wristblade mechanism

OTANG, Yautja, 17 years ago

in your opinion, how do you think the wristblades on the gauntlet extend or what kind of device do u think is used to extend the wristblades from its retracted position.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

Unknown, Yautja, 17 years ago

Some thing along the lines of a soloniod. If any one knows what one of them is.lol.

Katam.jpg

.:MESSAGE BOARD, RPG RULES & INFORMATION:.

sure its a controller. but for what? electrical, pneumatic, magnetic, hydraulic?

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

Well since preds carry a power pack thing I would probaly think elecrtical.

Katam.jpg

lol sorry ye. well a solenoid uses electrical current coiled to create magnetic field so then u mean it uses magnetic propulsion to engage from its retracted position.

i agree with that. i hade same idea. infact i beleive thats how it is able to launch the wristblades in AvP, if we even consider that movie as a resource anymore XD. magnetic propulsion is in experimental stages for new weapons.

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

predatoress, Yautja, 17 years ago

& same in English, rather in Finnish so I would even know what on Earth you're talking about lol

ForHonor.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/predatoress/ghosteyes.wmv

Ye.lol. Well atleast that is my view on this any ways.lol.

Katam.jpg

predatoress, Yautja, 17 years ago

& same in English, rather in Finnish so I would even know what on Earth you're talking about lol

And why the heck it posted twice?! Oh well, I just keep rubbing these two sticks together to get fire... lol

ForHonor.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/predatoress/ghosteyes.wmv

ha when it gets down to the nitty gritty no one answers lol

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

Stalker, Yautja, 17 years ago

I have heard of the blades being extended & retracted by a spring mechanism. In the extras for the original predator on DVD it even mentiones the spring mechanism used to extend the blades. Magnetic propulsion I'm not too sure about.

stalker.jpg

im not talking about movie props. well pretend u were designing them. how would u make them both lightwieght enuff to be attached to ur arm and functionally lethal in the hunt. the guantlets are about a foot long give or take a couple inches, about 3.5 inches tall, and about 4 inches wide. not including the area that attaches to the arm.

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

Well, they may be spring loaded. if it works in real life, then it could deffinatly work in the AvP universe.

Drenton.jpg
Come out F@ggerstrom! I know your in there!
-Conan O Brien, 2006.03.10

i think it might be some rotd of servo moret or preshorised gas. a teloscopic blaid is goes wethout menchan. hum i thin that the blaid is atached to the back of the gauntlet wit ha meterial with alot of memary posably ruber of some kind. the he blade is hollow and filled with hig preshor gas to extend the blad. when the gass is releesed the preshour dropes and the rubery typ material pulls the blade back into is sheethed position. well thats my hunch anye way

Backinaction.jpg

-Bloo-, Yautja, 17 years ago

I believe it's extended the same way a Plasma Caster is controlled. Or, am I talking about something else? If I am, my bad...

00Bloo_sig06.5.PNG
*Sarcastic Voice*: "To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the Mental House just got caught."

siliconsara, nope thats not what i ment. there is a topic for what u are talking about soemwhere else.

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

well thats good idea too. i dont see enuff room for using a hydralic system, where would the liquid be stored. then a gain, it could have expansive properties.

i wonder once the blades are extended, how could they stay rock solid and stable on such a small base. normally if u have a recipricating object in its extended mode, it tends to be unstable or even wobble because there is little to stabalize it where it is attached.

Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

siliconsara, Yautja, 17 years ago

If you are all talking about how a Predator "tells" his blades to come out, I always thought it would be by motion sensors on certain arm muscles. If they flex a certain muscle, the mechanism would spring out the blades. Flexing another would contract them.

This does have real life implications, whereas a man who lost his hand in combat, was given a new type of hand that rotates and opens and closes by flexing his muscles:

Current motorized prosthetics are controlled by myoelectric signals -- when the user flexes a muscle, an electronic signal on the skin is picked up by sensors causing the battery-powered motor to move the arm.

As for how it's controlled, I think it's a simple electrical system. And there are probably some bits of simple springs and hooks that release and pull back determining on if the Predator pulls out the blades or puts them back in. Kinda like how a mousetrap is set up.

lol my ancer to the space ishue is that as you probs no as technolagy gets better every thing gets smaller mobile telaphones fore example. obveously preds are more advanced than us buy a long shot thus they can fit more advanced tech into a smaller space. you no nanno enganeering an stuff lol

Backinaction.jpg