Paul Anderson- Why the Hate?

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Look, before any of you try to get me banned for what I'm about to say, I would like to also say that, yeah, he did screw up Alien Vs. Predator in most points, but that's not the point of this thread.

Paul Anderson is a good guy, he made at least one good film (I think it was Event Horizon or something like that), and you have to admit, Alien Vs. Predator is still watchable. I don't hate him (that was what may get me banned) for screwing up most of Alien Vs. Predator, he's a good person. Besides, you guys have to rememember that it was the first actual (official) AVP movie ever (probably not, but you know what I'm talking about), it must have been hard for him. Alien Vs. Predator 2 will probably learn from the first's mistake. I mean, not all Cross Over movies are good; look at Freddy Vs. Jason. That had a lot of stuff fans didn't want to see. But Freddy Vs. Jason is still movie that's watchable.

Paul Anderson also made a few other good movies, so you shouln't be hating on him, hate on the bad movie! (Ok, I know what some of you may say. "But what if someone does something bad, like murder? Blame the murder for happening, not the murder?" Ok, that's totally different. For movies and murders or anything else like that, it's all commen sense, so don't go there. Also, I know he did some other bad things like probably not listening to other ideas, but that's another question)

All this is is just a question. State your ideas and I'll listen.

00Bloo_sig06.5.PNG

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the Mental House just got caught."

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Paul Anderson can certainly direct, and he seems like a nice guy from the DvD commentary. I certainly wouldn't hate someone like that.

He had some really great ideas, but Fox stuck their noses in and mucked it all up. Maybe he wasn't ready for a huge project like this; I don't know. But AvP was not JUST his fault, not by a long shot.

Bloo, you won't get banned for your opinion. That's just ridiculous.

deathdrop1.jpg

Red_Machine, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I was expecting RE to have the Redfields in it and Leon and whatever. The only characters that re from the games are Jill Valentine (fine-ass actress, the shortest skirt I've ever seen in my life and English, too!), Carlos Oliviera and the Ashfords, but "Daddy" is a good guy in the film. The new film is probably going to have Leon in it, but before they even think about Claire it's gonna be Cindy from Outbreak. I mean WTF!?

redmachine4ux.png

Blade_Hunter, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Did I really already say I didn't hate him? Huh, I don't remember that, but oh well I see what your getting at about waiting for more of his work.

bladehunter.jpg

Stalker, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

actually I hated resident evil far more than AVP. At least AVP had some interesting points, & we all had great anticipation for a movie of it already. Resident evil on the other hand, should have stayed a game franchise, or at least should have had someone competent to make it. The games were excellent, almost flawlessly designed masterpieces that even put classic horror movies like The Thing to shame. The movie was fairly unexpected, at the time I saw it, I hadn't even heard about it previously, but my expectations were still sky-high. Then the movie turned out to be about a bunch of mercenaries infiltrating a high tech research facility & all this rubbish, that's not what resident evil is about. Sure they used some basic stuff from the games, like the licker creature, & the t-virus, but overall, it was a shoddy "hollywood" take, on what was a gripping, visceral horror experience in the games.

stalker.jpg

hyroglphsarenice, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

i know you dont hate him you said so ; ) and for me i was saying i dont have a opinion. until he has proven to me to have no potential i will have a opinion. but the thing is the scale in which i "like" directors is a very high standerd. i mean it is very hard to beat stanly kubric

(for simplistic use just call me hyro)

Blade_Hunter, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I don't hate Anderson, just dissapointed with how he handled AVP. Not too happy with Resident Evil either but still don't hate.

bladehunter.jpg

Yes, I know, I respect your reasons Stalker (I didn't like Resident Evil much either...), but do you hate him or not?

EDIT: Oh cr@p, sorry for double posting...

00Bloo_sig06.5.PNG

I know Hyro, I'm not saying I hate him. I'm just saying that if you're hating on a movie, don't hate on Anderson, hate on whatever movie you hate (in this case it's most likely Alien Vs. Predator)!

00Bloo_sig06.5.PNG

I know exactly what u mean Bloo. I get that same feeling every single time I play one of the resi games, in particular, the original game (the Gamecube remake & the PSone classic) & resident evil 4. The same way that the original predator movie, or Aliens, gives u that certain special feeling when u watch it, playing resident evil does the same sort of thing, but in a slightly different way. But, as with AVP, paul anderson didn't capture any measure of that feeling whatsoever, & both the resident evil & AVP movies ended up being merely shadows of their former selves.

stalker.jpg

Unknown, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

i agree 100% with stalker

cory.jpg
.:Bad Blood Slave of Balatu:.

reason #1. He screwed up AVP

reason #2. he screwed up resident evil much worse than AVP in the first place

reason #3. he tries to make movies too "hollywood" & loses their true appeal (such as in resident evil in particular)

reason #4.
He might have certain good ideas for things but not even use them & instead use sub-par material instead. (there were some excellent scenes that were originally going to be in AVP, such as a pair of preds that find their casters, but then get ambushed by aliens, & one of them gets grabbed & dragged up the wall, pitch black style)

I don't technically hate him, but lets say that there are alot of ppl's movies I would want to see before his. There are more reasons as to why, but I can't really remember most of them right now. Paul Anderson's shallow movies have warped my mind, d@mn things, lol.

stalker.jpg

hyroglphsarenice, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

personally i dont hate him. i just dont care for him. but in truth every single great director has done a "bad" movie. so until i see more of andersons work i wont judge him. got to give every one a fair chance you know ; )

(for simplistic use just call me hyro)

AVP was a disapointment to hardcore fans like quinn was saying, but the movie has some good touches. I dont hate Paul Anderson, I just think directing isnt for him.

