantastic. Excellent creatures & mind blowing action scenes putting every film in both franchises since the original Predator to shame. Expect much more from me on this upon my imminent return.

Venom, Yautja, 16 years ago

Dam, hopefully i'll see it tommorow (i wanted to see it today but my family wanted to see the golden compass and i had no choice but to go with them :()

Im really looking forward to it!

the_doctor, Yautja, 16 years ago

im also just back from a screening...wow....it passed all my expectations...i dont understand what people are complaining about..

DeathWraith, Yautja, 16 years ago

Well, i`m sorry to have to doubt two of te most reliable people here, but i`m still not gonna belive that until i watch it myself. Hopefully this week.

The-Wolf, Yautja, 16 years ago

Doubt it all you want but you'll be shocked when you see it.

The movie did surpass alot of the other Aliens and Predators in my opinion. It was just great.

I love how they use the jungle music in the movie.

Plug your ears Giger drone fans but I think these are the best Aliens yet.

P.S. I already made a thread like this.

AVPFREAK, Yautja, 16 years ago

It is quite an extraordinary film.......the action scenes definitely beat the first AVP to bits......and I got to hand it to the Brothers Strause for making it a lot like Cameron's Aliens. The creatures looked fantastic too.

Well except for the aliens.

While the predator looked glorious and believable as a bad@$$ lone hunter, like the first predator, the aliens didn't satisfy me. Some of the things about them had my hand shaking in my hands. For example, in the darkness (which unfortunately most of the fights are in) the xenomorphs looked horrible, I'm sorry but they looked exactly like what they were and have always been: People in big rubber suits. A good deal of the dialogue in the film su.cked too, and though I liked the characters in this film better than in the first AVP, they were entirely one-dimensional. But the scenes I hated I have to admit were covered up by the ones I loved, which involved the Predator always.

So its a great film based on action and gore and fights, but it could have been much better if we got to see more of the aliens looking cool. It ranks up there with Aliens in my opinion.

P.S. there wasn't enough of the Predalien either.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 16 years ago

Just saw it. As a sci-fi geek with nothing better to do, it's my duty to complain about the movie's shortcomings.

Seriously though, it was Ok. Better than the first (is that really saying anything?) but still not terribly good. I didn't hate it, but it dosen't even scratch my top 3 list.

The Wolf kicked serious ass. It was nice to see Predators acting like sociopaths again. The aliens don't get left out, either. They are more brutal in this movie than the last several movies combined.

BUT...
The enitre human story was poorly-acted shit. When Dallas said "Get to the chopper!" I felt like screaming. What the hell is a "chopper"? It's CHOPPA!

I actually got into the human story. Nothing really bothered me. I picked up on a few things like "get to the chopper" but so what?

Nitras, Yautja, 16 years ago

DAMN that sound sweet lucky for me im gonna go see it tonight i have a feeling thats its gonna be more than ive expected.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 16 years ago

I enjoyed how they added the little things from each of the movies, how wolf takes off his mask, like in Predator1 and how the kid asks her mom if the monsters are gone. I enjoyed it a lot, my only problem was the morons behind me commenting on every scene in the movie. What does no talking mean to these people!?!

Deathdrop I agree with you 100 percent I was pretty critical of it too.
And by the way........we can cuss on here now it doesn't get blocked out? Hot damn lol

OTANG, Yautja, 16 years ago

I just came from watching the film.

I don't want to give too much away for those that have not seen it yet.

One thing I noticed was the first half of the film seemed like a B-movie Horror flick. Don't think I mean it was bad, what I mean is that many sequences happened a little fast, and the characters seemed empty. More than likely because they were unknown actors.

Besides the B movie 'feel' this was a fun movie. Lots of Xeno and Yaut'ja action and enough gore to be believable. The Predalien was a bad ass, and so was the lone Yaut'ja. Some of the creatures' details were hidden because of some of the dark scenes, but in my opinion, the Xenos' didn't have that man-in-rubber-suit look. In contrast to some one's remark, I think there was just enough Predalien to make you want more. I liked the references to Yaut'ja world, to Yutani, and to some of the past films and how one is left in shock at the hospital scenes. One thing I did notice was not enough Xeno blood acid producing wounds and collateral damage as in other films. The new weapons are nice. And wow! that blue liquid...

