Why are they getting worse?

MonsterOfEnergy, Undefined, 16 years ago

Hello, I am new here, I have read the rules, which are as follows; No bashing, No excess posting, Try to be polite, Try to spell correctly (This isn't Myspace) Try to stay on topic, Avoid trouble, report all issues to the moderators, and no copyright infringement.

Now to the topic, Aliens Versus Predator Two looks like its going to be laughable, it bothers me that classic horror movies are being brought back in the form of cheap horribly written sci-fi channel worthy movies. Look at Alien, and look at Predator, those movies were interesting, non revealing, they left you to imply. The youth of the nation is only interested in action, blood and guts, they are making horrible movies, and they seem to be getting worse. The only good movies are the Bourne series and nothing else, no classic horror anymore. The only way to resurrect such classic and fundamental movies is not by the quality of the graphics, or the violence, but rather the story itself, the scripts, and most importantly, the writer. These aspects are weak in todays movies, who else agrees?

daveberg, Undefined, 16 years ago

Key here - aliens versus predator 'looks' like it's going to be bad.

Bottom line, none of us can judge whether it'll be good or bad just from a two minute trailer.

Onto your other points - i agree, hollywood has obviously ran out of steam and exhausted alot of its potential to create good movies using the more subtle approaches - less in your face extremes and more focus on script, character development and atmosphere. Now days, the more blood and gore, the better, it's almost like they are compensating for the lack of Good dialog and characters but stuffing in as much extremism as you can get in a 120 min movie.

DeathWraith, Undefined, 16 years ago

I already posted in a few other topics kinda the same thing you said, so i agree, but still, the stuff in this movie look good and after AvP it`ll be refreshing and i`ll dance around the house til i trip and break my arm when i watch it.

Now to my favourite topic, YOU CAN`T HAVE A VIDEO AS A SIG. Thank you.

Yes, as mentioned, please no embedding video on the forum please.

Thanks

MonsterOfEnergy, Undefined, 16 years ago

I apologize for the video in my signature.

Alien Versus Predator Two looks like it would be worse, because there is a female Yuatja with a whip, a dummy looking Yuatja/Alien hybrid, and a horribly shot fight scene with a Yuatja choking two Aliens looking back and forth at them.

No worries about the video.

Anyway, back to the topic, like i said, NO-ONE here can judge what this film will be like, we've literally seen a little over 2 minutes of footage, once we've all sat through the film in its entirety, then we can sit back and dissect it, judging it for its merits and downfalls, all we've got right now is assumptions.

I cast my mind back to the early teasers of AVP - everybody went crazy, singing the films' praises when no-one had actually seen it. Turns out, the filme was a piece of drivel.

Moral - never judge a book by its cover.
(In this case, never judge a movie, by its trailer)

-Bloo-, Undefined, 16 years ago

Well, an exception here is AVP1 because both its trailer AND the movie were dissapointing.

City-Hunter, Undefined, 16 years ago

I couldn't agree more, Dave.

But I have to say, Masterofenergy, There's no female yautja. Well not in the trailer atleast. You have to watch the movie before you can judge it.

I personally think its gonna be great. A complete turn-around from the first AvP. But as that has been said, we all must wait and see. And I don't sense the element of a cheap sci fi channel movie by watching the AvP Requeim trailer.

Namicole, Undefined, 16 years ago

I agree it seems like all this world has to offer eney more is Violence and sex...

Definitely don't mind the latter......

-Bloo-, Undefined, 16 years ago

I really hope they didn't turn Halloween into the pieces of shit that Hollywood calls horror (a.k.a., way too much swearing, some blood/gore, no atmostphere and a bullshit story... maybe some twists here and there).

I really hope they didn't turn AVP2 into that stuff aswell. I'm actually excited about Aliens Vs Predator now, but I can't say I still don't have doubts.

I agree completely with Dave when it comes to judging something before you've seen the whole thing.

