Forget AVP - this fan film owns it!!

daveberg, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

For those of you who haven't seen it - go and check out this fan film called 'SEED' it walks all over AVP in my opinion, and it's only a fan film!!

Check it out Here

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

Crow, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Well, I downloaded it, watched it for myself, and to be honest, I utterly disliked it.

The acting on the part of the main characters was very poor, and their movements were rather rigid and forced. At many points the audio wasn't even synchronized with the mouth movements, which is extremely easy to correct during editing.

They had the costumes and the technology, I'll give them that, but they used both in all the wrong ways. They overdid sub-par strobe light effects at several points in the film, and what little smoke they used did not conceal anything.

The xenomorph's mouths did not open when they vocalized, nor did they do so when they died. The heads used in the extreme close-ups did not match those used by the costumes.

The xenos were entirely bipedal, which did not make any sense. They were also remarkably slow, and seemed more like sitting ducks than fearsome predators.

The yautjas had some very unique masks, but at many points their own movements were confusing and stiff, and it was very hard to follow what was going on there.

Continuity errors are frequent, namely that there were xeno eggs which did not open even when they were poked, and that the xenomorphs appeared in the predator's infrared vision when they shouldn't have.

Very few of the sound effects from any of the previous films were used, and none of the camera angles followed up with what occured in the action scenes. It was just a set of flashes between pred helmets and xenos that didn't move their mouths.

Overall, I am sorely disappointed. They had the resources, funding, and props, but they did not use them properly. Points in the plot, such as the presence of government-engineered xenomorphs in an uninhabited forest, were left gaping and unanswered, and the acting was remarkably poor.

I'm sorry, Dave, but I simply can't say that this was better than AvP. Both were terrible films in my opinion, but I find that this one sank even lower...

855989_3.jpg
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

DeathLocks, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I loved this movie! This gives AVP a run for its money. I liked the story a lot better than AVP. Just what was up with the SWAT team wearing jeans? The aliens were awesome and of course so were the predators but Blades looked fine when the blades were not extended out and what was up with Scanner? What was the whole point of his mask? Oh well this ranks up there before AVP but not before Batman: Dead End.

dlocks.gif

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Aw, come on Dave! They can't be as bad as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvOhhEf_Q5o

Anyhoo, they certainly have a few leftovers, if they want to make another AvP flick. How many preds were there?

deathdrop1.jpg

I've done a few halloween fan films in my time, but they're far too pants to show!!

Here's hoping these guys do get together and put effort into another AVP fan flick, would love to see it.

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

I think they're working on a Hellraiser fanfilm (yay!) now, so maybe we'll see another AvP flick somewhere down the road. And I agree, the jeans and caps were unintentially funny.

deathdrop1.jpg

No mate, i didn't think it was harsh at all.

Yeah sure, like i said, it was just a fan film. Nothing high budget. I know how expensive it is to add the anamatronics to the alien props - i've been to plenty of conventions and spoke to some of the creators and crew working on the heads and they said it's mightily costly to get that sort of equipment.

The acting as i mentioned, was extremely poor, and the initial storyline was weak, but again, i enjoyed this much more than AVP which was a commercial hollywood movie made by proffesionals but just didn't make the mark it should've done.

I absolutely dispised the awful camera work used in the fight scene between Celtic and the Alpha alien, it was shades of the Blair which project, in other words, vomit inducing (Even though i love the BWP)

If they could've braodcast this over the net in high quality then the gaps in audio sync would've been cleared up, but compression from codecs can create this defect, as i have found when making my own videos.

(oh, and lol @ the swat team in jeans in and caps!)

In all, i think it's a great tribute from a band of guys who obviously love the two franchises, plus i thought the predator masks were fantastic.

Here's hoping they make another....

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Crow, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Sorry Dave, I know my overview was harsh, I was the editor for my high school film cl@ss (bloody filter) for all 4 years, and editing out the massive blunders (as only high school students can make lol) has given me a precise and critical eye for small things. :U

Some people call me a perfectionist when it comes to films, but there were quite a few mistakes in the actors' dialogue / movements that could have easily been avoided just by adding or subtracting a few miliseconds from the film...

As for the fight scene, between AvP and SEED, I was able to follow AvP much easier. I think the main reason for this was that there were just too many things going on at once in SEED, so it made the fight scenes more difficult. The overuse of extreme close-ups did not help, either...

I understand that their budget may have been limited, but if they couldn't have the xenos open their mouth / headbite / scream, then they should have at least had the people acting as xenos turn the mouths away from the camera.

Either way, budgeting still does not help explain the holes in the plot nor the blatant continuity errors which they intentionally introduced in the film, such as the xenos being seen by the preds and the xenomorph egg not deploying at all.

Besides, am I the only one who chuckled when 2 dudes wearing blue jeans and one sporting a baseball cap try to act as SWAT agents?

For a fan film, it was good, I'll give it that. The storyline was much better than that of AvP, but with a little extra effort on the bare bones of the film and a little less on the special effects, it would have been much better.

But, either way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that.

