They taught Humans how to build and were worshiped as Gods

Karo, Yautja, 16 years ago

If the Predators stumbled upon earth accidentally and saw opportunity in teaching humans how to build, does that not mean that they are infinitely superior to humans? I mean, if they where already at the essential peak of their civilization before mankind even knew how to build, doesn't that mean that they gave the humans civilization? Or do you believe that they merely jump started what would have been a much slower, yet unavoidable future?

I know Paul Anderson states that he was influenced by Erich Von Daniken, writer of Chariots of the Gods, but In my opinion it may have been a little much to say that Predators played such a large part in getting us to stand on our own two feet.

I am interested in other peoples opinion of that particular historical flashback scene in Paul Anderson's AVP.

Stalker, Yautja, 16 years ago

I personally thought the storyline with the predators being at the base of modern human civilization was completely horrible, & I would like nothing more than to simply erase it from my mind & pretend it never happened.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 16 years ago

I had thought before that a possible link could be made between predators and egiptian gods, because there are similarities in appearance and they HAVE been hunting humans for a very long time, but never that they are the base of the human civilisation, just that they hunted there, someone saw them and called them gods, just like that in present days they were called devils and demons (Predator1; Predator2).

To say that both of them, aliens influenced human civilisation on such a large scale (because there are pyramids allover the world) is just... bad... You could as well say that predators genetically engineered us as the perfect hoasts for aliens... But it`s just a stupid idea, if predators used humans to hunt aliens, why would they come and hunt humans, it doesn`t make sense, it`s a very bad idea...

K1LLA_4_H1RE, Yautja, 16 years ago

i think anderson over did it by making preds gods to humans and being the reason for human technology and stuff. preds are hunters not teachers they should be kept that way.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 16 years ago

Giving us tips for building and technology is one thing. Teaching us literally everything? Now that's another thing.

I consider it almost pure bullshit, but it leads to the blooding ritual, which I do consider canon.

x_saysell, Yautja, 16 years ago

I genraly thought AvP wasnt to bad but that whole "they taught us to build" bullshit got me propa pissed off i hope there is nothing like that in AvP 2

predatoress, Yautja, 16 years ago

I disagree with you. In every mythology you can find that the god(s) taught people eg how to use fire, how to hunt etc. and I think that link could be drawed between predators and humans. But then again, I've read Daniken's books among other pseudoscience so... If I wouldn't be too tired at the moment I would give better argument to this but that's my opinnion lol

MrXeno, Yautja, 16 years ago

If they taught humans how to build, then they probably taught them how to pee. Gah, random but most things humans learned back then didn't always come from a genius, but from studying how animals and insects survived and all when these humans were stuck with something. And when i mean study i mean such as studying birds who made nests and then humans used that idea to build a home... If you all know what i mean...

I'm glad to see most hear what I'm trying to say. In response to predatoress, don't get me wrong, I take no issue with the theory of extraterrestrial intelligence advancing primitive life on earth. I love 2001 and the story of Prometheus and all that, all I was trying to say is that within this franchise which has posed man against these Predators in such an adversarial manner, it seems like their role is a little less clear when they were the particular alien race to further civilization.

I mean, couldn't it have been some other space bearing aliens? I just don't think it was really necessary and somewhat confusing, although I must admit its one of the most esthetically pleasing shots in the film as far as I'm concerned.

Nitras, Yautja, 16 years ago

I go on what bloo said its bullshit. They may be the worlds mightiest hunters but being god thats another thing. " if it bleeds you can kill it" no matter how high tech they are they can be killed/god cant

Meh... Predess... don`t contradict the subleader! But anyway, from what you say, it would be alright with you if they made a movie where they showed a predator called Jesus and his 12 alien adversarries, trying to teach humans how to love or so? Because you know, in mythology, there was this guy called Jesus, and for all we know he could`ve been a Predator, cos you can (whateva expression you used here, plus the next word, yes, even if it makes no sense) link! It was a really bad touch, the way they made Aliens and Predators have such a big part in the human civilisation development, but it wasn`t the worst, nor the most important part of the movie, even though it screwed with the Alien franchise quite a bit.

And for the record Predess, your fiance demands that you stop sending him to the corner, cos it`s a really scary corner.

Lone_Hunter2, Yautja, 16 years ago

nooo...predss is merely talking about cultures before B.C. not during A.D. like acient tribes that only knew how to build huts, not show up and call tthemselves Jesus or any of the twelve apostelles(I should really explain myself better lol), or anything that has to do with any of todays religion.

I liked that scene. it just kneeded more of a logical explanation.

(sorry if this gets ya mad DW)

Now things are getting interesting haha i don't care how illogical and non-serious of a statement it was, but the notion of jesus being a predator is some of the funniest/koolest shit I've heard all day.

But seriously this is kool, there was like a mild division in thought, that is awesome.

K1LLA_4_H1RE, Yautja, 16 years ago

jesus was a pred?!?! hmm... nope doesnt surprise me at all.

but anderson did over did it by making them gods thats a fact.

Stalker, Yautja, 16 years ago

To be honest, the whole "Predators were the Gods of man" plot was completely ridiculous & historically inaccurate, despite many of Anderson's claims, as there were obviously no carvings of predators on any of the temples or pyramids of the descendants of the original civilization.

And the only link between xenomorphs and any of the mythologies that involved pyramids is the word "serpent", because the creator goddess of the aztec mythology was named Coatlalopeuh/Coatlicue (she who has dominion over serpents/she of the serpent skirt) and her most common aspect was composed of numerous serpents, but still, none of this resembles the xenomorphs. Oh and apart from the creator goddess, she also enjoyed killing stuff, much like our God today, and liked wearing skulls, like the predators do...

The single similarity i can find in the end is the egyptian gods with non-human heads, because predators could be represented as having human bodies and animal heads, but they vaguely look like any animal...

Plus them teaching humans about civilisation is a bad idea, did i mention that?

Lone_Hunter2, Yautja, 16 years ago

uhhhh.... dude it's just a movie, the scene was created to deepen the history of the Predators and the Aliens for both franchises, but I get what your saying...soyou should also remeber the Aztecs and myains and you should watch Mel gibsons movie Apocolypto (if you havent already) cause they come pretty close to the movie idea of the predators being responible for us IMPROVING our civilasation.

NOTE: the aztecs sacrifced helpless villagers in a way that was used to support the movie's made up history for the predator by using this part of human history.(dont get me wrong I'm still a loyale fan of these awsome sci-fi creations).

Indeed it`s just a movie, not a great movie like the ones before it, a wrongly done movie, without much documentation and with a very bad idea in it. And the only similarity between the human sacrifices and the AvP story is the hole in the chest, because the heart would be cut out of the chest. They could have said that such a thing started the whole cult, but whatever, it was a pretty bad movie, i will try to stop blabbing about it.