Which film in the series had the best Special Effects?

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 17 years ago

I mean for its time period. Which one(s) utilized and created new technologies to create viscious monsters in the most convincing way that best altered the course of filmmaking? I would have to say the original Alien. Like Dan Obannon stated "It looks like The Oddysey, only darker." I don't know of any servos or other mechanics up to that time that worked as well. What say you?

Blood-Bath3.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~
http://www.freewebs.com/shanezilla

TDN, Undefined, 17 years ago

I agree with you, Alien definetly. Most of the other movies, even Aliens (and its my favorite) looks dated for these times. Alien though, when I first saw it if I hadn't known before that it was made in 1979, I would have though it was a new movie that just came out in 2000 or something.

TDN2.jpg
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

aliens made great use of miniatures.so id go for that.great sfx.see the bonus disc on the quadrilogy box set to see how they did the queen,genius.

harrigansig.jpg

HuntersMoonMEMBER-byceltic102.jpg

I have to agree with you AVPFREAK, Alien in my opinion had the best special effects. I watch that movie to this day and it doesn't seem out of age in special effects. I most definately prefer costumes and make up over CGI technolgy used today. When the Space Jockey ship was investigated, man I marveled at how extraordinary it looked. Everthing from the Space Jockey ship, Alien eggs, face hugger, chestburster, and finally the Alien its self all seemed real to me. Definately Alien should take the wining in special effects.

brokentusk.jpg

Design-wise, "Predator" I think would rival "Alien". The effects maestro in Predator was also one of the ones in Aliens, Stan Winston. He is one of my favorite effects people, and his work on Predator is some of the best I have seen. The predator hunter kit was amazing, with all of the weapons working just right.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Of course I choose Alien! Who in the right mind would pick that spin-off movie, err, whatever it's name was... (not Aliens) whichever one that was, it was horrible! (Not any of the movies in the official series, that one py Spin-off one... I can't remember it's name). In my opinion, Predator is second after Alien, and then Aliens.

Do you like Peanut Butter?
00Bloo_sig05.PNG

Yeah Stan Winston is my biggest inspiration his work is amazing without him we wouldn't have the queen alien look the way she does, or we wouldn't have the same predator we have today. Special thanks to Stan Winston and his wonderful creations.

brokentusk.jpg

stan winston=legend

only one other fx guy gets even close,rick baker.both are the best fx gurus in history,both broke the mould in fx technology.

harrigansig.jpg

HuntersMoonMEMBER-byceltic102.jpg

Hey Broken Tusk, haven't seen ya here in a while. I agree with you on everything about Stan Winston. Next to the alien and predator visual effects, my favorite special effects are the ones that, yet again, Stan Winston did in Jurassic Park. But anyway, the effects in AvP, while certainly not nearly as good as those in the first Alien and the first Predator, were very well done I think. Though the monsters were great, its not so much as them, it's the landscapes. The pyramid, Antarctica, everything was just so well executed. The CG had improved VASTLY from A: Resurrection.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

Yeah it's been a long time since I've been here; what maybe a year now. Anyways I have to agree with you yet again about AVP. The predator was not quite well done, when Scar revealed his face to Lex I thought it looked horribly cheesy and fake, compared to the oringal Predator where as all his facial features look terrifyling real. Some of the CGI done in AVP was impressive but I would still perfer costume and make up.

brokentusk.jpg

The Hero Alien puppet and the 16 foot Queen Alien were amazing in Alien vs. Predator.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

I actually thought AVP's effects were quite weak in places. In certain scenes if u look closely u can see the CG aliens hopping all over the place in a completely unrealistic manner, & it completely blows the effect. But onto there suitwork & animatronics. The predator & alien suitwork & costumes were passable. The alien's hands had big rubbery looking fingers that seemed completely out of place with the rest of it's body & seemed rather an extra piece of kit clipped from the muppets or something rather than lethal weapons.

The predators also had their share of visual & effects faults in AVP. In the scene where scar leaps across the tops of the statues & goes right over the heads of the characters, then cloaks. He looks like he is trying to swim or something, & it looks completely ridiculous. The predator's faces also looked horrible. The first time I watched AVP, as scar began to remove his mask, I was expecting to see the mean, menacing bad-@$$ creature that I had been familiar with for so long. But rather, what I got was a creature which somewhat resembled the old design, although it appeared to have a Mr. Bean expression on it's face. Almost as if it was a mentally disabled predator & I was just sitting in the cinema thinking in the back of my mind "oh hell, what have they done to it?"

But anyway, in my opinion the movie that had the best special effects for the time was probably the original Predator. Yes, the actual creature suit was done better for it's time in Alien, but there were alot of things in Alien that blew the effect. For example when the Alien approaches Lambert after killing Parker, it appears it if it is just drifting, it's movements were, literally, snail-paced. Or the scene where Ripley finally managed to blow it out of the airlock but the cable from the harpoon was still embedded in it, technically it should have melted from the acid blood & the alien should have been blasted straight off into space, but that's not the point. The part which blew the effect was when the alien got pulled back in & bumped against the side of the nostromo, it looked like an action figure dangling on a piece of string, & completely blew the effect in my opinion.

The original Predator had hardly any faults on the visual side, the creature itself was excellently done & looked incredibly lifelike, even by "modern" standards of effects, & with Kevin Peter Hall working his brilliance to breathe life into the creature & make it the ledgendary hunter we know today, it's a shame he passed on. In my opinion, no-one could replicate the amount of depth he gave the character, all of his movements were excellently done, he was the definitive predator in my opinion. everything fell into place when the movie was finally realeased. There were hardly any cheaply done effects, everything was spot on.

stalker.jpg

I do have to agree with Stalker (as usual). I'm just gonna point out any slight thing I notice every time when I watch Alien.

I notice, that when Brett is going to get the cat, You can see the alien dangling as though it was hanged. And there was also when it was pulling brett up, it just floated up really fast

Drenton.jpg
Come out F@ggerstrom! I know your in there!
-Conan O Brien, 2006.03.10

Which movie's effects costed the most? Inflation included.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

most of Alien's effects were actually quite cheaply done. Some of the vent-like appliances on the walls of the nostromo were actually tv's stapled to the wall. The alien itself was even made out of cheap material in some parts. The transcleuscent lips were actually made from stretched & shredded condoms.

stalker.jpg

predatoress, Undefined, 17 years ago

I agree with Stalker but damn, couldn't you let Mr. Bean without mentioning in this manner?! Even I HIGHLY agree of the look-alike but I laughed and coughed my intestines out, as you could hear lol

ForHonor.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/predatoress/ghosteyes.wmv

Whoa, Stalker where'd you find that out? Is that on the Quadrilogy, if so, I think I need to watch it again.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

CuteFaceHugger, Undefined, 17 years ago

Alien was the best because it first introduce the Alien and did a good job with it to and i loved the facehugger part and the Space Jockey and everything else

CuteFaceHuggersStalkerSig.jpg
MessageBoard Rules

Proud to be of The Hive
RUNNERS ROCK!