Broken_Tusk, Undefined, 16 years ago

I agree with alot you said monster, however I think something that needs to be pointed out is the "non-revealing" aspect. In alien and predator sequels you can't hide the creatures anymore, we already have seen them in their entirety and as the creature aspect there is nothing more to hide. You can however add new creatures i.e any form of alien hybrids or different looking yautja and also new weapons for predators. To me that is why I am excited about AvP2 because it looks like they truly did go back to the roots as well as adding some nice touches. The pred-alien doesn't appear to be a cheesy hybrid and its not a new concept to alarm us either, its there in the books, comics, and games.

Now as far as modern horror, yes it appears to be dead! I am an avid fan of horror movies and everything i've seen recently has been disappointing. The only horror movie I really enjoyed in recent years is "The Descent" and a few others.
The descent went back to the less is more concept by trying to implicate scare affects without seeing what was lurking around the corner. It had believable characters and a pretty descent story. I dont care if I get flamed for liking that movie it was in a class all its own compared to whats been released.

Broken_Tusk, Undefined, 16 years ago

sorry for the long post, just got going and couldn't stop.....

black_warrior, Undefined, 16 years ago

was going to say something but Bloo, Broken_Tusk, and Dave covered it all for me.

btw Broken_Tusk, i definatly wont hate you for likeing "The Descent" I thought it was great movie also.

City-Hunter, Undefined, 16 years ago

As many of you, I am a die hard fan of every kind of horror films. I think our only hope for modern horror movies is Rob Zombie dispite his first film which was still watchable.

I think AvP2 is just getting more old school in the fact that it might actually be a bit scary compared to the kiddy movie, Pual Anderson's AvP. I think thats why the Strause brothers have been boasting about how AvP2 is more of a horror.

For exaple: The same Audiance who saw AvP for some reason will go see AvP Requeim. Once they sense the horror elements in the movies they'll be drawn into the because because the first AvP had none of that.

That is why they (Strause brothers) say alot about AvP2 being a horror movie. So to cap this, its not much of a horror movie. Just it can be compared to the originals like Predator, Alien, Aliens, and Alien3 because they have that horror elements.

Stalker, Undefined, 16 years ago

I personally think AVP: Requiem has alot of potential, much more than the original film either way. The only downfall at this point in my opinion seems to be the cast...not one of them I would call particularly interesting, which is a let down.

Some of the mentioned scenes (such as an alien dragging swimmers underwater in a pond) sound like they're going a little far though, & are starting to lose the genre that the creatures were originally part of.

Bilogicalpred, Undefined, 16 years ago

i almost said the same thing about the sci fi channel in other topics. i tottaly argree.

I disagree about the cast - the main female lead in Reiko Aylesworth - she is a fantastic actor, more than capable of filling in for a now absent Ripley, anyone who has watched 24 since season 2 should appreciate her talent.

I hear mentions of Rob Zombie and his vision on modern horror - well, so far, it seems like my Beloved Halloween has been butchered by the music artist turned director, has not had good reviews at all, so if this has anything to go by, i wouldn't want him touching the Alien franchise.

Besides, to be totally honest, i didn't want to see another AVP made. Resurrection opened the coffin and AVP firmly nailed it shut for the Xenomorph fans out there. This comic book bullshit just annoys me really, no matter how good the trailer looked, this film will never compensate for another Alien movie, in Hollywood, when is enough, really enough?

K1LLA_4_H1RE, Undefined, 16 years ago

so far i like what i seen i have full confidence in the directors of this movie and the story pred ship crash's in usa town aliens run loose with a predalien pred shows up and whoops some ass... sounds like a good script to me i know avp 1 sucked for alot of you guys but try and have some faith for the second film.

That's not a script, that's just a small description of part of the film - legit actors and dialogs will make or break this film, it's not just about the action, it's about story and atmosphere etc.

K1LLA_4_H1RE, Undefined, 16 years ago

still very good from wha have een and guessing.