I agree, Resident Evil should of been a tribute to the original games. Other than that, people who have never played the game series probably thought it would be exactly like the games. FAR FROM THAT. Sure, it has the basics, but not the same feeling (and when I say feeling, I don't mean dying and losing lives while not trying to press the start button to go to the bathroom, heheh, I mean a certain feeling I can't describe right now. What, I'm not that crazy, right?)

00Bloo_sig06.5.PNG

siliconsara, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I slightly agree with AVPFREAK. Anderson is also known for his attention to detail in settings; from The Hive of RE to the Pyramid of AVP.

What is the product that is AVP was not all Anderson's fault. Some of the plotholes and even some backdrop into the Predator culture were cut either because it would of made the movie too long or it was because of that pesky PG-13 movie rating.

I disagree when Anderson said he was aiming for PG-13. He was going to have naked Predators coming out of a state of suspended animation for cripes sake (which that too, was cut obviously). I don't think that's PG-13 material. He was also going to include a funeral scene, show the Predators pump the Queen full of drugs to explain why the Alien reproductive cycle was so fast in the film, and also to explain why Scar didn't know about the chestbuster in him (in an earlier cut, Scar knew the chestbuster was inside him; he was in denial and wanted to hold out until the very end; he was going to commit suicide but died by the Queen before he could stab his chest).

Anderson had lots of ideas, good ones too. But they all ended up on the editing room floor. Some of the blunders like the 10 minute time theory (The Aztecs did not use the time frame of a minute) was probably his fault; but the flop of AVP cannot sit on just one pair of shoulders. Some of FOX's excs had a say in this...the suit and tie business dealers out for money. They can really hamper on a guy with a lot of ideas but so little time to work with, and such a low rating too.

Crow, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Sorry AVPFREAK, but I'll have to disagree.

Regardless of whether or not he's an exciteable or creative person as a human being, if this creativity does not show up in the film in any other way than camerawork then it's just not worth it. I may have only seen AvP, but from what I have seen I can safely say that he degraded the xenomorph queen into nothing but a re-hashed Jurassic Park 2 T-Rex, and in a sense destroyed the predator's inspirational solo tactics by placing three of them into a squad. I also found the actions he made the xenomorphs perform to be a little sub-par compared to what they have done in previous films, they appeared to be lacking a great deal of the stealth and cunning which they are so well known for, and they flailed aimlessly WAY too much. I also disliked how for a large part of the film the predators remained uncloaked, especially since it is their greatest feature.

His camera shots were quick and shaky, and they didn't allow the viewers to really breathe in the full shots of the animatronic suits which designers put so much effort into. The film recieved more than enough funding, so I do not understand why he resorted to the same camera actions seen in low-budget films to disguise their flaws or make highly gaudy objects appear real.

Additionally, the film was riddled with continuity errors, and as director it is partially his responsibility to at least make certain that such flaws never see an editing room.

So, in a sense I do not hate him as a director as a whole, I do not know his films, but I DO hate what he did to AvP and I believe he should NEVER touch either series again.

45324912.jpg

"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone." - Michael Corleone

I do not hate him. I do not really care much if the movies are "correct". He does them his way and I watch movies for the fun of it. Not to go throught them and pick out bad bits and complain. Resident Evil, AVP and many more movies I like and I see nothing wrong with them.

Katam.jpg

.:MESSAGE BOARD, RPG RULES & INFORMATION:.

Quinn, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I WAITED FOR YEARS TO SEE AN AVP MOVIE FOR GODS SAKE AND I READ AVP BOOKS AND EVERYTHING AND THAT MOVIE AFTER YEARS OF WAITING WAS SH!T! that is why i hate paul anderscum

"This time the B!tch Is Back

AVPFREAK, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Paul W. S. Anderson is one of the greatest visual directors ever to breathe. He makes the right shots. He makes all of his films asthetically pleasing. He has a great character. Watching the documentaries on how Alien vs. Predator was made, I realized that he was an overly excited fanboy who respected the material. He has so many good points that all his bad points are always overlooked by myself. I am an aspiring filmmaker, I don't know if any of you guys realize that, but the one I would compare myself to the most would have to be Paul Anderson. He's fresh. He's excited. He's creative. He actually is very, very similar to myself in many aspects. Even if you think his films are too mainstream, you have to admit that he has injected a good deal of style into them. He is actually a major inspiration for me and my filmmaking. I think he's immensely talented.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~
http://www.freewebs.com/shanezilla

AVPFREAK, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with Deathdrop. Also with Katam. I can get enjoyment out of almost every movie, and I walked out of AVP completely satisfied.

Blood-Bath3.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~
http://www.freewebs.com/shanezilla