855989_3.jpg
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

Unknown, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I liked it yet... In my opinion it is an par with AVP. It had a better script but with the right acters and graphics it would of owned big time. Also if it was much longer and contained a bit more. Yet for a fan film it was a good attempt on there part.

Katam.jpg

.:MESSAGE BOARD, RPG RULES & INFORMATION:.

guys guys guys.

For all you haters - it's just a fan film.

It has neither the budget nor the proffesional team or crew to produce something equal to a hollywood movie. The audio sync was out because of the Divx compression, it happens alot, hell i should know, i'm a video editor myself. Of course the acting is going to be sub par, but common - the acting in AVP was terrible, and they were proffesionals! The fight scenes in seed were far better, you could actually see what was going on without the incrediby tedious camera work that AVP brought. As for the aliens, well, anamtronics for th head pieces are extremely expensive, i'm sure these guys had nothing but a shoe string to put most of this film together, i for one enjoyed this little piece alot, i actually watched it 4 times yesterday, which is more than i watched AVP in a whole year.

Pah, Paul Anderson eat your heart out.

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Stalker, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Ok, I've just finished watching it, & here's my verdict:

Note: may contain spoilers

Well I honestly have to say that I rather enjoyed this fanfilm. Although the way that it switched back & forth between certain scenes became rather confusing. I also didn't like the way that they just had the preds & aliens out on display right from the beginning, as it didn't leave much mystery to the audience. The acting was passable, & in some places seemed completely out of place. "Mission complete" made no sense, since pretty much everyone got killed straight away.

The last 10 mins of the film was all-out war between the preds & aliens, although it was skipping back & forth between so many different fights that it was hard to tell what was going on. The prescence of a badblood was only revealed after 2 of the preds just started fighting each other for seemingly no reason, as there was no buildup to even indicate that one of the preds was a badblood. A few of the predators looked rather ridiculous too. "Albino, Scanner" & "Blades" all seemed fairly ridiculous, & the hatch on the front of Scanner's mask seemed to emit some kind of green light, but didn't really serve any other purpose, which confused me a fair bit, & the idea of those massive wristblades extending
out of Blades' mask seemed pretty ridiculous, & Albino...well....just looked pathetic.

But enough bashing this film, it's time to highlight SEED's good points. For starters, most of the music & sound effects were taken straight from the movies, thus adding heavily to the authenticity (some of the sfx & music were taken from the games & other movies, such as The Chronicles of Riddick, still good though). Some of the fights were also quite good, especially the fight between "Blinded" & the alien under the waterfall. The old roswell footage showing the true alien autopsy video was eerily brilliant, & really kept me hooked throughout, the scene was also great at building tension & suspense.

Some of the predators looked quite good also. "Blinded" & "Crash" were amongst my favourites, & some of the pred scenes put a massive smile across my face as they harkened back to some of the more classic predator moments....."nice knife". The way they portrayed the aliens in the water was quite good aswell. Such as when u see the top of one of their domed heads gliding through the water like a sharkfin.

Overall SEED was quite enjoyable, & I would gladly watch it again. Although it does have some glaring flaws & obviously wasn't done on much of a budget (some scenes were actually filmed in one of the crew's backyard) it was still quite fun to watch, & was excellent for a fanfilm. Between this & Batman Dead End.....well I've still gotta hand it to BDE, that film was excellent. SEED was ok, but I still think that it had more potential.

thorndesignssig.jpg

cardmaster12595, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Just watched it and yeah...I didn't like it to much.They had the costumes and props and everything but the effects were over or under-done.The acting wasn't that great either.I'd actuelly choose AVP over this :x

MySig.gif

Voltage-3000, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

TRIPPY!!!!

metal16.jpg
There are two reasons men fight, to exist or to live

cardmaster12595, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

Looks great,I'm downloading it now...thank god for my great wireless laptop connection.This is only gunna take 10 minutes :D

MySig.gif

Stalker, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

I have heard alot about this fanfilm, although I never actually saw it for myself. I'm in the middle of downloading it now so I'll give u my personal verdict either later today or sometime tomorrow. If it's anywhere near as good as Batman Dead End this should be very interesting.....

thorndesignssig.jpg

I will say that I loved the connection to the rosswell crash. Also, the jungle setting rocked the house. I never thought the xenos would look any good crawling around trees and such, but this proved me wrong.
deathdrop1.jpg

lol, not much of it made sense, but hey, it had a better script than AVP, lol!

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Pretty good, although I had trouble understanding what was going on twoards the end.

deathdrop1.jpg

cutm3up, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

dam my internet failed at 64% im really mad now because i have to do it all over again

cutm3up.jpg
_______________________________________________ #FF0000
detonation!!!

When the time comes, are you prepared to risk everything, and face the wolves?

It's a big file, i wouldn't recommend people without braodband to download this!

Ahh what the hell, download it anyway, it's a damn cool film.

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

cutm3up, Xenomorph, 17 years ago

im downloading it now :P just the site looks impressive, dude ure a genious just for finding this site! only 3% downloaded :S

(p.s you know the html code for red text for my profile)

cutm3up.jpg
_______________________________________________ #FF0000
detonation!!!

When the time comes, are you prepared to risk everything, and face the wolves?