One of my favorite scenes is when after the Wolf killed a few Aliens in the sewers and he busted out of the ground and went after the other Aliens. It was so great to see Aliens and Predators running around a setting I could relate to.

alienwarrior, Yautja, 16 years ago

This movie was great! but the ending sucked though

the ending didn't really suck I didn't think. the whole colonel idea was pretty cheesy though with them getting Wolf's cannon. But does anyone else agree with me that the aliens were AWFUL?!?!?!?!?! I mean they tried to get the same up close shots of the Predalien as Scott did in the first alien, second jaw out and everything. It just looked stupid. One good thing though is that we kinda got to see aliens eat. One alien killed a man in the sewer and used its second jaw to puncture his dead corpse repeatedly in what looked like eating, right before getting diced by badass wolf.

So which thread are we using, this one, or the other Requiem thread?

Stalker, Yautja, 16 years ago

I'm finally back online, & here to give you my full verdict on the film (for those who have yet to see it, it may contain some spoilers).

Sitting in the dimly-lit movie theater on boxing day was an experience to remember. I could feel the excitement building up, the tension in the air could have been cut with a knife. After all the years of waiting, it was finally here. The lights faded out & the film's title blazed onto the screen in an awe-inspiring fashion, fantastically accompanied by a range of predator & alien sound effects that literally had me smiling in sheer glee. Within the film's opening minute, I was hooked. The predalien terrorizing the predator ship was quite possibly one of the best openings to a film I have ever seen. From then on the action hardly let up, & I wasn't one to complain.

The character moments were hardly gripping, but they were interesting enough filler scenes between the bloodthirsty creature battles. In this case, the lack of in-depth characters is overshadowed by the jaw-dropping action scenes that constantly had me on the edge of my seat. I have to personally commend the Strause Bros. for doing such an excellent job in representing the predators in this film. The Wolf is a true sight to behold, being just as much of an homage to the original predators, as he is a unique & awe-inspiring creature in his own right. Everything from his look down to his very mannerisms is a complete throwback to the predators from the first two movies, which I couldn't be happier about.

Alien fans may not be quite so fond of the film though...the creatures have no problem dispatching humans, even the heavily-armed National Guard are completely overwhelmed by the xenomorphs, but the second they come into contact with The Wolf, things take a decidedly one-sided turn. Throughout almost the entire movie, the aliens are virtually lambs to the slaughter, with the skilled predator picking them off like child's play, in certain scenes even beating them down with nothing but his bare hands. No doubt alot of xenomorph fans would be quite outraged at the very thought of this, & to be honest I can't blame them, but from my POV it was still great to finally see the predators being done justice again.

The aliens themselves were done quite well, they looked fantastic, & were genuinely menacing in certain scenes, although they were a little too out of their element running around in modern-day America...I almost had to blink & look twice at the screen after seeing a xenomorph chase a group of teenagers through a high-school locker room.

The ending was also unfortunately extremely predictable...if you've seen the red band trailer, you pretty much already know what's going to happen at the climax of the film, which was something of a let-down.

These minor flaws ultimately can't spoil what is overall the best film in either franchise since the original Predator in my personal opinion. Sure the characters might not have been particularly great, & at times it touched on B-movie territory a little too much, but overall it far exceeded my expectations...here's to hoping that the next AVP movie will be set in space.

Here is a review that sounds like it was made by an alien fan:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoBwTEw4tQ

He doesn't mention some of the matters that most of us here are interested in, but from what he said about the Predator movie, he sounds more like an alien fan.

Lone_Hunter2, Yautja, 16 years ago

Cheesy?! that asshole called the Predator franchise CHEESY! and then he gave it a 2 1/2 out of 5?.... must kill...

That was somewhat my reaction also when i saw it... When is this damn movie gonna be released on DVD, i wanna see it already! How much time till it's released in Europe?

I'm not even bother to watch that idiot.

But I really agree with you there, Stalker. I can see how the Alien fans can be outraged when they fought the Predator. The only thing is, isn't that matched when the Aliens slaughtered other people?

I don't know. I really loved it and think it was balanced real well. The funny thing is my hard core Alien fan of a brother thought the movie was perfect. So did I, I would say this movie, Predator and Predator 2 are all equal with each other to me. After buying this movie and watching it plenty of times it will be harder to choose which film to watch from the 3.

Once I buy this movie I put serious thought of throwing AvP out of my collection.

xeno_slayer, Yautja, 16 years ago

i loved it. what could be better then monsters kicking the shit out of eachother. thats all i ever ask for from these movies.

heres a question. did wolf come to clean up the mess of his own accord? or was he sent by a higher pred.
because it would seem like they would send more than one man to clean up that huge mess.
But if he did come on his own (hich my money says he did) it was probably because of the dead yautja in the ship. i think they knew eachother somehow and wolf went to find him when he learned that the ship had crashed.

thats my theory...

great, great movie.