Alien resurrection - overlooked & underated?

daveberg, Xenomorph, 18 years ago

Thinking about it seriously, Was Alien 4 really that much of a let down? Sure it definately lacked the darkness and atmosphere of alien 3 but there were still some great scenes withing the production. The aliens escaping and onto the underwater scene was perhaps the most favourable sections of the movie for me, the CGI was reasonable, the aliens did actually look awsome and the characters weren't all bad. I do admit the story was something of a letdown, i left the cinema feeling a little robbed as we didn't really get to see Ripley at her best.

BERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
Messageboard Rules

Unknown, Xenomorph, 18 years ago

I think that A:R looks very nice from the screen shots I have seen, such as the underwater 'chase' scene. I have not seen any of the movies. Well, Alien 3, if you count switching to it every now and then when Halo gets boring.

I have also seen the clips on Ancherpiont essays. I must say, I quite injoy the Aliens movie and and screen shots.

From the reviews I have read, I think i like A:R a lot more than AvP, is because the Xenomorphs have a whole lot more intelligance.

Dalkar, Xenomorph, 18 years ago

I believe Res was a decent film though I do prefer the first three over Res

It was a possibility. Guess we've only got the legacy of AVP2 to look forward to now, sounds like both the seperate alien and predator films are done and dusted.

BERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
Messageboard Rules

Totally. Aliens one through three are legendary, i'm a big fan of the third movie, i think it was far too underated. Though Aliens is the real bread winner of the franchise, one of the best films ever. Period.

BERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

Stalker, Xenomorph, 18 years ago

To put it bluntly, res was a decent enough movie up until the point that the newborn was introduced. The movie didn't touch on the greatness of the others though. It was a decent stab at another alien movie but it will never be held in as high regards as the first 3 in most peoples eyes.

stalker.jpg

I actually didn't mind the majority of resurrection. The part that killed it for me though was the last 10 mins with the newborn, that completely ruined the end of what was, up until that point, a pretty decent movie.

The only other real letdowns were that the queen didn't really feature very much in the movie & the fact that Ripley's character wasn't quite as good as before

stalker.jpg

Yeah. The real dagger in the heart was the new born. Those who knew about the addition of a new 'strain' of alien before the release of the movie were hoping for something truly meanacing, not a pile of puke on legs. Ripley was a little underdeveloped in the fourth movie, her deep, haggered character from alien 3 never really shone through for Resurrection, which was truly, a real shame. But as stalker mentined - some of the action scenes in Resurrection were quite good, do i dare say some better than AVP.....?

BERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
Messageboard Rules

I thought res was better than AVP overall. But yeah, the newborn was a complete letdown in practically everyway. Some people even label it as "cute". Aliens are not supposed to be cute. Also the fact that the tub of white guts took the queens jaw off is almost an insult to the previous alien movies in the fact that that piece of guts killed what was probably the best alien design of all.

stalker.jpg

Indeed, you would've thought the queen would've taken a hit then stood up and lay the smack down on the new born. That wou've made for a great scene.

The part where the crew of the betty are trying to escape with the alien climbing the ladder after christie was awsome - some of the best shots of the alien you'll ever see.

BERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
Messageboard Rules

the_doctor, Xenomorph, 18 years ago

it started out good, the first half was defently really good, but then the whole newborn and the queen with the human reproductive organ stuff really just killed the film, and after reading what the newborn was supposed to be it ruins it even more, everytime i watch the film it feels like it shouldnt be to me its a just a cash grab film.

are you predator or prey?
http://huntinground.tripod.com/

yoyo.jpg

It's a shame, though in my eyes, alien 3 was a tough act to follow - i guess alien resurrection tried to be too many things it wasn't namely a mix between alien 3 and aliens.

BERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
Messageboard Rules

i personal think it sould have been left as a trilogy, alien3 was a perfect end to the franchise for me.

yoyo.jpg

Yeah definately, It was a great perfromance by Sigourney, i think fans would look higher on the franchise if it indeed ended on the third act. Trying to force the issue with one more was a mistake, though perhaps with a different story and alternative director they could've produced something a little more memorable.

BERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron
Messageboard Rules

yeah, if they had made something different with different chracters and plot lines then it could have given a second wind maybe even another seperate trilogy

yoyo.jpg

the newborn was a joke, i was waiting for someone to die laughing. The queen should of so beaten it to a small sick looking pulp. The rest of the movie was good though, i like the look of the aliens underwater.

to be honest, i think the third scarred me more than the first alien in my younger years. As far as resurection goes, i liked it for what it was, made me sad that the queen didnt kick much tail in that one, thats one reason AVP seemed better to me

~ IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT.
*evil predator laugh*